Status
Not open for further replies.
If this happens (and I sincerely hope for this company it doesn’t) then it suggest the new owners are simply going to replicate all the faults of their predecessors.

Stabilise the business, get it to profit and think about expansion only once a few consecutive years of profit have been delivered. Anything else is madness and will surely drive the business into the floor.
I think it depends whether they are for expansion or something specific ie a Virgin branded short haul operation out of Heathrow or to replace the E175s.

Given that the involvement of this would now likely include flybe execs, Stobart execs, Virgins Execs and even Delta execs, one would hope they know what they're doing.
Previous jet deals were overpriced and poorly negotiated, can't imagine the same mistake will be made

What next for Flybe?

Listening to the radio this morning with respect to the Flybe problem, I was struck on how " London centric " some of the commentators appeared. In particular the APD tax which was meant to be for environmental issues ( £13 each way for domestic was quoted ) . By loosing Flybe on regional routes it will simply be a nightmare to travel say from Southampton to Newcastle.

The alternative is driving or Cross Country Trains, both are not environmentally kind, indeed cross country trains are all diesel. So where has the money gone from the tax to give us greener transport, I don't see a big expansional in electric regional rail links.

Of course London has amazing transport links to all parts of the country, it feels again the regions are being short changed.

I think the era of passing off APD as some kind of environmental tax has long passed.

Flights departing the UK
Flights arriving in the UK
Transit in the UK less than 24 hours

If it was really about the environment, APD would be applied to all 3, but currently is only applied to the first - flights departing the UK.

Of course London has amazing transport links to all parts of the country, it feels again the regions are being short changed.

To be fair every BBC News piece I've seen since the weekend has made the point that Flybe operate half of domestic flights outside London.

Listening to the radio this morning with respect to the Flybe problem, I was struck on how " London centric " some of the commentators appeared. In particular the APD tax which was meant to be for environmental issues ( £13 each way for domestic was quoted ) . By loosing Flybe on regional routes it will simply be a nightmare to travel say from Southampton to Newcastle.

The alternative is driving or Cross Country Trains, both are not environmentally kind, indeed cross country trains are all diesel. So where has the money gone from the tax to give us greener transport, I don't see a big expansional in electric regional rail links.

Spot on Carl..The old joke about North of Watford is absolutely true. I used to live in the south many moons ago. Nothing has changed. Everything has been London centric no more no less. Maybe a good thing might have come out of this Flybe mess and that is to focus thinking `Up North` , re think the stupid APD which is and always was, more money for the central budget (nothing else). Mind you these 3 so called `saviours` need to be forced to put more money into Flybe, seems their promises a year ago didnt match reality..

Last weekend Simon Calder was stating that the rail journey from Exeter to LONDON has improved so much making the air route less attractive.

Not even mentioning that, the Exeter to London route is relatively recent addition, but in fact there are a whole host of other REGIONAL routes from Exeter which are a real pain to reach without an air link.

Many years ago I think the government used to have more of a transport policy for the UK, including air link. That's gone and it just down to the market, whether that is right or wrong, I won't say, but it is wrong that valuable links are lost between centres. That certainly won't assist various cities growth and improvements .

I think the era of passing off APD as some kind of environmental tax has long passed.

Flights departing the UK
Flights arriving in the UK
Transit in the UK less than 24 hours

If it was really about the environment, APD would be applied to all 3, but currently is only applied to the first - flights departing the UK.

To be fair every BBC News piece I've seen since the weekend has made the point that Flybe operate half of domestic flights outside London.

But it is being quoted on the radio news this morning that APD is for the environment.

Last weekend Simon Calder was stating that the rail journey from Exeter to LONDON has improved so much making the air route less attractive.

Not even mentioning that, the Exeter to London route is relatively recent addition, but in fact there are a whole host of other REGIONAL routes from Exeter which are a real pain to reach without an air link.

Simon Calder is best taken with a decent pinch of salt

In addition it was mentioned this morning, its all about connecting the regionals and the example was not a trip to Paris. Ok so using Exeter again, it shouldn't have a connection to Paris, because that just a luxury for weekend breakers. So does not tourism generate wealth also, passengers will come from Paris to Devon too. what about allowing businesses in Exeter to transfer in Paris for other countries.
All of these options seem to be fine for the capital, which has Eurostar too btw, which never went beyond London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock