Advertisement

Ryanair

Offint

Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
Ryanair is setting up a new airline
Ryanair is set to launch a new airline in Malta, reveals The Irish Times. The carrier is believed to be in advanced talks with the government in Malta over the launch of an airline called Malta Air. The deal, expected to be announced soon, would see Malta Air initially operate with six aircraft before expanding to 12. Ryanair currently operates six aircraft in Malta under its own brand and was previously said to have shown interest in taking over the national flag carrier, Air Malta.

Advertisement

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Ryanair is setting up a new airline
Ryanair is set to launch a new airline in Malta, reveals The Irish Times. The carrier is believed to be in advanced talks with the government in Malta over the launch of an airline called Malta Air. The deal, expected to be announced soon, would see Malta Air initially operate with six aircraft before expanding to 12. Ryanair currently operates six aircraft in Malta under its own brand and was previously said to have shown interest in taking over the national flag carrier, Air Malta.
Now confirmed that Ryanair are starting up a new Maltese AOC based airline called Malta Air which will operate up to 10 Boeing 737-800s by next summer.

Source:

And here's the airlines new livery.
IMG_20190611_173902.jpg

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Will this replace Air Malta or join in. I can't see them both lasting the course of time and probably at the loss of Air Malta if that's the case, sadly.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
Will this replace Air Malta or join in. I can't see them both lasting the course of time and probably at the loss of Air Malta if that's the case, sadly.
Air Malta sadly have been struggling for quite a while and although they have received government backing in the past EU rules are preventing further aid which is probably behind the Maltese government backing the Ryanair move with the government holding a "golden share" meaning the government has ulitimate control over major decisions in the new set up.

Air Malta is and remains a separate business.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
It's a clever move as now Malta has its own legacy airline and it's own low cost airline and if one goes bust it won't drag down the other with it because they are owned separately.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
This new airline Malta Air thats being set up by Ryanair has nothing to do with Air Malta. The main priority for Ryanair is to get the said aircraft off the Irish AOC , This is because many of the European based Ryanair pilots are being double taxed to fly Irish (EI) registered aircraft.

Air Malta will continue to operate on its own routes and aircraft as its has its own niche in the market it serves, It will also continue to receive support form the local Maltese Government.

Advertisement

Top Bottom