Ryanair

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
He never wanted unions and now he feels vindicated and closing a base is his answer. Yet, do we know if the German business is failing and needed pilots to be flexible or is it a simple case of bosses vengeance? Was there mention of closing routes to UK& IRELAND?

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
He never wanted unions and now he feels vindicated and closing a base is his answer. Yet, do we know if the German business is failing and needed pilots to be flexible or is it a simple case of bosses vengeance? Was there mention of closing routes to UK& IRELAND?
I seem to recall three or four bases in the UK were considered as under threat of closure. I think it was Leeds, Prestwick and Bournemouth. I think Leeds crew accepted a pay cut, not sure about the others.

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Ryanair have a certain way to working.

Announce a base is not viable, demand salary and airport/supplier costs are cut or they will close the base, if there is not suitable accommodation by the effected parties you may get one last chance otherwise the base is closed and the most profitable routes are operated by away based aircraft.

Simple - Yes

Immoral- probably

Profitable - definitely

Meanwhile last year 140 million plus people chose to fly with them.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Thank you Rollo, the perfect concise answer to my query. If Ryanair revert to type, they may transfer to alternative stations in Germany or open up a minor airport and become the main operator on terms to suit them!

For reference, I have never purchased a low cost but always travelled on legacy or flag airlines. I preferred the trimmings and the back up provided!

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

Interesting article about Ryanair profitability at various airports.

We often read discussions about a base at an airport for an airline that already serves that airport, but is a base the be-all and end-all? I've argued a number of times in forums that with an airline that has so many bases (as with Ryanair) an airport can be served well without having a base. Furthermore, using 'non-based' aircraft can smooth out peaks and troughs at some airports that are already bases for other airlines.

So I found it interesting to read this about Tenerife South.

Tenerife South stands out. And not just for a CAGR* of almost 10% since 2010.

Despite closing as a base, with its routes now using non-based aircraft, the airport performed very strongly: it was #38 for seats yet #9 for profit, with an approximate €60 million.

* compound annual growth rate

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
Again, as with the Easy analysis in the previous post, it would be interesting to see the same analysis done once Covid-19 is out of the way as much will change in the period between now and then and test all airlines and their decision making and choices me thinks.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net

superking

Premium Member
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2013
It sure is a good base for Boeing to get it self in the market again with a good product hopefully.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
And this follows shortly after a TV advertising campagn for fares from £19.99 following the vaccine roll-out. I wonder how many punters were taken in by this campagn and handed over their money for flights that won't take place now. It all sounds like par for the course for Ryan though doesn't it.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
And this follows shortly after a TV advertising campagn for fares from £19.99 following the vaccine roll-out. I wonder how many punters were taken in by this campagn and handed over their money for flights that won't take place now. It all sounds like par for the course for Ryan though doesn't it.
They are a business and like any business will be trying to get revenue into their bank in what is uncertain times same as any other airline, while at the mercy of government travel bans.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.