Problem is that the Airbus order book for alternative aircraft is full for years ahead so it would be a very long, impractical wait.
True Len - but at some point a decision has to be made doesn't it? The longer they wait for the MAX, the longer they will have to wait for another aircraft type if the MAX doesn't fly. It isn't as though Boeing can offer them anything else in that size now is it? They have put all their eggs in the MAX basket.

Problem is that the Airbus order book for alternative aircraft is full for years ahead so it would be a very long, impractical wait.
Which ever aircraft is bought in the future, we need to know properly checked as fit to fly.
Foolishly I thought the FAA over saw the safety of every Boeing aircraft, we know find out they delegated this responsibility to Boeing, when modifying an existing version.
The EASA basically rubber stamp FAA certification, what measures have they put in place now they know Boeing did all the testing and decided the plane fit to fly.
The same goes for the checking of the Airbus range, full checking of the 737 range has revealed two problems with the NG version, are their any hidden Airbus problems, have their been occasions were EASA has allowed Airbus to self certify a new Airbus version say the new A320.
The contract between South West and Boeing for the Max shows the financial pressures, Boeing contracted to reduce the price by $1 million per aircraft, if no simulator training required for Max pilots, Boeing then managed to convince the FAA no simulator training needed.
It shows the huge training costs and the pressure on the management not to reveal the true scope of the MCAS to the FAA.

Its so telling that the relationship between Leeds/Bradford Airport & Ryanair is not good at the moment when you see them continuing to expand from other side of hill.
3+ more new routes announced from Manchester to Copenhagen (daily), Kerry (twice weekly) and Paris Beauvais (4 times weekly) commencing in March 2020, as part of Ryanair’s extended UK Summer 2020 schedule.

Last edited:
It’s crazy to think that we’ve gone from a 3x Ryanair base, 2x Monarch base (that was going to be x3) and 1x TUI base alongside Jet2 and now we just have Jet2 essentially.

I genuinely believe that this was a perfect excuse for Ryanair to slash routes and bases and now they have reduced to a single aircraft, it will remain a single aircraft until such time that they no longer operate a base from LBA. It is absolutely no surprise to find that MAN has announced a number of new routes on the back of losses at LBA. The only reason LBA got a Ryanair base in the first place was because Ryanair was in dispute with MAN. Now that Manchester Airport Group is in charge at Stansted, there was only one way that relationship was going to go for MAN, to the detriment of LBA.

As for the MAX, I can't help feeling that it is dead in the water and it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn in the not too distant future that the aircraft is scrapped, probably along with the 777X. The 787 was an incredibly ground-breaking aircraft but it cost Boeing a heck of a lot of money to produce. Following initial teething problems, it is revolutionising air travel and has influenced products like the A350 and Bombardier C Series/A220. The MAX and the 777X now just look very old fashioned relatively. Boeing started cost cutting left, right and centre after the 787 and this is where they have been left. Even IF they can resolve the problems with the MAX, they face an enormous compensation bill on every single plane they sell, they will probably have to fund all of the training themselves, they will lose orders to Airbus and, EVEN THEN, the company and the airlines will struggle to win over the public when it comes to using the MAX. Let's not undervalue that fact. I reckon there would be a massive fall in ticket sales for the likes of Ryanair if they start using the MAX, particularly if O'Leary publicly pushes for their expedited entry into service. I know he is the King of outlandish statements but even he is not infallible and should be far more wary of the public perception of these aircraft. After all, even before the MAX was taken out of service, airlines were offering refunds to people who didn't wish to travel on them.

Any statement made by O'Leary as to the predicted delivery date of the aircraft should be widely ignored. They are not even being BUILT right now, let alone released to customers. Even if they do come in to service, LBA will not regain the lost routes.

@whoshotjimmi it has just been announced by Boeing that the first 777X aircraft will make is maiden test flight this Thursday, January 23rd 2020, subject to weather and other factors.

Any statement made by O'Leary as to the predicted delivery date of the aircraft should be widely ignored. They are not even being BUILT right now, let alone released to customers. Even if they do come in to service, LBA will not regain the lost routes.

As for the Boeing 737-MAX I understand Boeing have already built at least 20+ of Ryanair's airframes along with 3+ for Buzz which are all parked up in storage at either Boeing Field, Renton or Moses Lake.

Last edited:
I'm going to stand by my statement regarding both the 777X and the MAX, despite Boeing typically trying to prove me wrong just minutes before I offer my sentiments. Recent message releases from Boeing show that there are similar concerns within Boeing about the 777X as the MAX. It's already way behind schedule and customer confidence is at rock bottom. There is A LOT of work to be done on that aircraft and they may well find that coming up with a new design will be more cost effective in the long term, particularly as environmental concerns have suddenly become a massive thing everywhere except in Donald Trump's head. The 777X is a compromise that already looks outdated. Look how quickly the A380 became obsolete as a design and that was a truly innovative design.

As for the MAX, regardless of whether some of the airframes have already been built, Boeing still has to understand exactly what went wrong in both crashes, has to finish designing a fix for the MAX, has to find a way of retrofitting that design to a plan that is already signed off and in production, affix it to their test aircraft, put their test aircraft in the air, resolve any troubles they may find as a result of testing, design simulator training based on the results of the test aircraft, convince the regulators that the aircraft is safe to fly, regain their safety certificate, recall all aircraft already delivered, retrofit every aircraft that has already been built and/or delivered, restart their building, fitting and finishing programme and train every single pilot who will be flying the aircraft.

They won't be delivered in April.

If ever.

Its so telling that the relationship between Leeds/Bradford Airport & Ryanair is not good at the moment when you see them continuing to expand from other side of hill.
3+ more new routes announced from Manchester to Copenhagen (daily), Kerry (twice weekly) and Paris Beauvais (4 times weekly) commencing in March 2020, as part of Ryanair’s extended UK Summer 2020 schedule.

Is it though, If LBA is currently full there isn't the room to expand?

Is it though, If LBA is currently full there isn't the room to expand?

Not true if you do the maths.

I agree LBA was full until it lost 2x Ryanair's, 2x Monarch's and a based Tui aircraft. It was that bad they were parking aircraft overnight on the taxi-ways which we know one airline wasn't happy about.

Sadly LBA will not be full with night stopping aircraft this summer. 18x Jet2 aircraft (15+ operation & 3+ spare) , 1x Ryanair, 1x KLM and a Eastern Airways making 21+ night stoppers on 24 stands. A situation made a whole lot easier without the Boeing 757-200s around as well.

Last edited:
Oh dear, Might not be good for LBA as Ryanair are not ruling out further route cuts and Job losses due to the Boeing 737-Max delays.

LBA management need to be strong and allow Ryanair to walk away, if they wish for price concessions. Ryanairs departure may just be the news a rival requires to start at LBA.
In 2009 Ryanair were prepared to close their base at Manchester, with the loss of 600 jobs, so no base is safe, especially as the companies financial situation is not good and the information released on fuel prices and German losses this month add to the known financial problems.
Last August the company announced that 500 pilots and 400 cabin staff had to leave and then in September at the AGM we were told passenger numbers would be cut by 5 million for 2020 and this 900 number would increase, even if contracts not renewed and normal slippage of staff occurred.

Ryanair's moving out was sadly nothing to do with us...they are just consolidating into MAN to save costs. I'd be amazed if they increase flights again at LBA but at least we aren't like like FR's Portugese base airports where they pulled out altogether.

My guess is that Ryanair may close the LBA base but still operate a large number of flights into LBA from their other bases such as ALC,DUB,AGP,PMI, so we still get a fairly large program from Ryanair. Easyjet always like to be the number 1 or 2 main airline at an airport so it gives them chance to open an LBA Base.

If Ryanair say they can't make a profit at LBA wouldn't that make Easyjet more cautious? Airlines want to move into airports where theres little risk.

Glasgow is a bigger city than Leeds and look what they did to them. I too can see the base being pulled and extra W legs instead.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock