Re: Basel - Mulhouse airport (BSL) - Thread

Good to see you back.

Looks a good building, I agree with you in that simplicity works. Taking their share of the cargo market from 20% to 50% in 5 years sounds very ambitious, lets hope they are successful :good:

Re: Basel - Mulhouse airport (BSL) - Thread

BSL-2km said:
Hello luft lovers,... long time and all that... ;)

Euroairport cargo terminal is all done by the looks of things, impressively simple building...and executed very rapidly...

EuroAirport aims for larger share of cargo traffic
EuroAirport aims for larger share of cargo traffic

26.11.2014 |

EuroAirport has inaugurated a Euro40m cargo terminal at the French hub which is situated close to Swiss city Basel, a major European pharma industry cluster.

EuroAirport Cargo Terminal, located in the tri-national Upper Rhine Region that shares borders with Switzerland and Germany, will enter operation in January 2015.

The new facility – financed entirely by EuroAirport – has a total surface area of 21,000 sq m and offers temperature-controlled storage between 15°C and 25°C that complies with the cold chain requirements of the pharmaceutical industry and regional logistics companies.

Today, 85% of the new cargo terminal premises in the southwest of the airport are occupied by seven major tenants: Swissport, Cargologic, DHL Logistics, Planzer and Air Cargo Service (ACS) on the Swiss side, with WFS/SFS and ACL on the French side.

EuroAirport said it is pursuing an objective to increase its share of the region's air freight volume from around 20% today to 50% by 2020. It plans to raise the number of cargo flights from four per week at present “to 10–12 per week by 2020”.

As of September this year, three new daily general cargo flights operated by ABC, Emirates SkyCargo and LAN Cargo have been added to the weekly flight already run by Korean Air.

Said EuroAirport: “This development confirms the interest in new infrastructures that guarantee an uninterrupted cold chain. It also underlines the attractiveness of EuroAirport, with its direct access to three countries – France, Switzerland and Germany – and proximity to Basel, site of some of the world's major pharmaceutical enterprises.”

At the end of 2013, freight activity remained at 2012 levels, reporting a volume of 94,000 tons, of which 40% was flown freight (general cargo and express freight). EuroAirport expects its freight activity to increase by five per cent at the end of 2014.

With a total of 900 jobs at the end of 2013, the general cargo and express freight companies form the second largest job sector at EuroAirport.

http://www.aircargonews.net/news/single ... affic.html

2014-11-25_-_nouvelle_plateforme_fret_euroairport.jpg

Planes one side, trucks the other side,straight to motorway to Basel or elsewhere... I love simple logistics like that..

See ya soon

Might look simple to you but I would be very satisfied if my local airport had cargo facilities like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i have a question...

Recent figures show Basel - Mulhouse - Freibourg airport, aka Euroairport, as having carried 7.1 million passengers, figures for 2014. 7 million 100 thousand people... That figure did not ring true to me... Now I don't sit there veryday, but I used to live 2km from the threshold, and i now pass it roughly twice per day, often stopping and observing.. There is no way, no way, that the figures are that high !! Easyjet has 9 aircraft stationed, 319s mostly, Ryanair fly only 2 routes, there is allez HOP and some regional stuff, LH connections and a few other A320 operators, not forgetting Turkish with 737 service...Wizz a320, and yes there are others...BA A319 for example.. I know this airport, and in my view the figures do not stack up.... that is an awful lot of aircraft movements to get those figures, when your average flight has 100 or so pax ?? and there are not that many flights...
I dunno
I smell a rat..

http://www.euroairport.com/en/about-us/presentation.html

At EuroAirport more than 25 different airlines handle approximately 100-120 daily scheduled flights

If that is 100-120 flights in total, ie arrivals and departures added together, then given the type of aircraft you describe over 7 mppa does seem slightly surprising.

My local airport at Bristol, UK handled just under 7 mppa in 2015 and typically sees 90-100 daily departures in summer plus the same number of arrivals, and 50-80 each day in winter.

Bristol has 12/13 easyJet Airbuses (319 and 320), 4 Ryanair Boeing 738s, 2 Thomson Being 757s, 2 Thomas Cook Airbus 321s and 6-7 bmi regional E45s based although not all are used every day in the mid winter months. In addition there are a number of other airlines, including Wizz with 320s, KLM Cityhopper with E 190s and several others using turbo props. Nothing larger than a 757 visits Bristol on a regular basis.

Why do you think there might be some sort of discrepancy? I mean what might be the reason (s)?

I was there again today, my local supermarket is 200m off the side of the runway, with a clear view of both ends, two easyjet 319s, a local private prop, and a Germania 320.. in about 20 mins just after lunch... but perhaps my idea of what or how busy a 7 million pax airport should look is way off... I imagined a small airport with small aircraft to have them stacked up and circling to get those figures...

You know what... I think i have under estimated the airport...
There seems to be in the region of 100 in and 100 out every day, and some quick calculations and estimations, leaves the figure that they have quoted..
My bad.

Plus i see easyjet are operating to Bristol...

The easyJet Bristol flights started last autumn at 4 x weekly but the loads weren't that special for easyJet. Hopefully, now that the spring is with us they will improve. The much more established Bristol to Geneva (mainly easyJet plus some ski charters each week in season) has seen the highest number of passengers in 2015 (206,000) of any UK route to GVA outside the London airports.

This has been the case for the past 5-6 years so, hopefully, it might augur well for the Basel-Mulhouse route in the future.

My local airport EGNM (LBA) handles around 3.4 million passengers. During the summer months, say from April through until October the airport seems busy with frequent movements. During the winter months it can seem very quiet with long periods with no movements. So the point I'm trying to make is if Basel - Mulhouse is moderately busy year-round it can still pull decent number of passengers annually. If EGNM handled the same for every month as it handles in it's busiest month the figure would be nearer 5m annually.

I finally managed to use a voucher from Sep 2020 with a trip to BSL, reported elsewhere. The airport has Swiss/French terminals and you can freely move between them. The observation deck on both was closed meaning that photography was a no-no but you could observe all the movements with the French side giving views of the approach (and seating).
I did have a walk out on the first day (second was too wet & windy) but it was still impossible to picture any thing. There are numerous airliners/biz-jets parked up in front of MAC Aerospace and Jet Aviation but I have only managed to identify 2 of them. One was Boeing 747 BBJ N 458JA that hadn't flown for 10 years, test flew later that day and has departed on its"final flight" since. (see You Tube videos by BSL Spotter) The second is a Republique Gabonaise B777 T7-KPR which has been stored at BSL since 2016.
On the second day, day of departure, I thought I would have a go. You can decide whether it was worth it.

ALK B733.jpgView attachment 25665

You have been busy @Seasider Shame about the observation deck being closed. What that due to covid or for another reason?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock