Is there a particular reason why that journey is so bad turbulence wise?
Not that I was aware. It was just a much longer period of turbulence than is normal on that route (in our experience anyway, and a cabin staff member said it was the worst she had experienced in terms of the length).

[QUOTE="TheLocalYokel, post: 157866, member: 56"

I use EK 380s each year between the UK and Australia and turbulence is a frequent occurrence on the UAE-Oz sector, especially over the Indian Ocean.

A couple of years ago we experienced the worst turbulence I've ever endured in the sense of its degree over such a long period. For nine hours of the 14-hour Melbourne-Dubia flight we experienced almost continuous turbulence, some of it so severe that the cabin staff were strapped in at times with the 380 bouncing around the sky.[/QUOTE]

I've experienced bad turbulence several times, flying over the equator and the Indian Ocean.
I think that the 'Coriolis Effect' has a big impact here. Due to the rotation of the Earth, low pressure systems and tropical storms rotate anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. This creates turbulence for hundreds of miles to the north and the south of the equator, where the air currents meet.

Add to this, winds over the Himalayas, which can cause high altitude turbulence for hundreds (even thousands) of miles and you can have many hours of a bumpy flight.

Kevin

Awesome video mate, i know you love a bit of spray. :ROFLMAO:

Also i see it all the time but the BHX runway makes me chuckle everytime, its just so up and down.

Blake Edgington has finally released his flight review of Jet2 from Malaga to Birmingham.

I've been looking forward to this one as I was on the same flight and the back of my head makes it's Youtube debut :)

I never got to speak to him but if he reads this forum then I apologise for crashing through your summary in car park 5 with the wife, kids and luggage in tow :shamefullyembarrassed:

Yes there are cold air flows from the Antarctic meeting much warner and humid Indian Ocean flows - this courses significant turbulence to be generated at high level normally above 35,000 to 60,000 feet right where those 380s are flying !

Similar warm and humid air turbulence forms over the Indonesian archipelago and then moves north coliding with dryer aIr off the Asian continentental mass. These are formulative of the regions storms and typhoons

It’s among the most active air masses on the planet !

The 380 could have taken off without the runway extension. Amazing how long it takes to reach the same height as the tower. Great big lump. It would be good to see more from that vantage point.

The 380 could have taken off without the runway extension. Amazing how long it takes to reach the same height as the tower. Great big lump. It would be good to see more from that vantage point.
isn't it the stopping distance available if take off is aborted that determines what length runway is required?

Hey all, I filmed a late Ryanair takeoff at Birmingham recently. I guess Ryanair isn't just famous for their hard landings!

Link:

Airline review - Jet2 BHX-AGP by Blake Edgington

At the start of the video, he states that he is flying to Malaga to get married.
I don't know if he ever visits F4A, but I'd like to take this opportunity to wish him and his future wife a very long and happy future together.

I always enjoy his videos, as I find them concise whilst giving a very good overvue of the airline.

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock