I believe it’s flights that are planned to operate later in Summer but for some reason the Flightradar24 has loaded them now.

Many thanks for that and I believe that you are quite correct. It's just so frustrating when one has to filter out so many errors. Grrrrrr

:)

I suppose that I should also have said that it's interesting that FR24 can actually claim to populate the registration for a non-op flight??

Jet2 Based Aircraft - July 2022

Below is a list of the Jet2 bases. It shows the number of aircraft based and how many are being used for the current schedule today.

MAN - 26 - 3x Standby (2x B738 & 1x B752)
3x A321
3x A332 (2x AirTanker, 1x Wamos)
12x B738
8x B752

LBA - 16 - 3x Standby (2x B733 & 1x B738)
7x B733
9x B738

BHX - 14 - 1x Standby (A321)
4x A321 (2x SmartLynx, 2x SmartLynx Malta)
10x B738

STN - 13
3x A321 (2x Titan, 1x HiFly)
9x B738
1x B752 (1x Titan)

NCL - 8
8x B738

GLA - 7
7x B738

EMA - 7 - 1x Standby (B738)
7x B738

BRS - 6
6x B738

EDI - 6
6x B738

BFS - 3
3x B738

No one saw this coming. A320NEO, which means 186 capacity or 180 if they stick to traditional capacity of aircraft. Signs that Jet2 may, in the end, be all Airbus.
Post automatically merged:

180 capacity. Which is as I suspected - more room for galley space and therefore sales which is important to the airline. I have a feeling a new base could well be on the agenda sooner rather than later - LGW anyone?

Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia as holiday destinations on the agenda with the first 2 been year round whilst Tunisia can be served March through December.

Last edited:
LGW anyone

Given most of Jet2's network already has 4 airlines serving them from Gatwick, I'd be very surprised if they did. Even if they did go down that route, they probably couldn't open a reasonable sized base until the standby runway at Gatwick was bought into routine use - something that hasn't been approved yet.

BOH or LPL wouldn't surprise me.

The firm orders they now have for the A320/321NEO roughly equates to the size of their current fleet so looks like complete fleet replacement. They have options for another 50 odd aircraft, so will likely use those for new bases if and when the time is right.

LGW - never say never ;)

BOH wouldn't but needs a substantial improvement in terms of airport infrastructure.

LPL would be a no go due to it going into the huge MAN operation that they have.

BOH - such as? In 2019 the airport handled 75% of the number of passengers it handled in its busiest year. To be fair, I've no idea what capacity the current terminal has.

LPL - easyJet and Ryanair have bases at both. Why not Jet2? Surely the market in the North is big enough and MAN can only get so big.

BOH - If Jet2 are to go to a good scale/size to compete with LGW then Terminal capacity. I'm not sure of the layout of the airport but to ensure movements are not disrupted probably a parallel taxiway which I think it currently doesn't have. Believe it has a night closure too but again don't quote me. Not sure on it's ILS equipment neither which is needed considering it is a coastal airport so will suffer with fog particularly October through February.

LPL - easyJet/Ryanair have a different model. Look at the operations - easyJet is all about the IOM/BFS which keeps it profitable. Ryanair too with it's Dublin links. They've got historical ties with Liverpool back to when Manchester didn't want low cost. It's similar to the argument with TUI.

There is only so much market you can take as a holiday operator before you start diluting other bases. Taking passengers from Manchester to Liverpool will in turn probably take passengers from Leeds to Manchester. As they try funnel the capacity. Your correct that it can only go so big, but with new improved apron plan and terminal I'm sure it can handle more then enough traffic. The runways don't seem to be maxed out anyway.

BOH - I suggested not so much to compete with LGW, but just to get some of the South East market. Probably a BFS/NCL sized base. Jet2 is an unknown brand in the SE, and even those that know the name don't know what they're like to fly with.

The airport has ILS on both runways including CAT3A on one end. It doesn't have a parallel taxiway in the "normal" sense, but aircraft can taxi in and out without getting in each others way. Night closure from 9:30L is probably the biggest barrier, but given some thought as to the scheduling could work - i.e. an aircraft couldn't do 2 long flights per day, but 1 long and 1 short/medium could work. E.g. TFS and DLM wouldn't work, but TFS & ALC and PMI & DLM would.

LPL - that may be a large part of their market, but they also serve the typical routes Jet2 does. Every passenger that flies to Spain/Greece/Turkey from LPL with easyJet is a passenger Jet2 could have.

My point about MAN wasn't so much about capacity but what markets are left open to Jet2? Besides Morocco, Egypt and maybe Cape Verde, which even serving all 3 would only use 1 or 2 aircraft, what new destinations are there? Besides being Airbus instead of Boeing, what will the Jet2 MAN base look like in 10 years time?

LPL - that may be a large part of their market, but they also serve the typical routes Jet2 does. Every passenger that flies to Spain/Greece/Turkey from LPL with easyJet is a passenger Jet2 could have.

But at what revenue and yield? They know they could take them anyway from LPL - they have a large presence in the LPL market which the travel agents are happy to sell on behalf of them. When they shut Blackpool, due Blackpool shutting, they could of opened up Liverpool then? Instead they retreated too Manchester which to me shows an indication of their thoughts.

My point about MAN wasn't so much about capacity but what markets are left open to Jet2? Besides Morocco, Egypt and maybe Cape Verde, which even serving all 3 would only use 1 or 2 aircraft, what new destinations are there? Besides being Airbus instead of Boeing, what will the Jet2 MAN base look like in 10 years time?

There is a huge market left open wide for Jet2 to tap into in terms of that left behind by Thomas Cook. Turkey and Greece.

And Tunisia don't forget about that. All of which won't be served on your typical 1 weekly frequency but typical Jet2 2/3/4 if not more.

10 years who knows. But I would not be surprised to see long haul featuring.

Time will tell on new bases.

They currently have good coverage of the UK, have opened 3 new bases in the last 6 years and are now undertaking pretty much a complete fleet renewal. Many airlines have gone bust from over expanding or expanding too quickly. Jet2 doesn't seem to fit into that category so my gut feeling is there won't be any new bases for a number of years now, probably until a decent chunk of the fleet is replaced.

It's always fun to speculate, but as has been shown there are no easy or obvious answers. Each airport they don't currently serve will have a reason as to why (whether that be from the Jet2 side or externally). The question is whether that reason is still valid now vs when it formed.

As for Turkey and Greece, how much capacity is there left to be fulfilled from Thomas Cook? Turkey certainly has seen a surge in new airlines with many of the larger UK airports now seeing 3 or 4 airlines serving DLM and AYT.

I think we have to remember re Turkey Antalya and Dalaman alone had TC operating there 20+ times a week majority of the time with a wide body or the largest single aisle capacity.

I remember looking in Summer 19, 2 A330’s within 45 minutes of each other then a A321 later on. Couple with the Smart Lynx that went in the morning. So I’d say there’s more that could be added in terms of package holiday.

Presently I don’t see any new bases being opened. (Even though one that could work is BOH-plus they have history there) more likely when many of these A320neo family jets are delivered they might look at more bases. Of course my opinion.

I think that now is a time for consolidation at existing bases, with some growth at each as demand dictates. For the future, and to pick up the Southern Region, Southampton might be a good bet once it gets its newly extended runway. It's crying out for an operator like Jet2 once the runway is extended to permit 737 800 or A320 ops, and Jet2 could really make a killing if they were first to go in there. Currently the nearest Jet2 base for this region is STN and then BRS!

Maybe way off the mark but has anyone thought of Jet2/Jet2holidays maybe taking their product overseas?

By that I mean expanding into Scandinavia where they have appetitive for holidays and where there’s clearly a market that’s untapped.

Anyone know why there's a Jet2 aircraft flying LGW - TFS today? The aircraft (G-JZHO) flew from STN to LGW yesterday and operated LGW-TFS-LGW and is currently on its way to TFS again today.

BOH - I suggested not so much to compete with LGW, but just to get some of the South East market. Probably a BFS/NCL sized base. Jet2 is an unknown brand in the SE, and even those that know the name don't know what they're like to fly with.

The airport has ILS on both runways including CAT3A on one end. It doesn't have a parallel taxiway in the "normal" sense, but aircraft can taxi in and out without getting in each others way. Night closure from 9:30L is probably the biggest barrier, but given some thought as to the scheduling could work - i.e. an aircraft couldn't do 2 long flights per day, but 1 long and 1 short/medium could work. E.g. TFS and DLM wouldn't work, but TFS & ALC and PMI & DLM would.

I can tell you LPL and Jet2 talk often , however what Jet2 want is not viable, and LPL would not want to put established operators at an unfair disadvantage.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock