Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
The Forums4airports media gallery is set up so people can rate pictures. Here's our guide to rating photos on Forums4airports or on other photography media platforms.

Here we use a 5* star rating. Each time a photograph is rated the site will show an average of the overall rating to give a balanced rating of the photograph. It can be extremely difficult to rate photos as everybody views them differently. More often than not people rate photos higher than they should, some will rate photos lower than they should. If you wish to participate in rating photos please read our guide to rating photos first.

We recommend a 5* star rating if the picture has got that 'wow' factor. Its more an emotional reaction than anything else, but obviously technique and quality play an important role in this. This rating should be reserved for all but the best.

We recommend a 4* star rating if the picture is excellent, fantastic composition, subject, technique and quality. But for whatever reason, it is lacking that extra wow factor.

We recommend 3* stars for a good picture with an interesting subject, composition and technique. Also for an average picture where the subject was a good idea, with an average execution - lacking something, but not a bad picture by any means.

We recommend 2* stars for photos showing minor problems with technique, composition, quality etc, slightly below average, but again - not a bad picture. Photos worth submitting but showing problems with technique, composition, quality etc.

We recommend 1* star if the photo was a bit of a let down for whatever reason - veering into the realms of being a bad picture.

We recommend 0* zero stars for images with lots of problems, not a very nice picture, rubbish idea, rubbish execution. A bad picture overall or dire photos, piss takes, photos that should have been deleted from the camera the second they were taken and never allowed to go anywhere near the internet.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
If I'm honest I stole the guide from another forum. It is a bit harsh maybe because after all we should be thankful the said person has shared their aviation pictures at all. I haven't checked but I think it's possible to opt out of ratings when you submit your photos.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Thanks for posting that Aviador, as I had wondered what the scores should represent. There is an element of common sense to it really, and when I have rated photos, I have used something similar. Its obvious that different people rate photos using different criteria - one of my photos was rated a 5 when I thought it was a decent photo! I would rather it not be rated than get a 5. Yet others that were far worse were given 8's!

Hopefully this might enable anyone who wants to rate photos to be 'singing off the same hymn sheet' (so to speak)

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
5 was a bit mean but at least when other people take part the ratings will average out to show a more accurate rating.

I've changed the scale slightly but If anybody feels it needs changing again please feel free to add your two penneth. :s_yes

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I think the problem with rating is that members are rating the quality of photo, whereas some of the photos I posted were not intended to be there a 'good photo' - more just a memory of a rare aircraft the visited. For example my photo of a Boeing 707 freighter taken from Whitehouse Lane is a poor photo - I know it - but its all I could get, and owts better than nowt. It was rated as a 5 and in terms of the quality of the photo I would agree, but it seems to be missing the point a little. A couple of others have now been given 5's too, but the one that puzzled me was an earlier one of the Balkan Tu154 landing on runway 14, which to me is quite a decent shot, even for a scanned photo its not too bad, yet it was rated 5. Other photos are are simple pics of a taxiing aircraft and therefore have no difficulty associated with getting the photo scored highly.

I guess it is all down to the individual, but I do think that 'interest value' should be taken into account particularly when posting old photos from the past.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
I've updated the photography rating guide as the site operates a 5* rating system, not the 10 which was previously showing.

Top Bottom