Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Drug searches for SA flight crews

The drugs were discovered at Heathrow airport in London

All baggage belonging to South African Airways staff will be searched, the country's airport chiefs have announced after crews were found carrying drugs.

The searches are part of a strict new regime being introduced by the airline and Airports Company SA (Acsa).

They have set up a task force including police and customs officers to try to stamp out smuggling.

Twice in the past month huge quantities of cocaine have been found in baggage belonging to crews flying into Britain.

The most recent find took place a week ago, when customs officers uncovered 5kg (11lb) of cocaine in luggage at London's Heathrow airport.

SAA has neither the capability nor the mandate for broader policing and security matters

Chris Smyth

CEO, South African Airways

On another flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow in January, 50kg (110lbs) of cannabis and 4Kg (8.8lbs) of cocaine was discovered.

The crews of both flights were arrested and later bailed as the police continue their investigation.

As well as luggage searches, the new task force is also proposing to increase the number of sniffer dogs used by customs officials, and to install new scanners and detection devices.

Airline boss Chris Smyth said South African Airways (SAA) could not resolve the issues alone.

"SAA has neither the capability nor the mandate for broader policing and security matters and we have requested assistance via the task team," the South African Press Association quoted him as saying.

Acsa's Bongani Maseko said he would continue to work with SAA, the police and customs.

"We wish to assure all parties concerned that every possible measure will be put in place over and above the prescribed international standards to reduce criminal activity at the crew centre," he said.

Source

[textarea]Flight attendant jailed after trying to smuggle drugs in bra and pants

A flight attendant who tried to smuggle cocaine into the UK via Heathrow in her bra and knickers has been jailed for seven years. South African Airways employee Elphia Dlamini had £120,000 worth of the drug in her underwear after arriving on a flight from Johannesburg. But her plot was foiled when a sniffer dog nicknamed Clever Trevor detected the scent of cocaine on the 42-year-old on arrival at Heathrow.

The air stewardess hid 3kg of cocaine on her body during the flight which arrived in London on the morning of June 26. On landing, the entire crew was subjected to customs examinations during which the drug was detected by the highly-trained springer spaniel. Dlamini, from Cape Town, pleaded guilty to importing a Class A drug in August, and was sentenced to seven years imprisonment at Isleworth Crown Court this week.

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
The flag carrier founded in 1934 according to Wikipedia. It will be sad to see it disappear from our skies if they can't refinance their debts. The company website appears to be still live so the airline must be flying on free will.

I'm guessing they'll have to sell some aircraft. I'd have thought the A330s are the most valuable of their aircraft assuming they own them as i doubt there would be many takers for A340s!
From what i've read about them they seemed to be embrioled in corruption a lot and the government does keep baling them out but you have to wonder how many more times they can do that.

Don`t worry, SAA is the free taxi service for the ANC Government and despite what they say, they won`t let it go bust. Its a basket case and way beyond redemption but it will still continue to fly.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock