Status
Not open for further replies.
If they think they can get the seat-mile savings said to come with the 90-seat Q400 and obtain a viable package to purchase or lease the aircraft then their fleet, jet and turbo-prop, would at least have basically aircraft of the same size in terms of seats. How realistic it would be for Flybe I have no idea.

Thanks for posting. I had no idea that larger Q400s were in such an advanced state of production.

If they think they can get the seat-mile savings said to come with the 90-seat Q400 and obtain a viable package to purchase or lease the aircraft then their fleet, jet and turbo-prop, would at least have basically aircraft of the same size in terms of seats. How realistic it would be for Flybe I have no idea.

Thanks for posting. I had no idea that larger Q400s were in such an advanced state of production.
It would give them bigger capacity on some of their more popular routes, i don't know if it's possible but i wonder if they'd consider converting some of their current fleet rather than buy or lease. There is also talk of the Q400s getting new cabins similar the new CRJ cabins.

I've noticed quite a few complaints on social media about Flybe lately concerning cabin baggage. It looks like Flybe are enforcing their size rules and ir seems to be catching people out resulting in a £40 charge. Makes you wonder how much money Flybe have lost in checked bag fees in the past when they haven't enforced these rules!

I've noticed quite a few complaints on social media about Flybe lately concerning cabin baggage. It looks like Flybe are enforcing their size rules and ir seems to be catching people out resulting in a £40 charge. Makes you wonder how much money Flybe have lost in checked bag fees in the past when they haven't enforced these rules!
Some people, and not just with Flybe, seem to get away with considerably oversized cabin bags at times. It seems a bit of a lottery that can depend on individual airline checking at an airport which the same airline might not enforce as rigidly at another airport.

There are people who appear to believe that handling staff with some airlines (I'll leave readers to guess which airline is frequently quoted) have weekly or monthly targets for excess baggage charges. I have no idea whether that's true.

I have no sympathy with people caught with oversized bags. They know an airline's conditions when they book or they should do. If they don't bother checking it's their own fault when they are caught.

I smile wryly when I read on such sites as Skytrax posters giving an airline 1/10 because the cabin bag rules have been enforced.

It's a horrible talk airline representatives have to face enforcing airline restrictions. The abuse then can sometimes receive from passengers is totally unacceptable.

It's a horrible task airline representatives have to face enforcing airline restrictions. The abuse then can sometimes receive from passengers is totally unacceptable.
Lots of people believe that rules and laws don't apply to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
VIRGIN ATLANTIC PRESS
19 December 2018:

Following our statement on 23 November 2018, Virgin Atlantic confirms that we continue to review our options in respect of Flybe, including potentially making an offer for Flybe. Discussions with Flybe and its management are continuing. Virgin Atlantic emphasises there can be no certainty that any offer will be made nor as to the terms upon which any offer may be made.

Background:

In accordance with Rule 26.1 of the Code, a copy of this announcement will be available at https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/media-centre.html by no later than 12 noon (London time) on 20 December 2018. The content of the website referred to in this announcement is not incorporated into and does not form part of this announcement.
N.M.Rothschild & Sons Limited ("Rothschild & Co"), authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom, is acting exclusively for Virgin Atlantic and for no one else in connection with the subject matter of this announcement and will not be responsible to anyone other than Virgin Atlantic for providing the protections afforded to its clients or for providing advice in connection with the subject matter of this announcement.
For record – Virgin Atlantic statement on 23 November 2018: “Virgin Atlantic notes the recent media speculation related to Flybe. Virgin Atlantic has a trading and codeshare relationship and confirms that it is reviewing its options in respect of Flybe, which range from enhanced commercial arrangements to a possible offer for Flybe. Virgin Atlantic emphasises that there can be no certainty that an offer will be made nor as to the terms of any offer.”

That's good news!
Good news that Flybe will be saved however in reality you could say a shed full of bad news is possibly on the way for some airports yes we will have to wait and see however Flybe today won't be the same in a few months time with Virgin taking control.

Good news that Flybe will be saved however in reality you could say a shed full of bad news is possibly on the way for some airports yes we will have to wait and see however Flybe today won't be the same in a few months time with Virgin taking control.
I think it's a case of wait and see. The partnership with Stobart could see them take on more of the regional bases or give Flybe the ability to get aircraft cheaper to expand at MAN while keeping the rest of the network in place.

It will be interesting to see if this one goes through as the share holders look to be hammered again at this point and I wonder what IAG make of this given a large part of Stobarts operations involve the UK wide franchise for Aer Lingus so presumably that will go pronto. If the Virgin deal does go through given the extent of Flybe's, AF and KL ops to Amsterdam and Paris from the UK that will also be ripe for consolidation. The biggest prize seem to be the feed for them into MAN now and maybe LHR longer term.

It's possible IAG might counter bid to try and stymie Virgin and Delta on the transatlantic it wouldn't be the first time BA have bought someone out to protect themselves particularly if they are playing a longer game regarding RWY3.

Just thinking out loud but will be looking on with interest at the share price over the next few days.

Share price down to around two pence this morning which is in line with the bid. In 2010 the company floated at nearly three pounds a share. It's been an almost continuous decline since then. Strategies and senior managements have come and gone but no-one was able to truly get this company onto an even keel.

To have dropped to the current level shows what a mess the company is in. It might be a case of shareholders agreeing to the boards's recommendation to accept this deal and get thmeselves a few crumbs or see Flybe fold with nothing likely to come their way.

It's possible IAG might counter bid to try and stymie Virgin and Delta on the transatlantic it wouldn't be the first time BA have bought someone out to protect themselves particularly if they are playing a longer game regarding RWY3.
Would IAG even care? Is MAN ever going to rival DUB as a trans atlantic hub and even with Runway 3 i'd have thought they'd be more concerned about Easyjet or Ryanair turning up than Virgin. They might even see it as a good thing as Virgin will now be distracted by their new short haul venture.

It looks like it's a full re-brand to Virgin Atlantic for Flybe under a new company business name of Connect Airways a consortium of companies including Virgin Atlantic and the Stobart Group.

Would IAG even care? Is MAN ever going to rival DUB as a trans atlantic hub and even with Runway 3 i'd have thought they'd be more concerned about Easyjet or Ryanair turning up than Virgin. They might even see it as a good thing as Virgin will now be distracted by their new short haul venture.

Absolutely they would. This deal isn't about saving flybe, or stobart growing, it's about VS, one of BA and EI's main competitors, placing themselves in a position to grow. If VS didn't do this they would remain fairly stagnant, as MAN couldn't grow without more structured feed. Not all of BAs passengers come from London, if MAN is an alternative option from the Midlands, the North or by flying down from Glasgow or the southwest, then BA lose out.

Absolutely they would. This deal isn't about saving flybe, or stobart growing, it's about VS, one of BA and EI's main competitors, placing themselves in a position to grow. If VS didn't do this they would remain fairly stagnant, as MAN couldn't grow without more structured feed. Not all of BAs passengers come from London, if MAN is an alternative option from the Midlands, the North or by flying down from Glasgow or the southwest, then BA lose out.

I think you have made a valid point. The likelihood is that a Virgin consortium-owned Flybe (or whatever they will call it if they gain control) will see more feeds into MAN with CWL an obvious one.

Air South West flew BRS -MAN not so long ago. I wonder if the new consortium would consider restarting the route.

I made the same point in the BRS route thread.

Train services from there are to good and same for Cardiff
Can't see many people from the Bristol area travelling three hours by train to Manchester when Heathrow is much closer. If Virgin wants to tap into the relatively affluent West Country market it might have to consider a link to MAN.

LHR has so many other options that Virgin can't be sure that their airline would the choice of us Wurzels when we go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock