Advertisement

Flybe

Foxlimayankee

Jan 21, 2017
South
But if they then withdraw from the regional airports that need them the most then what is the point of them?
I think it's time to realise that some routes can't be sustained at certain airports. If those routes performed so well, there should be other Airline knocking on the door soon.
We all know you're referring to CWL specifically, which at the moment is actually retaining some of it's domestic routes, which ones isn't clear yet.
So yes, I agree, there is plenty of need for Flybe, but that's to do what it was meant to, connect regions, not European cities and holiday destinations 2 hours away. They can't compete on those routes against EZY and FR with the aircraft they have. The Embraers clearly haven't worked and the Q400 is now the core aircraft, but without the range. Flying 88 people from the regions can no way compete with 156+ seats in terms of seat cost. To keep prices down you need better economies of scale. People will travel further, away from regional airports, to get cheaper flights with low cost carriers

Advertisement

Flybeboy

Sep 17, 2018
Devon
I see the ejet 175 order for 4 due this year and 4 more ex cardiff and doncaster are to go to leaving only 7 x 175s in fleet. They will go soon as well id guess as they seem to be going all dash8. Maybe that undisclosed order for six dash8s yesterday is flybe, they will need more if they are going to replace the 175, 195 with dash8. So 6 195 and 4 175 going plus cancelled 4 175.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #243
I see the ejet 175 order for 4 due this year and 4 more ex cardiff and doncaster are to go to leaving only 7 x 175s in fleet. They will go soon as well id guess as they seem to be going all dash8. Maybe that undisclosed order for six dash8s yesterday is flybe, they will need more if they are going to replace the 175, 195 with dash8. So 6 195 and 4 175 going plus cancelled 4 175.
Unless in the long term they essentially plan to retreat to MAN and LHR and just close all the other bases and just feed Virgin. Won't need an order for planes then.

Foxlimayankee

Jan 21, 2017
South
Not likely Jerry. Not enough slots at LHR for an extensive operation and not enough VS/DL flights out of MAN to support lots of connectivity.
Bearing in mind KL Cityhopper has 50 Embraers and an extensive network to feed in AMS. Flybe have 54 Q400's. They will continue the regional flying that makes money and make chops elsewhere for unsustainable routes.
One thing VS needs to get it's teeth stuck into is the customer service/disruption handling and rebuilding the reputation. Once all of this mess is out of the way whilst under the Flybe brand, I can't see the rebrand to VS/Connect being far behind to try and wipe the slate clean.
Flybe have handled this week appallingly allowing news to be issued in bits, without certain clarity, which has led to uncertainty amongst it's own employees and the travelling public.

Flybeboy

Sep 17, 2018
Devon
Word is its not just the sun routes going from exeter, norwich is going and thats a pso and others under review are london city. Understand they want to make manchester 4 dailey, its only 4 x dailey on mon, thurs, fri and they want amsterdam 2x dailey or at least 12x weekly but cant get slots at amsterdam, they could only get 8x a week. So the dash routes might change to.

jfy1999

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2015
Birmingham
Does anyone know what the terms of the takeover deal have to say about the preservation of the Flybe brand - whether the continued existence of the brand was agreed as part of the takeover, or whether it could be dispensed with in the future?

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
Does anyone know what the terms of the takeover deal have to say about the preservation of the Flybe brand - whether the continued existence of the brand was agreed as part of the takeover, or whether it could be dispensed with in the future?
I have no knowledge of this, but why would a new owner agree to restrictions on what they could do with the brand? I would be surprised if Virgin/Stobart/Cyrus didn't have absolute freedom to continue or rebrand as they wish.

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull

Carl0927

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Regional carrier Flybe has announced it will stop using its Embraer jet aircraft at Cardiff, Doncaster, Exeter and Norwich in favour of its 78-seat Bombardier Q400s.

The aircraft swap is part of Flybe’s wider base review, which has seen the carrier reduce capacity on less popular routes in order to cut costs by returning its 118-seat Embraer 195s to lessors.

Flybe says yesterday’s flight cancellations were not related to the base changes.

CEO Christine Ourmieres-Widener said yesterday that the airline had hoped to avoid job losses over the reductions.

The last jet flights at Exeter will be on 26 October, as Flybe will switch to the Bombardier twin-propeller aircraft for its winter 2019/20 schedule. Norwich will lose its jets from the same date, but Flybe says services operated by franchise partner Eastern Airways will not be affected.

PART OF AN ARTICLE FROM 'BUYING BUSINESS TRAVEL '

Apr 15, 2017
Devon
In addition to the ejets being dispensed with from late October, I wouldn't be surprised if some/all of the eleven Dash 8's on lease to Flybe are also returned to their leasing companies.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
Doubt if Flybe know themselves at present to be honest but they definitely need a plan which presumably thats what they are working on.

Advertisement

Top Bottom