TUI have pulled their Tenerife and Rhodes routes from Aberdeen starting 2024 and many locals up here are thinking it’s because they have had the heads up that Jet2 are coming and will lose a significant amount of custom to them although I would think would be 2025 at the earliest as it’s probably a bit too late now to announce for 2024 but I may be wrong.
I can't see Aberdeen ever being a base for Jet2. North East Scotland has a population of under 800,000 people I believe.

Sorry to take this back off topic but regarding new base, goes against what CEO recently said when asked - just wondered what’s changed?

Re. NEO, yes expected tomorrow for visit only.
I wouldn’t expect any ceo to lay their company plans out for all to know…

Nothings changed, expansion has alway been the plan, it’s been reported and is known they want to double the size of the business within a set time and have nearly 150 Airbus models on order/options.

I wouldn’t expect any ceo to lay their company plans out for all to know…

Nothings changed, expansion has alway been the plan, it’s been reported and is known they want to double the size of the business within a set time and have nearly 150 Airbus models on order/options.
No, course. However this was relayed to internals via a roadshow when asked whether there would be any new bases. ‘Not for a couple of years’. Course they are adaptable, and everyone accepts there will need to be new bases with planned growth, but in the near future? Recall 2016 before STN BHX there was a general awareness that bases were going to be announced but not locationally specific.

Again where are Jet2 getting the fleet from to facilitate a new base? If I recall they usually like a base to enter a “maturity” stage before starting another. I’d say there’s still a lot more that could be done in Bristol.

Again where are Jet2 getting the fleet from to facilitate a new base? If I recall they usually like a base to enter a “maturity” stage before starting another. I’d say there’s still a lot more that could be done in Bristol.
I think if there was an opportunity to arise for which a strategic benefit to the business there would be the capacity available to enable a new base. However, the reasons highlighted for not wanting to commit to a new base at the moment is compelling.

No, course. However this was relayed to internals via a roadshow when asked whether there would be any new bases. ‘Not for a couple of years’. Course they are adaptable, and everyone accepts there will need to be new bases with planned growth, but in the near future? Recall 2016 before STN BHX there was a general awareness that bases were going to be announced but not locationally specific.
As for the apparent lack of noise, I’m pretty sure they are not allowed to mention anything specific even at roadshows. After all there wasn’t much awareness of a BRS base until it was announced.

There are rather a lot of airbuses on order and as I’m led to believe hundreds if not thousands of maintained 737NG’s that can be sourced as they have preceding this summer.

Which, I have repeatedly said, are slow to arrive due to supply chain issues etc.

Maybe so with the 737NG - but jet2 have a high standard when it comes to taking used aircraft. They also like to do a lot in house and on top of regular maintenance is there the ability to fit 4/5 737NG’s into the pack ready for a new base March 24. Bear in mind all the new ones must be getting the stage of needed c checks.
However problematic the supply chain issues may seem, they won’t last forever and we can assume Airbus are flighting tooth and nail to get their best seller back on track before airlines start asking for compensation.

Yes a lot on the delivery fresh NG’s will soon be cycling through their C-checks, however as we’ve very recently seen a good opportunity to acquire 3 sub 10 year ex flyr NG frames was taken up albeit at the surprise of many! As a result a deal was struck with MME’s Willis Aviation which going forward may continue to support the in-house maintenance programs and external MRO’s around the UK and Ireland.

Finally, heavy maintenance will for the first time carry on throughout the summer from 2023 onwards, the size of the feet is now too large to complete all the required maintenance through the leaner winter period.

Last edited:
As for the apparent lack of noise, I’m pretty sure they are not allowed to mention anything specific even at roadshows. After all there wasn’t much awareness of a BRS base until it was announced.

There are rather a lot of airbuses on order and as I’m led to believe hundreds if not thousands of maintained 737NG’s that can be sourced as they have preceding this summer.
BRS was bubbling under the surface for a good while but I agree it was a bit of a surprise when announced, as is always the case. Also fully aware of how tight lipped they have to be. Just feel that they would really need to have a compelling reason to open another new base at this moment in time, regardless of number of aircraft on order. Be interesting to see what transpires.

Which, I have repeatedly said, are slow to arrive due to supply chain issues etc.

Maybe so with the 737NG - but jet2 have a high standard when it comes to taking used aircraft. They also like to do a lot in house and on top of regular maintenance is there the ability to fit 4/5 737NG’s into the pack ready for a new base March 24. Bear in mind all the new ones must be getting the stage of needed c checks.

There are a fair few midlife NG’s arriving and in the pipeline. Not sure of exact numbers and to be honest it’s probably company confidential but it’s more than that number. I think the answer to your question is probably yes, but no, with a huge chunk of I don’t know.

Should have five NEO in the next 12 months too. Recruitment and training ramping up and the new training centre in Cheadle is ready and waiting the onslaught.

Last edited:

22 of the new ones have already had a C check!!

LPL secured, next stop LGW/SOU

After this news, and after getting told by people in the know over many years that LPL is not a strategic fit for the business, I would not like to bet on where they might go next. They want to double in size in the next 7 years, this we do know. With that comes more bases. Every confidence in the people paid to make those decisions, I just hope it’s not a high risk strategy. Jet2 have never voluntarily closed a passenger base, yet…

I think the LPL base might be also on the back of stagnation by easyjet. Wouldn’t be surprised if easyjet pulled out in the next couple of years and just serviced the airport with non based aircraft on certain key routes.

There are some rumours doing the rounds that there may be another announcement of some new aircraft orders, these will bring new (to Jet2) aircraft to the fleet. With that would come completely new destinations.

Standing by what I’ve said previously, nothing is true til it’s announced. But could be some very exciting news before long if what’s being said in some quarters is true.

I’m not going to add any more detail as I’ve heard a couple of things. One word of caution though, if they do go ahead with it they of course will have done their sums, but I just hope they don’t go down the route of over expanding and leaving themselves open to being kicked at the heels.

A highly capable team in the driving seat, probably the best in the industry. But there are certain areas of growth that can act as a millstone round the neck of any operator that starts expanding too much. However, if anyone can pull it off then it would be Jet2 to do so at the moment,

Will sit back and see what happens.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

I've asked Gareth Southgate for the winning lottery numbers. He said 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Aviador wrote on VC10's profile.
Thank you once again for your contribution to the running costs of Forums4airports. It's much appreciated.
Come On You England Boys
New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock