Photography - General Thread

Advertisement

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
The last month or so has given me the chance to do some wildlife photography in our back garden:

I'm hoping that this is a field and not a house mouse.
IMG_7782a.jpg

Of recent the pair of coal tits have become more accustomed to my camera and therefore less flighty than when they first came into the garden.
IMG_7879_edited-1.jpg

I've entitled this "David and Goliath" - you'll be delighted to know that they agreed there was enough seed, from the feeder above, for them
both to share.
IMG_7815_edited-1.jpg

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Another invasive species endangering our native wildlife. Although very beautiful, these pesky things are a threat to a number of native species such as the Woodpecker.

Great pictures though.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
I much prefer them out and free to do as birds do. I really hate birds being caged though aviary birds are better off. There are numerous hunting species in my parts giving escapees no chance of survival.

David_itl

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2016
Must be a year or so ago when i was coming back from work, I must have seen a flock of 10 or so green parakeets "take off" in formation, My next objective is to try and get the 5 or 6 squirrels that climb up the other trees 1st thing in the morning.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Another invasive species endangering our native wildlife. Although very beautiful, these pesky things are a threat to a number of native species such as the Woodpecker.

Great pictures though.
Like all Parrots they are clever, so will learn and adapt. London is now full of these species.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
I have an equipment problem and hope someone can help.

I was a film camera user with Nikon FM, FE & F3 bodies which I still have together with several F mount manual lenses that I would like to use on my D200. Is there a converter available to marry the technologies? I have a Pentacon 300mm lense with adapter from screw to bayonet and 2x + 3x converter, this was to enable close ups of high altitude passings etc. I would like it to work but metering appears to be a problem.

Many thanks.

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I have an equipment problem and hope someone can help.

I was a film camera user with Nikon FM, FE & F3 bodies which I still have together with several F mount manual lenses that I would like to use on my D200. Is there a converter available to marry the technologies? I have a Pentacon 300mm lense with adapter from screw to bayonet and 2x + 3x converter, this was to enable close ups of high altitude passings etc. I would like it to work but metering appears to be a problem.

Many thanks.
Hi Jenny

I too have a Nikon D200 (along with an older F80, which I haven't used in years). Although I know of the FM, FE and F3 bodies (and their excellent reputation), I'm not familiar with them. From what I understand, any 'F' mount lens should fit any Nikon SLR/DSLR although some of the features of the more modern cameras will not be available with the older lenses. In that case, you would need to set the D200 to manual using the switch on the front of the body. You could then set the aperture with the ring on the lens and shutter speed using the wheel on the D200. Its not something I've tried myself, so I can't be 100% sure. Depending on the lens, it is possible that both aperture and auto-focus may be available via mechanical rather than electronic links. If you look at the D200 body head on, there is a little sprung connector on the lens mount ring at approx '7 O'clock' position. If the lens has a corresponding connector then a slow mechanical auto-focus should be available. Similarly for the aperture, there is a small connector on the back of the lens (Which you should be able to move easily with a finger). If so moving the aperture ring on the lens should give the camera the aperture info. I think there is a section in the D200 manual regarding using older lenses with the body.
As for the Pentacon 300mm lens, does the metering work with just the lens attached to the camera? Adding a 2X or 3X converter will cut a significant amount of light reaching the light meter. Most light meters will not work with apertures higher than F5.6.

Hope this is of some help.

Kevin

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
I shall investigate further when I can concentrate. As all my old lenses are manual focus I had concerns about the auto metering of the D200 as I use a Vivitar 80-300mm zoom on the digital camera and it has it's own motor.

Thank you Kevin for your input.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
I'm using a 100-400IS lens on a Canon EOS70D body. The photo was taken at an angle through the double glazed kitchen window so I'm extremely happy with the result which was, I must admit, quite heavily cropped. I think the quality of the focus was as good as I could possibly have managed and it's the first young goldfinch I've seen.

David_itl

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2016
Did my 1st real trip of of the year on 28th September so it was time to experiment with the new camera. Only putting this single shot up at the moment... Chatsworth House

hopefully over the coming weeks I can box off a few more trips (assuming Manchester doesn't get a no travel anywhere restriction!) as I've still got 13 days holiday from work to take until the end of the year.

Advertisement

Top Bottom