Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Gatwick sues Ryanair for £1.2m in row over check-in fees

Gatwick Airport is suing Ryanair, the low-cost airline, for £1.2 million in a dispute over check-in fees.

The lawsuit, filed in the High Court in London, relates to fees that Gatwick charges airlines for using check-in desks at the airport.

Gatwick claims that Ryanair has refused to pay the full amount owed in 342 invoices issued since the airport changed its pricing structure in 2004.

The lawsuit says that Ryanair has paid some fees but owes Gatwick £1.2 million, which the airport is demanding as well as interest and undisclosed damages for breach of contract.

The dispute relates to changes made in 2004 when Gatwick switched to charging airlines per passenger checked in, replacing a system whereby airlines rented check-in desks by the hour.

A spokesman for Gatwick said: “We consulted with around 100 airlines that use Gatwick and everyone but Ryanair accepted the changes.”

Ryanair was still paying according to the previous system, the spokesman said, adding that the airport had tried to negotiate with the Dublin-based airline before turning to litigation.

Ryanair said: “We rejected Gatwick’s claims as more monopoly rubbish. There was no justification for Gatwick’s threefold increase in check-in desks in 2004, and Ryanair looks forward to exposing Gatwick’s latest monopoly rip off in Court.”

The legal action is the second filed against Ryanair relating to airport fee increases in less than a year. In July BAA, the owner of several large UK airports, sued the carrier over its refusal to pay a 7 per cent increase in landing fees at its airports.

Source

• Admin
Ryanair adds Stockholm Skavsta

Ryanair are to launch a new daily route from Gatwick Airport to Stockholm Skavsta this winter.

The first flight will depart on November 5, with fares on sale from £15 until August 27 for travel until March 2010.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock