I would rather have them than another....yawnfest...rotation to Alicante or even a connection to Orlando (sorry Ray) If a few flights on from Ashgabat to India or China or Japan bring people to Brum rather than taking investment away then I am very happy. If they are good enough for Frankfurt then I will take that.

I wouldn’t those Alicante flights go out full multiple times a day and same aircraft can do 3 or 4 rotations a day at 189 seats at time.
Those same passengers WILL SPEND more in the shops at the airport -categorical fact !

And sorry that Turkmen flight will be bring in few if any businessmen to trade with !

No and is going to sound so racist but its full of Sikh pilgrims not willing to shell out for the equally cheap service offered by Air India and well with a very few gas engineers from time to time

Frankfurt is heavy freight BOTH ways and a little banking helps to Oil the wheels so to speak such as Eco Atlantic Oil & Gas .- Birmingham not in the same league afraid to say !

Having read the posts over the last few days I just wanted to clear up a few generalisations and hopefully post a different view to these flights for everyone to consider.

As mentioned Turkmenistan's primary market on these flights is to Amristar and they are catering for the price sensitive customer. Those looking to pay more will choose Air India direct or Qatar. They (Turkmenistan) know their place in the market and the fact they have been flying the route for 20 years must mean they have a loyal customers.

When we frequent aviation sites and read about yields and loads I often find people paint a picture of all economy travel is low yielding and the market to certain regions in the world are low profit because it's mostly VFR traffic. This is not always true! Of course it's virtually all economy travel on this flight but it's not an A380 with 60 lie flats and a massive premium economy cabin! As such Turkmenistan are not operating with the same cost base as British Airways or Singapore therefore, the potential for profit is there.

Let's remember some of these Indians settled in the UK are second or even third generation in well paid jobs so while it may be VFR traffic don't incorrectly presume all travel is low yield.

I wouldn’t those Alicante flights go out full multiple times a day and same aircraft can do 3 or 4 rotations a day at 189 seats at time.
Those same passengers WILL SPEND more in the shops at the airport -categorical fact !

You never noticed the large number of meet/greet turning up at the airport with Asian passengers? If they are traveling in their own cars then the airport is benefiting from parking - not cheap and certainly beats buying a few sandwiches in the shops!

No and is going to sound so racist but its full of Sikh pilgrims not willing to shell out for the equally cheap service offered by Air India and well with a very few gas engineers from time to time

Come on mate, you can do better than that...surely you can. Please take it easy with the stereotyping!

By the way, I'm not Indian nor have I ever been to India, but I for one welcome these flights and hope to see Turkmenistan return soon. If you want to see cheap economy fares try LHR.

Just to finally add rutamrkd. I am not as concerned about holiday makers spending a few quid at BHX and then spend their cash abroad (their choice, I hope they have fun no problem with that). That will not make the city region prosper.

What will make the city region prosper is people from elsewhere visiting or living or investing. That is the type of traveller we need at BHX by the plane load.

Just to finally add rutamrkd. I am not as concerned about holiday makers spending a few quid at BHX and then spend their cash abroad (their choice, I hope they have fun no problem with that). That will not make the city region prosper.

What will make the city region prosper is people from elsewhere visiting or living or investing. That is the type of traveller we need at BHX by the plane load.

You are correct and are admirable valiant chear leader for the city region; I fully get and support your points and references, however it just as, no its more important that the West Midlands CBI and the West Midlands branch of the IOD along with a significant numbers of the regions SMEs get off their collective a**es and sell their wares themselves.

Attend trade shows (Oft seen a waste of time and money by many British businesses of all sizes and that a shame ! ), use the web more effectively and have the banks actually support a global effort along with government agencies.

For the SME type enterprises prevalent within the West Midlands and indeed across much of the country without the bank and DFI support exporting is financially very risky - Dealing with letters of credit and similar instruments can produce detrimental cash flows that many SMEs simply don’t have the tools and indeed money to handle.

The West Midlands had a perfect local champion in the Baron of Birmingham -Digby Jones however lately his lack of critical thinking over Brexit has reduced my own opinion of him.

Suffice to say imho its up to Brumies, Wulfrunians and Godivas to get out there (Nothing has prevented them in the preceding forty years certainly not Brussels) . No one will simply turn up because the local airport has a flight to XYZ . No that flight to XYZ is a product of the first part of the paragraph.

A330 i am actually just putting TUA in perspective (Its a nice to have connection - ALL are) - A state carrier carrying relatively low yielding organic blobs from A to C using geographical advantage .
Low yield doesn’t necessarily correlate directly with socio economic class either .

Ians point as I understand it is one of getting British based (indeed West Midlands Based businesses) to Export more in the global market place, post Brexit (ignoring the fact that those aims and risks haven’t /won‘t change significantly from today - WTO tariff schedules remain unchanged in many of these markets) and that developing air routes will stimulate this growth.

Historically this really hasn’t been the case at all - No air travel follows quite a way down the economic curve in liberal and competitive economies (China isn’t one of those !)

Thanks rutamkrd. I'm just coming from a different perspective with the Ashghbat link and ok, I won't be expecting a huge business delegation on the next Turkmenistan! :)

I'm with Ian, I want to see the politicians concentrate their efforts on bringing new routes to the region where there is demand. For example, Birmingham and Leicester (to name only two) create a huge demand for flights to Amritsar and India as a whole. Why should these passengers endure two hours on the M40 or M1 when the data shows there is demand for a viable service? To add another couple of hours of road travel to a connecting flight means the door to door journey could be the best part of a whole day. I know it's their choice but it bugs me the local politicians and central government don't do more to reduce road travel and encourage people to use their local airport - again where possible.

The above applies to all UK airports. (y) I have no doubt the data will show some of the bigger airports are creaming off passengers that could otherwise be flying from their local airport.

Although not BHX related, it's interesting to see Turkmenistan have selected Luton as their London Airport after dropping Heathrow, hopefully it won't have too much of an effect on BHX passengers.

Turkmenistan have largest passenger loads in Birmingham, it would be ideal they kept Birmingham as domaine destination expand to more routes meaning Jeddah, Karachi and Lahore aswell as Dhaka.

Luton is shocking small hub and I am not sure if it will work, having Birmingham coaches to Standstad for Air India Amritsar flights is also shocking and should have been increase in service in Birmingham.

Turkmenistan Airlines to resume flights to the UK, Birmingham

Turkmenistan Airlines (T5) has announced that starting, Friday the 13th of December 2019, flights from Ashgabat (ASB) to Birmingham (BHX) v.v. will be resumed.

Winter Timetable 2019/2020 from Birmingham, UK
BIRMINGHAM - ASHGABAT​
FRIDAYSBHX-ASB12.5000.10+B737T5 426
ASHGABAT - BIRMINGHAM​
FRIDAYSASB-BHX 09.1011.00B737T5 426
The Turkmenistan Airlines fleet consists of only modern Boeing (717,737,757 and 777) aircrafts. All international flights are operated in a two-class configuration: Business and Economy Class. The weekly return flight to / from Birmingham will be operated by a modern Boeing 737-800. Turkmenistan Airlines is the only airline offering non-stop flights between the United Kingdom and Turkmenistan.

Flights willl be bookable soon online at https://www.flyturkmenistanairlines.eu/reservation. For any pre-bookings please send us an email. Thank you for choosing Turkmenistan Airlines.

(y)

I have also noticed that they have taken off sale the new LTN service.

I have also noticed that they have taken off sale the new LTN service.

No room at the inn now they have reached their 18mppa limit.

Birmingham Airport @bhx_official

Turkmenistan Airlines returns to service today at #BHX, and will initially operate a weekly service to Ashgabat on Fridays until February 2020 where services will increase

ELqsi8XX0AED4g3

Welcome Back to Birmingham International Airport - Love Turkmenistan Airlines nice Meals and Cusine excellent cabin crew well done. Making the British Asian Community Happy and me darling happy too must cry JOY. Merry Christmas 2 all my darlings x x x

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock