MAX is causing untold damage to airlines and airports all over the world, will it ever get sorted ? I really am beginning to wonder
Whatever the outcome it is going to cost Boeing a lot of money

Well at this rate they will be no need for a new terminal!

1) Its absolutely nothing to do with max issues , its simply down to the very poor infrastructure with a terminal that's just not fit for purpose, and 2) yes other factors do include runway and weather issues and 3) MAN. Just get the bloody terminal built and decent infrastructure put in as I fear it may be too late!!

1) It is to do with the max. If they have strategically planned growth over the next few years with the MAX and they've not received them then they have no other option but to cut back. It may well be we were due to get a MAX or a max would replace an NG at STN - that comes to us. The aircraft disposed is then sold. I can imagine FR are also now wondering cost of putting some NG through C/D checks as they normally get rid of them before this - and it would have been with the MAX. - Below a quote:

I've been told they are expecting 2x based aircraft at LBA next summer 2020 consisting of 1x Boeing 737-800NG & 1x Boeing 737-MAX.

2) All Ryanair aircraft are EI registered. Therefore operate to a different international aviation authority (The Irish Aviation Authority). They have different interpretations of the ICAO/IATA rules and therefore are able to do what a G registered aircraft will not be able to do. This is why, sometimes, you will see a Ryanair get in in complete fog where a B737 from Jet2 or TUI will go straight into MAN. At the end of the day, there is a black & white rule and it is all to do with the two people, highly trained and skilled people, at the front to decide to attempt an approach or not/divert. Ryanair have experience of operating into LBA for a long time (longer then Jet2) therefore know the intricate details of LBA and it's unique weather.

3) I can't argue with that - Ryanair seen an opportunity in MAN just like Jet2 and have gone for it. MAN no longer have ZB/TC therefore there is defiantly an opportunity to do more out of MAN.

I also thought, heard/read, Ryanair like LBA from a profit point of view. I was always under the impression that they made a fair bit of money/revenue from LBA and the yield was better out of LBA then for example MAN.

Since posting the revised summer schedule 24 hours ago I've been talking to 2x LBA based Ryanair employees, they haven't being informed of any of the cuts that are currently showing on the Ryanair website.
I've been told they are expecting 2x based aircraft at LBA next summer 2020 consisting of 1x Boeing 737-800NG & 1x Boeing 737-MAX.
It's surprising also to be told that 20+ new cabin crew have just been recruited for the LBA base.

It looks like these latest cuts might be connected to the delayed deliveries of the Boeing 737-MAX aircraft and not the fault of the airport.
Hopefully once the deliveries restart LBA will get its based aircraft and lost routes back.

I really do hope somebody at Ryanair HQ in Dublin imform the Leeds based staff what the hell is happening, as they are in complete shock at my posting yesterday.
At the last Ryanair AGM we were told that no issues with the late delivery of MAX aircraft, as already they had agreed adjusted leasing dates for aircraft that should have left the company and the arrangements were flexible as no one knew when the MAX would fly again.
The issue outlined again at the AGm was the same as the year before, every seat being sold at a loss, rising prices at LBA with a worthy competitor will be hard, maybe better just to reduce the offer.
I doubt the infrastructure at LBA came in to play, for 3 years at the AGM, MOL has closed his ears to leaving the E.U. and the issues for the company, now the position of its U.K. basis will be decided. I am not sure what the position is regarding the transition extension to December 2020, is it still in place for air travel, changes may be forced on both this company and Jet2 with their Spanish bases.

Ryanair aren't bothered about this place, they are only bothered about Manchester...end of!!
exactly! and why is that, its so bloody obviously, the terminal,apron,runway and overall infrastructure at LBA. we can chat about it all day but many just cant face the truth! Look at it this way,in an industry like most where cost against profit is tight which airport would you base at... airport 1 - large passenger base, cramped terminal with 2250m long runway subjected to adverse weather with higher chance or divert or put in hold using up more fuel or airport 2- large passenger base again, ever expanding terminal to cope with passenger numbers with 2 3048m long runways subjected to less adverse weather resulting in less cost. I know where I would base an airline at or lets say the biggest majority of it at and a smaller part of the airline would be at LBA due to the chances of extra costs thru divert and of course due to the current restraints the LBA terminal has.

With all due respect to you, this is your opinion (which your entitled to) but it doesn’t make it true.
Whats that film with the famous line "you cant handle the truth" ! :) until this new terminal is built and better infrastructure is put in place LBA is a dead duck! like others on here have said January has to be the turning point!

Last edited:
The part I find disappointing is the deafening silence from the Airports PR machine !
We all have our own theories as to what has driven this decision but if lbaspotters information is correct we will have lost an awful lot more seats than Doncasters Flybe operation earlier this year.
We knew within 24 hours about the link road plans being canceled via the press and not even a comment on the matter by them so far.
I can only imagine how disappointed they must be to be let down by the local government who now seem to have a new agenda to limit growth when most of us thought they at last had come on board to be a partner for the future.
With the present stance any runway or other than agreed planning applications, would probably not be approved so how do you push forward with any development plans with no support.
The only news we get is bad news so fingers 66 crossed for the meeting in January to put a smile back on all our faces.

The Orange airline won't come to LBA unless we have a far better terminal than we have now.
The part I find disappointing is the deafening silence from the Airports PR machine !
We all have our own theories as to what has driven this decision but if lbaspotters information is correct we will have lost an awful lot more seats than Doncasters Flybe operation earlier this year.
We knew within 24 hours about the link road plans being canceled via the press and not even a comment on the matter by them so far.
I can only imagine how disappointed they must be to be let down by the local government who now seem to have a new agenda to limit growth when most of us thought they at last had come on board to be a partner for the future.
With the present stance any runway or other than agreed planning applications, would probably not be approved so how do you push forward with any development plans with no support.
The only news we get is bad news so fingers 66 crossed for the meeting in January to put a smile back on all our faces.

I am sure LBA would have known that the axe was dropping on the road schemes before it was announced, but what do you expect them to say? They are, no doubt, disappointed, but the building of roads is up to the council and not something they can do themselves. Given they need the council to be very much on board with them with regard to any future developments they may wish to pursue, they are not going to endear themselves to the Council by coming out publicly and criticising their decision. Sometimes it is better to say nothing and just get on with it.

I was listening to the local radio on Friday. The first hour of the Liz green phone in was about the airport link road. On this show and the news bulletins during the day they read out a press statement from the airport in response to the news. Wasn’t anything controversial and generally seemed to be that the airport were pleased the train station was going ahead. I’m sure the show is still available on catch up (12pm on Friday)

I did not hear that press release but I am sure the management could have maybe put something on the web site even if it was only about the commitment to the rail station.
Was it you who provided the stats for passengers arriving at Manchester by public transport to depart by air being less than 12% of the total even with trams buses and a trainline direct to the airport.
It maybe true saying nothing is best but that sends a message they have got it right when even the avid supporters of the airport managers are disappointed that the two are not going to be tied together.
None of us 24 months ago would have predicted Monarchs demise or the loss of almost all our Thomas Cook flights and a massive cut back by Tui at Lba plus now a potential serious damaging semi-withdrawal by Ryanair who seem to have decided Lba is the place to make cuts whilst adding flights at Manchester Liverpool and other Uk airports.
That is the problem with stats they only tell you what has happened and allow a sensible prediction of the future but so many things can happen to change the situation.
What do you predict the loss of passengers will be as a result of all these cuts if Ryanair go ahead with 29 flights a week being terminated ?
Lbaspotter suggests this may not happen if we end up with a Max and and NG based in summer and maybe Jet 2 will pick some flights up but I suspect the eastern european destinations will disappear if they go down to one based aircraft.

The Ryanair cutbacks are now making it even harder to travel from LBA on the cheap. With Jet2 dominating and charging a large fortune whilst they do so. I was always hoping they would further expand at LBA as there is so much potential for them to do so with the routes that they currently serve from other airports. However, it now looks as though it wasn't meant to be. Orange your our only hope...

Just trying to book flights in the summer holidays to Palma. It will cost me £530 more for my family to travel from LBA versus MAN. It seems FR have caught on to the lack of competition at LBA. Let's hope for the orange.

Haven't a clue I'm afraid a300boy. Not too interested in what anyone does at MAN unless it is a destination I want to go to and it isn't available from LBA. Previous examples are Funchal, Thessaloniki and Vienna. Of those 3 only Vienna is missing from the LBA list now and I wouldn't want to go back to there again as my pocket was picked whilst there. Caused me no end of problems at the time.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock