BALPA union has just announced that the UK pilots it represents at Ryanair are to stage a series of strikes after voting in favour of industrial action in a dispute over pay and conditions .

UK Ryanair pilots set strike dates | BALPA

www.balpa.org
www.balpa.org

So far 2 strike periods have been confirmed.
  • From 00:01 on Wednesday 22nd August until 23:59 on Thursday 23rd August
  • From 00:01 on Monday 2nd September until 23:59 on Wednesday 4th September

Ryanair's press release in response to todays' strike vote.

STRIKE ACTION BY PILOT UNION BALPA (UK) HAS SUPPORT OF LESS THAN 30% OF RYANAIR PILOTS
07 Aug 2019

Dublin 7 Aug – We are disappointed that the pilots union BALPA, is threatening to disrupt our customers travel plans during late August, early September, when it has the support of less than 30% of Ryanair’s UK pilots.

The independent result of BALPA’s ballot shows that less than 50% of Ryanair’s UK pilots are members of BALPA, and of these, just 57% voted in favour of industrial action. This is less than 30% of Ryanair’s UK pilots. It is notable that over 70% of Ryanair’s UK pilots are either not members of BALPA, or did not vote in BALPA’s ballot, or voted against industrial action. BALPA have no mandate to disrupt our customers holidays and flights, particularly at a time when UK pilots are facing job losses due to the Boeing MAX delivery delays, and the threat of a no deal Brexit on 31 Oct.

Last year, Ryanair’s UK pilots agreed a 20% salary increase, with Senior Captain’s earning up to £180,000 p.a., which is more than competitor airline pilots in Norwegian or Jet2. BALPA is recommending a pay freeze for Jet2 pilots in return for improved rosters (which Ryanair pilots already enjoy), and/or 12 months unpaid leave for Norwegian’s Gatwick pilots.

This BALPA industrial action has no mandate from Ryanair pilots, is ill-timed just 10 weeks before Brexit, and will cause unnecessary disruption to customers holidays and travel plans. We have written to BALPA asking them to return to talks, and we apologise sincerely to customers for any uncertainty that BALPA’s ballot may cause them. We hope BALPA will now work with Ryanair to minimise job losses instead of undertaking ill-judged and ill-timed industrial action.

New country for Ryanair as they'll be launching routes to Tbilisi and Kutasai in Georgia.

Last edited:
Comparing the schedules in November and in January;
FAO is 6x based in November and down to 3x based aircraft in January
TFS is 6x based in November and closes at the beginning of January
LPA is 4x based in November and closes at the beginning of January
ACE is 2x based in November and closes at the beginning of January

BFS seems to close at the beginning of November, however at the moment the timings of 1x AGP and 2x STN flights are showing as operated by a BFS based aircraft. I'm assuming this will change over the coming weeks rather than have 1x aircraft operate 3x flights a week!

It's reported there was a Europe-wide Ryanair systems failure this morning causing problems with checked-in baggage. One person said that some of their party were left behind a departure from Stansted because of the failure.

Do people think that passengers will readily get on a Ryanair Max8 plane ?

Ryanair To Close More Bases Over 737 MAX Delay

Ryanair has announced that it will further slow down its growth plans for next year due to the Boeing 737 MAX delays. The Irish carrier will close its bases in Nuremberg and Skavsta due to the postponements.
Boeing 737 MAX
Following a series of delays, Ryanair has has to make further amendments to its operations. Photo: BoeingUnexpected turnout
According to a press release sent to Simple Flying, the airline has informed investors of delays of its planned summer 2020 growth. This is based on Ryanair receiving just 10 MAXs rather than the 20 that it previously hoped for. Subsequently, its expected traffic growth for the financial year ending March 21, 2021 has been reduced to 156 million passengers.
This is down from the 157 million guests that it previously estimated. As a result, this has meant that Ryanair has had to close two more of its Germany and Sweden bases. Additionally, the company expects to cut its summer capacity in several other existing bases.

(from simply flying.com)

Do people think that passengers will readily get on a Ryanair Max8 plane ?

Whilst some people may, do most Ryanair passengers (and passengers of any airline in general) know what type of aircraft they're getting on.

Especially when all of Ryanair's aircraft are 737's, just different variants, I doubt most would even know they were on a MAX aircraft!

Also I seem to recall Ryanair have dropped the MAX name and have B737-8000 painted on the side of the aircraft!

Whilst some people may, do most Ryanair passengers (and passengers of any airline in general) know what type of aircraft they're getting on.

Especially when all of Ryanair's aircraft are 737's, just different variants, I doubt most would even know they were on a MAX aircraft!

Also I seem to recall Ryanair have dropped the MAX name and have B737-8000 painted on the side of the aircraft!

Yes I think they have renamed it, nevertheless I bet they rather it was airbus they had made their big order with.

They are calling it something like a 737-8000, I always use my wife as an example of someone who has no idea of what type of aircraft were on the only time she has ever identified an aircraft in over 40 years is to quote "is that a jumbo " (correct) I think most people do not know or particularly care one way or the other.

They are calling it something like a 737-8000, I always use my wife as an example of someone who has no idea of what type of aircraft were on the only time she has ever identified an aircraft in over 40 years is to quote "is that a jumbo " (correct) I think most people do not know or particularly care one way or the other.

Unless they start dropping out of the sky of course !!

I understand the airlines predicament and the situation we're in is extremely worrying but is it somewhat preemptive to start announcing such large cuts before we really know the economic outcome of the pandemic?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock