Advertisement

Jet2.com

michael

Dec 30, 2009
Wharfedale
just a quick question for the 'experts' on the forum, I've just watched Jet2 B733 G CELV arrive at EMA on FR24 and it's being shown as having had winglets fitted. This aircraft is showing as being 28 years old, why would Jet2 spend money on putting winglets on a 28 year old aircraft? I appreciate the avionics may not be 28 years old but why fit winglets when the main frame is that age ?? I can see the point in fitting them on recently acquired aircraft up to say 18 or 20 years old that may be planned on being kept in service for the next ten years so does this mean Jet2 plan to keep these older frames and keep them going well in to their 30's?

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
The bean counters must think it's worth it. The savings must be more than the cost of the winglets.

Sherburnflyer92

May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Any chance of base expansion for Jet2 for 2016?! It's being a long while since they expanded and they have safe markets with which to do so (TFS,ALC,ACE,AGP,PMI)

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
http://www.jet2.com/News/Annual_General ... mber_2015/

Extract from Dart Group statement today.

The Board is also pleased to announce that, in order to meet the future anticipated growth of its Leisure Travel business and for planned fleet replacement, the Company has entered into an agreement with Boeing to purchase 27 new Boeing 737-800NG aircraft. These aircraft will be delivered between September 2016 and April 2018.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Well it's about time really. The airline's aging fleet must be proving expensive to maintain. Notedly this morning Jet2 has suffered 3 separate emergencies according to FR24 with EC-ISY 757; G-GDFN 733 and G-JZHB 738 all declaring an emergency for one reason or another.

Tarn Spotter

Nov 5, 2012
See Jet2 has spend £5k today to put an advert in the RAFNEWS advertising for new pilots. Commercialy a good time as the new service rates of pay will be in the mind of applicants.
Certainly seems a sensible way to advertise for potential recruits, have no idea if £65k a good training salary.
The company with the order for 30 new jets have a good case to sell now.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Yes it's been seen as somewhat controversial by some who regard it as poaching trained military personnel to work in a civilian roll. It might seem as reasonable to do this and it's definitely worthwhile for the pilots as they gain a decent salary increase but it is of course at the expense of the taxpayer who has spent many years training military pilots.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Yes it's been seen as somewhat controversial by some who regard it as poaching trained military personnel to work in a civilian roll. It might seem as reasonable to do this and it's definitely worthwhile for the pilots as they gain a decent salary increase but it is of course at the expense of the taxpayer who has spent many years training military pilots.
A lot of doctors are trained by the NHS at tax payers' expense and then go abroad to practise where pay and conditions of work are often much more agreeable. Can't blame them and at least Jet2 is a British company and the pilots would still be working in the UK.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Funny you should mention the NHS as I wrote much the same originally but at the last minute I decided to remove it.

I can't say I agree with it to be honest. If the taxpayer has paid for training then in my opinion a set period of time should have to elapse before they should be able to move taking their skills with them.

Imagine the outcry by business commerce if the NHS or RAF did the reverse.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Just reading through this anna article about Jet2, nothing new that we didn't already know but there's a few interesting facts and figures. Also, there's a computer generated image of the airlines new 737-800NG which appears to show the aircraft livery as more metallic looking than the grey we are used to. Can anybody confirm if this is a slight livery change or if it's just an inaccurate computer render?

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE

Jet2 confident about the future despite Brexit
Dart Group's chairman Philip Meeson said: "Although we were disappointed at the result of the recently held referendum on whether the UK should remain in the EU, we are confident that our customers will... be keen to travel from our rainy islands to the sun spots of the Mediterranean, The Canaries and to European leisure cities.

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/jet2-confident-about-the-future-despite-brexit-1-8013387#ixzz4Em7UdgV4

Seasider

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
A few days ago, I was on an aviation related website (can't remember which) and there was an advert for a JET2 "Pilots Fair" at Stansted and Gatwick. Has anyone else seen this or am I reading too much into it. They have a lot of new aircraft coming and they are not retiring any where near as many.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Jet2.com to create almost 1,000 new jobs
The airline Jet2.com says it will create almost 1,000 new jobs as part of a recruitment drive.

It wants to hire 180 pilots, 700 cabin crew and more than 80 engineers across the country as part of the firm's expansion.

The company plans to hold road shows to fill the positions, starting in Leeds in September.

Jet2 operates from eight UK airports, with a fleet of 63 aircraft, and flies to around 220 destinations.

It flies from Belfast, Birmingham, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle.

"Our family-friendly formula is clearly working with customers and it means that we're one of the UK's fastest growing airlines," said Steve Heapy, chief executive of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays.

"We have exciting plans to expand the number of destinations we fly to, as well as the number of UK bases we fly from, and this means that our team is growing all the time too."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37228744

Sherburnflyer92

May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
2018 base sizes:

1) MAN - 208 weekly departures
2) LBA - 176 weekly departures
3) STN - 121 weekly departures
4) EMA - 99 weekly departures
5) NCL - 97 weekly departures
6) BHX - 91 weekly departures
7) GLA - 86 weekly departures
8) EDI - 81 weekly departures
9) BFS - 52 weekly departures.

Just to throw a curve ball in there:
PMI could be considered the 4th largest based with 112 weekly departures and ALC is joint '5th' with EMA having 99 weekly departures.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Press release from Air Tanker regards it leasing a wide-bodied Airbus A330-200 to Jet2 for the summer.

http://www.airtanker.co.uk/news-centre/news-item/2017/05/18/new-a330-200-acmi-lease-agreed-with-jet2.com

New A330-200 ACMI Lease agreed with Jet2.com

AirTanker is pleased to announce that a new A330-200 ACMI Lease has been secured with leading leisure airline Jet2.com. Operating throughout their summer schedule, this is a new civil leasing development for AirTanker in support of Jet2.com’s network growth.
Tony Carder, AirTanker Services Director of Aircraft Leasing, said

“We are very pleased to have secured this ACMI Damp Lease with Jet2.com. This will be the first wide-bodied passenger aircraft in operation for Jet2.com and we are proud to have been selected to provide this capability to them. This is an exciting development for our Leasing business and we look forward to commencing service later this month [May 2017].”

From May 2017, this Airbus A330-200 will be based at Manchester, flying to Palma, Tenerife, Rhodes and Arrecife.

Ian Doubtfire, Business Development Director at Jet2.com, said:

“We are pleased to add the A330 to our fleet for Summer 2017. Alongside cleverly-designed Acro seats which are fitted to all Jet2.com aircraft to provide more space and comfort, customers will really enjoy the spacious widebody cabin. The A330 will operate from our Manchester base to several of our most popular summer sun destinations, providing additional capacity at peak times.”

AirTanker was awarded the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft (FSTA) contract for RAF Voyager by the Ministry of Defence in 2008. The FSTA programme is a 27 year contract and delivers a step-change in the operational capability of the RAF, supplying a core fleet of nine new Airbus A330-200s and a further five aircraft for a non-core fleet. When space capacity is available within the non-core fleet, these aircraft can be used for additional tasks such as operating in the commercial market.

For further details please contact: media@airtanker.co.uk:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Jet2 is having some bad press at the moment. Yesterday's cabin preasure problem on G-CELI has made headline news on the BBC news website this evening.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Excellent stuff.

Obviously I have a personal interest but I'm so glad that their two new bases have exceeded expectations and are performing well. With the commitment that Jet2 have shown and the amount of money they must have spent on advertising they really do deserve it (y)

Advertisement

Top Bottom