"CX have been reportedly delighted with this, and want to make the route 8x weekly either with the B77W or A359."

Dobbo, have you actually read anything by CX to this effect? Out of interest, I asked at the CX office desk in T2 at MAN early summer I think it was, and they said they were hoping to get more flights for the winter. When I asked again in the autumn, I was told (by a different person) that the flights were always busy but there was nothing in the pipeline for increased frequency. Of course, it's not unusual I imagine for a local station to press for more flights but for Head Office to decide other priorities.

There is a press release somewhere, I forget now, but Rupert Hogg of Cathay Pacific did go on record to say that Manchester was performing ahead of expectation.

The fact MAN was the only European destination mentioned in the press releases due to get an expansion of flights (despite that expansion put on hold) shows that MAN must be high on the pecking order.

I trust CX when they say the only thing stopping them expanding MAN is the labour problems, they seem to be happy and committed to MAN, and the performance of the route indicates expansion is needed.

In terms of the worry if expansion of 3 more B77W flights is too much, remember, it's also what is being carried in the hold. The B77W is pretty much a freighter aircraft with space for passengers. Cargo on the MAN flight is so strong, MAN holds the Cathay Pacific record for heaviest B77W flight due to the cargo carried with passenger load accounted for too.

I think it can be achieved. The MAN-HKG O&D market is obviously strong, as is the transfer market on the Kangaroo route.

I'd like to see SQ try the same formula.

Thanks User001. I wasn't disputing CX had said something along those lines. It was just that I'd not seen it.

And cargo in the 77W of course. Do you happen to know what the cargo capacity of the A350 is, and how it compares with say the A330s? I keep track of the pax LF each month but freight carried is not readily available.

Has Cathay suspended their Thursday flights. I've looked on Manchester arrivals and there isn't a flight,and also FR24 isn't showing CX357. Or is it now operating on a different day?.

I'm sorry they have aircraft issues, when they get round to it I'm sure either a 7x or 8x weekly service would be a sucess.

Anybody know how these flights are doing and what's the load figures for this summer ?

Is their any official in pipeline for some big movements in regards to Cathay! :)

Well the next move appears to be to increase frequency to at least a daily service. What has held it back are labour issues and the delays to the A350.

What we don't know is whether the plan remains to use the A350 or the B77W. There is a compelling case to use the larger aircraft when it becomes available when the A350 displaces it.

I would hope that by the end of the year we will get some news on this. I think 7/8x weekly will be the outcome.

There was a comment on BBC TV Business this morning that CX got it wrong hedging fuel prices, expecting them to rise when they didn't. But also it was pointed out that with more international air services direct to mainland China, there was less need to fly via Hong Kong to get there.

As the CAA are hopelessly behind with the monthly stats, we haven't seen any figures that could indicate whether or not HU had any impact on CX at MAN in June and July. Of course, spanners@cx on another forum might know if someone cares to ask him, but whether he would divulge any information or give any clues is another matter.

Last edited:
I think it is definately more likely to see Hainan Airlines increase to daily than Cathay Pacific - they are also using a smaller A330-300.

I know there is the Hinkley Point argument but thay could be sorted out and doesn't deter the need for a route between Manchester and China.

It is a shame that Cathay Pacific is making losses as it is an extremely reputable airline offering a wealth of onward connections from HKG and they also have a partnership with BE.

I wish we could see the data as to whether CX had taken a hit from HU.

Cathay Pacific have started multiple new long haul routes after a long period of going steady.

New routes cost money (new staff, advertising, bedding in wig lower fares initially etc), so, profits were going to be down.

Not losses Ethan, but net profits were down 82% in the first half year to 353HK$ (£35m), with revenue down 9.2%.
Sorry Land23R! I regretfully wasn't looking into the details of the articles and just assumed.

Quote from Ivan Chu in the Bloomberg article on Cathay profit drop:

"Cathay will add more flights to the U.K. and continue to make long-term strategic investments including in lounges, Chu said."

I assume this means the LGW service in September? But DUS is starting in Sept also, and yet UK was singled out.

Grasping at straws probably...

They have stated their desire to increase frequency at MAN. The present service has proved popular over a sustained period of time.

Whether that translates as a daily B77W/A350 or not I don't know. It would be good to get it up to that stage, and also to improve premium facilities for Cathay/OW in the TP.

Possibly, I suspect they would consolidate manchester before expanding elsewhere in the UK.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock