Advertisement

Deadliest Airplane Crashes

wolfheze

Platinum Member
Dec 26, 2015
"A plane carrying 81 people, including a top Brazilian football team, has crashed on its approach to the city of Medellin in Colombia".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38140981

Well another sad day today after the latest air disaster involving Brazilian football team Chapecoense. There are a number of theories surrounding what happened including electrical failure and run out of fuel. The aircraft appears to have been holding prior to the crash.
Most accidents occur due to an unfortunate series of events coinciding, this was caused by a criminally stupid decision to attempt a non stop flight at the absolute limit of an aircrafts range with no allowances for diverting to another airport, being put in a holding pattern or even encountering a stronger than expected headwind. I apologise for sounding a bit harsh but this accident has made me quite angry because people have lost their lives needlessly due to the reckless actions of one person.

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I wonder if the copilot was vocal enough? I know here in the UK crews are trained to question each others decisions if they believe a decision is the wrong decision. Too many accidents happen whereby the copilot has not questioned a decision made by the captain of the flight. A sense of blarzaeness seems to occur all too often in the flight deck. Maybe computer systems with voice over should question decisions made by flight deck crew if calculations submitted suggest something is a miss?

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Some quite incredible footage of a 727 which sadly crashed in Columbia. The clips show it overrunning on take off and it appears as if it hit a small building.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Horrific footage. Once the aircraft became airborne it turned sharp to the left. I imagine they realised they needed to return to the airport quickly but all their efforts were in vain.

Was that a crew member still alive? Do we know if he lived?

wolfheze

Platinum Member
Dec 26, 2015
Horrific footage. Once the aircraft became airborne it turned sharp to the left. I imagine they realised they needed to return to the airport quickly but all their efforts were in vain.

Was that a crew member still alive? Do we know if he lived?
Not sure if the turn was intensional or whether it was due to damage sustained on take off . The starboard wing demolished a small concrete / brick built structure before it got airborne . Another video of a successful take off demonstrates how little room for error these pilots were leaving

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Most accidents occur due to an unfortunate series of events coinciding, this was caused by a criminally stupid decision to attempt a non stop flight at the absolute limit of an aircrafts range with no allowances for diverting to another airport, being put in a holding pattern or even encountering a stronger than expected headwind. I apologise for sounding a bit harsh but this accident has made me quite angry because people have lost their lives needlessly due to the reckless actions of one person.
I didn't realise at the time that we had a picture of this airline in our database. I'm so far unable to ascertain if this is the same aircraft involved in the crash but our image was used in a couple of press articles. http://sipse.com/mundo/gerente-aerolinea-lamia-accidente-chapecoense-233606.html and https://regnum.ru/news/accidents/2220042.html

Credit to IL76MAN @ Forums4airports.com

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Definitely an OMG moment o_O Doesn't look like any of the shoots worked correctly either.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
How do they know? Thought the aircraft hadn't been found?

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
A Russian passenger jet flew into a flock of birds then crash-landed in a cornfield just outside a Moscow airport Thursday, according to Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency.

The Ural Airlines Airbus A321 was carrying 226 passengers and a crew of seven from Moscow's Zhukovsky airport to Simferopol -- a city on the Crimean Peninsula -- when it ran into trouble.

Shortly after takeoff, the plane "collided with a flock of gulls," according a statement from the agency.
Some of the birds were sucked into its engines, it added.

Emergency services assist at the scene on Thursday.

The emergency landing took place in a field less than a kilometer (0.62 miles) away from the airport's runway.

Videos posted to social media show the passengers of flight U6178 evacuating from the plane and making a path through the field.
In one video, a female passenger walking through the tall green stalks can be heard saying "second birth," noting that she was lucky to just be alive.

Pilot Damir Yusupov, 41, and co-pilot Georgy Murzin, 23, were praised by the airline for their professionalism in difficult circumstances.
"Precisely due to their professionalism, self-possession and coordinated actions (they) managed to land a plane without tragic consequences," a Ural Airlines statement said.

Read more

A miraculous escape for these lucky passengers. Although it's not something anybody would want to experience it's good to know the airbus range is proving very trustworthy in this kind of event.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
A Russian passenger jet flew into a flock of birds then crash-landed in a cornfield just outside a Moscow airport Thursday, according to Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency.

The Ural Airlines Airbus A321 was carrying 226 passengers and a crew of seven from Moscow's Zhukovsky airport to Simferopol -- a city on the Crimean Peninsula -- when it ran into trouble.

Shortly after takeoff, the plane "collided with a flock of gulls," according a statement from the agency.
Some of the birds were sucked into its engines, it added.

The emergency landing took place in a field less than a kilometer (0.62 miles) away from the airport's runway.

Videos posted to social media show the passengers of flight U6178 evacuating from the plane and making a path through the field.
In one video, a female passenger walking through the tall green stalks can be heard saying "second birth," noting that she was lucky to just be alive.

Pilot Damir Yusupov, 41, and co-pilot Georgy Murzin, 23, were praised by the airline for their professionalism in difficult circumstances.
"Precisely due to their professionalism, self-possession and coordinated actions (they) managed to land a plane without tragic consequences," a Ural Airlines statement said.

Read more

A miraculous escape for these lucky passengers. Although it's not something anybody would want to experience it's good to know the airbus range is proving very trustworthy in this kind of event.
Superb work on the part of the flight deck crew it would seem. Hats off to them.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE

This Russia Today shows some actual footage from the accident. Truly heroic actions of the pilots to quickly find a suitable location to carry out a belly flop saved many lives.

Advertisement

Top Bottom