Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
300,000 fly from airport to Poland

MORE than 300,000 passengers have whizzed from Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport to Poland.

Airport bosses said passenger numbers between the borough and the eastern European country have reached another milestone in the two-and-a-half years since routes were launched.

Currently Wizz Air operates flights from Doncaster to the Polish cities of Gdansk, Katowice, Poznan, and Warsaw.

Katowice has been the most popular route with more than 122,000 travellers to date, followed by Gdansk with around 85,000.

Airport bosses are hoping the strong Polish Zloty currency will further boost passenger numbers.

Around three flights a day depart from Robin Hood to Poland with Wizz Air.

Source

• Admin
Does 300,000 passengers travelling to Poland from Doncaster amount to more than 30% of passenger traffic?

I think it means since they started 2 and half years ago they have handled 300,000.... The argument that the Zloty currency will 'boost' numbers is a bit contradictory to the reason for the flights in the first place dont you think? The only reason most came here was due to the strength of the pound!

Polish people do not come to DSA as tourists although Katowice is a traditional mining region.
The pound is again strong against PLN for some reason but weak against the Euro.
All very confusing I know.

The pound is again strong against PLN for some reason but weak against the Euro.

I know where to go on holiday this year then :wacko:

I have been told they have done a 'Peel deal' with LPL and DSA contracts signed. This will be the reason for the press spin release. I would assume that the services will be sticking around for some time in one form or another. Whether the workforce it is solely dependent on will continue to support it is another matter entirely.

• Admin
Taste of Poland as Wizz Air celebrates fifth birthday

ROBIN Hood Airport has celebrated the fifth birthday of one of its major airlines, Wizz Air, which offers affordable flights from Doncaster to Gdansk, Katowice, Poznan, and Warsaw in Poland.
To mark its birthday, the airport celebrated with passengers departing on the midday flight to Warsaw with Polish treats from Doncaster town centre restaurant Kuchnia Polska, and a birthday cake.

Jodi Stow, marketing and communications manager at Robin Hood Airport, said: "We are delighted to be celebrating Wizz Air's birthday today and to be able to give our passengers a little taste of Poland before they reach their destination.

"Wizz Air have established a strong presence in the low cost market and lead the way for access to and from Poland for the South Yorkshire region and beyond."

Up to two flights a day depart from the Airport to Poland with Wizz Air and travel time takes around two-and-a-half hours.

Source

Hi

Wizz Air are to announce yet another new route from Doncaster-Sheffield Airport.

This time it will be a new twice weekly service to Vilnius in Lithuania which will commence from mid April 2011.

Flights are on sale on the airlines website but have not been publically announced by the airport or local press as yet.

This is definately one airline who seems to be sticking with DSA when most other operators have come and gone. Good news for the airport though, not so much for the expansion of LBA however big or little it will effect im not sure but well done to DSA, sure it will provide a good pax throughput to add to their needed total.

• Admin
Type Rated B767 said:
This is definately one airline who seems to be sticking with DSA when most other operators have come and gone. Good news for the airport though, not so much for the expansion of LBA however big or little it will effect im not sure but well done to DSA, sure it will provide a good pax throughput to add to their needed total.

I agree but can 'Vilnius' really pull in the UK leisure and business market? I mean who on Earth wants to travel there?

Aviador said:
Type Rated B767 said:

I agree but can 'Vilnius' really pull in the UK leisure and business market? I mean who on Earth wants to travel there?

Okay maybe not Vilnius. Dont FR fly there from some of their UK bases...does anyone know how well they do?

Still, its good to see some sort of dedication and sustainability from a non-uk airline like Wizz to the airport.

I think Vilnius should prove popular. The catchment area is far reaching beyond South Yorkshire, as I do not think there are any other flights to this destination from the north of England. Apart from recent EU workers using it, there are many Lithuanians living in Bradford and Leeds who escaped from Russian oppression in the 40s, 50 and 60s who have relatives they go to see, and vice versa.

I agree - if someone specifically wants to go to Vilnius (and not Kaunas, which is the only other airport you can fly from UK-Lithuania), there is only a choice of two airports in the UK (from April at least), those being Luton and Doncaster. Wizz Air seem to make all their routes from Doncaster a success, so no doubt this will be as well! :)

Aviador said:
Type Rated B767 said:

I've been to poland and hungary and czech republic for city breaks and all those old central europe destinations are fascinating. It seems to me that prague has taken over where amsterdam was so popular for short breaks and as more cities open up then you get how lovely prague was 10 or 15 years ago before it became too commercial and expensive.
Amsterdam nowadays is a bit horrible, full of english people on stag and hen parties throwing up and misbehaving. Prague is now similar, so it makes sense to try other less popular destinations before they get spoiled by becoming too commercial.

Apart from the extra Vilnius flights by Wizz Air this coming summer, can anyone tell me if the Polish destinations frequency per week, are an increase in 2011 on 2010.

I have to say, I am really impressed with Wizzair and the way the operate. They have built up their DSA operation to an impressive level.

eastcoaster said:
Apart from the extra Vilnius flights by Wizz Air this coming summer, can anyone tell me if the Polish destinations frequency per week, are an increase in 2011 on 2010.

There will be no increase to Poland,but Wroclaw is up 1 flight a week but this is off-set by a reduction by 1 flight a week on the Warsaw but by the sounds of it we were lucky to keep the route because of cut backs at Warsaw as some other airports did not retain the route.
So
Gdansk is 4x weekly
Katowice is 4x weekly
Poznan is 3x weekly
Warsaw is 2x weekly down from 3x weekly
Wroclaw is 3x weekly up from 2x weekly

That's an impressive number of flights to Eastern Europe.

I see Gdansk is x4. Has the route seen any decline since Ryanair opened up their Leeds - Gdansk route?

jason1-11 said:
I see Gdansk is x4. Has the route seen any decline since Ryanair opened up their Leeds - Gdansk route?
The frequency hasn't changed since Leeds started, but I think it was originally two or three weekly. Wizz Air give Ryanair a good run for their money when it comes to pricing - indeed I only paid £30 return when I flew DSA-Katowice, booked about a month in advance - so the Leeds flights will more than likely complement the DSA ones as opposed to compete with them.

Passenger-wise, most of the Polish routes out of DSA have seen drops, but I understand that it's probably to due with the fact that many Poles are deciding to return back to Poland due to the start of the jobs market/economy here at the moment. There is still a huge Polish community (and Lithunian, I presume!) in Doncaster and the surrounding areas though, so I think there will be a market for DSA-Eastern Europe for a while yet!

I have no idea how FR is effecting Wizz on the Gdansk route but all I do know is that the FR flights from LBA are always very busy. If the flights can work side by side from both airports, that's great.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock