There are sufficient aircraft sitting in desert locations and given that Jet2 have made use of an AirTanker A330, Why do they not secure one of these redundant craft? I would ask the same question to TUI.
One reason is to increase capacity. Another was a more environmentally friendly option hence the reason they went for the A321neo

The air tanker is still currently active. A reason why they don’t take aircraft sat in the dessert is because most are old planes which are not economically viable to operate anymore or they still belong to airlines in question but they are being stored there as the airlines don’t require the aircraft for the time being due to travel demand being low.

Also there probably isn’t any aircraft that suits them sat in the dessert.

Whilst understanding the placement in Victorville and Teurel etc., I cannot believe they are there pending parting out alone, future redeployment as with Quantas and perhaps with other operators. There shall be other aircraft though stored, remaining serviceable and available to operators in need of that specific aircraft. That was my train of thought.

There shall be other aircraft though stored, remaining serviceable and available to operators in need of that specific aircraft.

The vast majority of those aircraft that are stored without owners and not due to be scrapped tend to be wide body, long haul aircraft. Not exactly what Jet2 would be looking for to replace their fleet.

The A321NEO allows Jet2 to replace their fleet with newer, more efficient (and therefore cheaper to operate) aircraft. It would also potentially allow them to switch from operating a two type fleet (B737 & B757) to a single type fleet, which too has cost savings.

Does anyone in the know what Jet2 use the Piper PA31 G-IFIT for generally? It's been reported on the CWL forum that it's paid a few visits to CWL over the past few weeks.

Described on Jetphotos site as "Jet2's little runaround".

There's also an AAIB report for a minor incident at CWL in 2004. Struck a Shorts 360 during a taxying manoeuvre. Pilot held his hand up, saying he should have stopped when he lost sight of the marshaller.

Described on Jetphotos site as "Jet2's little runaround".

There's also an AAIB report for a minor incident at CWL in 2004. Struck a Shorts 360 during a taxying manoeuvre. Pilot held his hand up, saying he should have stopped when he lost sight of the marshaller.
It must like CWL then!
I was more curious as to if there's anything in to why Jet2 might be visiting CWL?

That's why my curiousity was aroused, it returned again to CWL this evening from Shannon, before going home to LBA, exactly the same as a short time ago. I was hoping, it might possibly have been in connection with a future transatlantic route, because although JET2, has a base at BRS, I don't think BRS runway is capable of an A330 loaded departure for a transatlantic route.(please correct me if I am incorrect.) Florida was always very popular from CWL, and at one time supported a 747 service there. We can only live in hope

That's why my curiousity was aroused, it returned again to CWL this evening from Shannon, before going home to LBA, exactly the same as a short time ago. I was hoping, it might possibly have been in connection with a future transatlantic route, because although JET2, has a base at BRS, I don't think BRS runway is capable of an A330 loaded departure for a transatlantic route.(please correct me if I am incorrect.) Florida was always very popular from CWL, and at one time supported a 747 service there. We can only live in hope
Can't see Jet2 launching Florida from anywhere let alone Cardiff. Only transatlantic flights they operate are New York Christmas flights and the 757 would be fine from Bristol.
Other possibilities could be either they are discussing a maintenance contract with Caerdav or with the new Airbus order maybe discussing using Cardiff for training.

During the three summers (2014-2016) that TUI stopped operating from Bristol to Florida and Mexico because their former First Choice 270-seat Boeing 767s had left the fleet Thomas Cook had reportedly assessed that their A330-200s could operate to Florida from BRS. They were about to announce something when TUI said they were returning to the Florida and Mexico routes with their Boeing 787s which since summer 2017 have operated non-stop to Florida and non-stop to Cancun most of the time (occasional UK fuel stops - either at MAN or EMA - needed for Cancun if challenging weather forecast).

Whether or not Jet2 would come to the same operational conclusion as Thomas Cook re the A330 is probably immaterial as TUI have increased frequency to Florida and Mexico in recent years and it's doubtful that another carrier would be viable given the (probable) better opportunities elsewhere.

If Jet2 were going to launch long haul, it's unlikely to be from an unestablished Airport with no Jet2 presence. If it were to ever happen, MAN will likely be the starting point of any LH expansion by Jet2.

Jet2s Turkey ops for the rest of 2021:

Jet2 will only be flying to Dalaman and Antalya from all 10 UK bases when flights restart there next week and going into next month. Sadly there’s no Bodrum or Izmir available from all bases until Next Summer with Jet2.

Jet2 publishes sustainability strategy.

Jet2.com and Jet2holidays publish sustainability strategy and call on Government to support aviation on flightpath to decarbonisation​

Created: 23rd Sep 2021

Jet2.com and Jet2holidays launch comprehensive sustainability strategy, covering operations on the ground, in the air, and in resort

• Actions and commitments include an order for up to 60 new and more efficient Airbus A321 NEO aircraft, as well as using sustainable aviation fuel by 2026 and launching one of the world’s largest airline carbon offsetting schemes
  • Jet2.com and Jet2holidays CEO calls on Government to support transition to decarbonisation in the aviation sector
Jet2.com and Jet2holidays have today published a comprehensive new sustainability strategy covering their operations on the ground, in the air, and in resort. The strategy sets out Jet2’s decarbonisation plans on route to net zero by 2050 and the company has called on the UK Government to match its ambition by doing more to support aviation, including ringfencing the hundreds of millions of pounds paid in carbon taxes to invest in technology and solutions to mitigate climate change.

The strategy published today includes a series of actions and commitments that have meaningful positive impacts at every stage of the journey, ensuring customers can enjoy package holidays with Jet2holidays and scheduled holiday flights with Jet2.com that are more environmentally sustainable.

Jet2.com is already ranked as the 11th most environmentally efficient airline globally, according to the most recent atmosfair* Airline Index, which compares and ranks the 200 largest airlines in the world. Pledges announced today include one of the largest offsetting schemes of any airline globally, which from 2022 will see Jet2.com offset every tonne of carbon not already covered by their contribution to existing schemes (CORSIA and UK and EU Emissions Trading Schemes).

Since 2011 Jet2.com has reduced its CO2 per passenger per km by more than 19%, a figure which stands to improve further after the Company entered into an agreement to purchase up to 60 new and more efficient Airbus A321 NEO aircraft. This makes travelling with Jet2.com and Jet2holidays even more efficient and further reduces emissions per passenger.

The Company will also be working with a leading supplier of sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) based in the UK, with a view to using UK produced SAF from 2026, and is calling on the Government to increase its ambitions in this area, including by ringfencing future revenues from the sector’s participation in UK Emissions Trading System as well as upscaling its investment in sustainable aviation fuels.

Other highlights from the strategy include:

• Carbon neutral ground operations from 2022 and over 50% of ground services equipment zero carbon by 2023.
  • An 80% reduction in single use plastics on aircraft by 2023 (equivalent to removing 11 million items on an annual basis) on top of nine million items already removed per year.
  • A hotel sustainability labelling scheme which will empower Jet2holidays customers to filter their hotel selection by sustainability.
  • A Hotel Sustainability Charter to be launched in 2023 covering hotel management as well as environmental, social and economic business impacts.
Steve Heapy, Chief Executive of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays said: “Economically, socially and culturally, travel is a force for good. We have already taken many steps to make Jet2.com one of the most environmentally efficient airlines in the world, and we are continuing our work to become more sustainable in the air, on the ground and in resort.

Today is a proud milestone that sets us on a flightpath to decarbonisation and details how our customers can enjoy package holidays from Jet2holidays and scheduled holiday flights with Jet2.com that are more environmentally sustainable. This is demonstrated by our new order for up to 60 Airbus A321 NEO aircraft, which is in our view, the most efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft in its class today.

However, we cannot do this on our own. The Government must do more to help our industry to decarbonise – starting by being transparent and investing the proceeds of the UK & EU Emissions Trading Schemes, as well any other green levies imposed on the aviation industry, into decarbonisation.

Britain has the opportunity to lead the world in sustainable aviation fuels, and diverting the taxes paid by airlines towards helping this industry take off is quite simply the right thing to do for both the economy and the environment.”

Dr Andy Jefferson, Programme Director at Sustainable Aviation said: “Sustainable Aviation welcomes the launch of Jet2’s sustainability strategy which clearly supports the UK wide aviation industry commitments to net zero emissions by 2050 plus interim 2030 and 2040 targets set in June 2021.”

It is pleasing to read and see that Jet2 are intent by their actions to contribute fully in the move towards net zero by 2050 and that they are telling the world that they are doing so. Their request to Government to recognise this fact is entirely valid and should receive an appropriate positive response in due course. The airports they operate from, including LBA, should also issue a similar statement detailing how they intend to play their part in this improvement and move to settings standards for others to follow.

COP26 would be a good time for the Government to acknowledge what is being done.

It is pleasing to read and see that Jet2 are intent by their actions to contribute fully in the move towards net zero by 2050 and that they are telling the world that they are doing so. Their request to Government to recognise this fact is entirely valid and should receive an appropriate positive response in due course. The airports they operate from, including LBA, should also issue a similar statement detailing how they intend to play their part in this improvement and move to settings standards for others to follow.

COP26 would be a good time for the Government to acknowledge what is being done.

LBA have already done that to a degree. Key to their plan is the new carbon neutral terminal which the Government is still blocking. This also includes various carbon offsetting schemes including the planting of hundreds of thousands of trees.

Of course the NIMBYs masquerading as environmentalists, and Extinction Rebellion, and their Leeds MP pals from the Labour Party have all objected. I have no doubt at all that they will also be dismissive of what Jet2 have announced. I don't believe that anything other than a huge reduction in flying and the closure of airports will ever satisfy these people..

LBA have already done that to a degree. Key to their plan is the new carbon neutral terminal which the Government is still blocking. This also includes various carbon offsetting schemes including the planting of hundreds of thousands of trees.
White Heather mentions the actions being taken by LBA. I suspect that all Jet2 base airports as well as other airports are working hard to reduce the industry's carbon footprint.

I've just looked through the press release section of Bristol Airport's website and in the past 12 months these press releases deal with the efforts of that airport and its partners:

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...-with-easyjet-to-trial-a-range-of-initiatives

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...l-airports-new-decarbonisation-fund-goes-live

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...nces-it-will-be-the-first-net-zero-uk-airport

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...port-leads-the-way-with-a-new-innovation-fund

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...pace-industry-figures-pledge-towards-net-zero

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...uel-as-part-of-carbon-neutral-flight-strategy

Jet2 have added an additional 15 more A321neos to the 36 they purchased in August. They expect these additions to be delivered between 2026-29. Article about it below.

According to this article Jet2 have been in talks with the Greek tourism board to add more capacity on its Greek routes they will add 600,000 more seats for 2022. The article also states that Jet2 are in talks to do year round Greek flights rather than Summer Seasonal.

A quick question for anybody with in-depth knowledge of Jet2's operations.

As you may be aware I keep a log of all movements at Manchester, using FR24 data, and I have noticed an ever increasing number of Jet2 flights that appear listed but with an 'unknown' status - on Saturday with amounted to89 movements being listed, of which only 51 actually appeared to operate.

I do fully appreciate that FR24 is probably picking up inaccurate data, but it is very annoying when I need to look, and filter out, at so many non-op flights.

Many thanks, in advance, for any replies

Scottie Dog

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock