Full article: https://www.boeing.co.uk/news-media...ces-in-birmingham-key-wedgetail-supplier.page

Boeing Names STS Aviation Services in Birmingham as Key Wedgetail Supplier

• Conversion work to bring more than 100 highly skilled jobs to the West Midlands
  • Work to be done at the site formerly operated by Monarch Aircraft Engineering at Birmingham Airport
  • STS Aviation Services joins UK suppliers Leonardo and Ridge on the programme

LONDON, May 20, 2020 -

Boeing [NYSE: BA] has selected STS Aviation Services and its Birmingham site for the conversion work on the United Kingdom's fleet of five Wedgetail Airborne Early Warning (AEW) Mk1 aircraft.

The conversion work – turning commercial 737 Next Generation airliners into a modern airborne battle management fleet – will create more than 100 highly skilled jobs: 90 with STS Aviation Services and 30 more with Boeing. The Birmingham-based employees will join the 50 Boeing employees already working on the Wedgetail programme throughout the UK, including at Bristol, Yeovil and RAF Waddington. The new work will be done at the hangar formerly operated by Monarch Aircraft Engineering at Birmingham Airport.

The Royal Air Force (RAF) announced in March 2019 a contract for five Wedgetail aircraft, guaranteeing the UK the world's most effective AEW&C aircraft at a fixed price. The Wedgetail's advanced radar and 10 state-of-the-art mission crew consoles can track airborne and maritime targets simultaneously, allowing crews to direct offensive and defensive forces while maintaining continuous surveillance of an operational area.

I am curious to know if these are new build or white tails? I earnestly hope the MOD are not considering the use of redundant aircraft which may have issues as our military deserve only the best available equipment and not another Nimrod or Chinook situation.

An interesting visitor for a variety of reasons,G-TUMF B737 MAX8 is due in tonight at approximately 18:00.
It is the aircraft that has been stranded at TFS since the grounding of the MAX aircraft.
It Is routing via AGP, and I believe flying under specific rules and regulations(very non standard),for obvious reasons.
Hopefully this is the beginning of the return to service for this beleaguered aircraft type.Maybe STS will see a number of MAXs’ in the near future to help bring this aircraft up to the required standard for service.

It goes without saying that this is subject to change,but worth looking out for.

Approximately one year on since STS took ownership of the facility.

And not really seen much activity tbh, apart from a couple of NEOS 787's ?? I thought they were supposed to be getting those 737's from Boeing to convert into military style aircraft ? :unsure:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock