Advertisement

Deadliest Airplane Crashes

wolfheze

Platinum Member
Dec 26, 2015
"A plane carrying 81 people, including a top Brazilian football team, has crashed on its approach to the city of Medellin in Colombia".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-38140981

Well another sad day today after the latest air disaster involving Brazilian football team Chapecoense. There are a number of theories surrounding what happened including electrical failure and run out of fuel. The aircraft appears to have been holding prior to the crash.
Most accidents occur due to an unfortunate series of events coinciding, this was caused by a criminally stupid decision to attempt a non stop flight at the absolute limit of an aircrafts range with no allowances for diverting to another airport, being put in a holding pattern or even encountering a stronger than expected headwind. I apologise for sounding a bit harsh but this accident has made me quite angry because people have lost their lives needlessly due to the reckless actions of one person.

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Admin #142
I wonder if the copilot was vocal enough? I know here in the UK crews are trained to question each others decisions if they believe a decision is the wrong decision. Too many accidents happen whereby the copilot has not questioned a decision made by the captain of the flight. A sense of blarzaeness seems to occur all too often in the flight deck. Maybe computer systems with voice over should question decisions made by flight deck crew if calculations submitted suggest something is a miss?

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #143
Some quite incredible footage of a 727 which sadly crashed in Columbia. The clips show it overrunning on take off and it appears as if it hit a small building.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Admin #144
Horrific footage. Once the aircraft became airborne it turned sharp to the left. I imagine they realised they needed to return to the airport quickly but all their efforts were in vain.

Was that a crew member still alive? Do we know if he lived?

wolfheze

Platinum Member
Dec 26, 2015
Horrific footage. Once the aircraft became airborne it turned sharp to the left. I imagine they realised they needed to return to the airport quickly but all their efforts were in vain.

Was that a crew member still alive? Do we know if he lived?
Not sure if the turn was intensional or whether it was due to damage sustained on take off . The starboard wing demolished a small concrete / brick built structure before it got airborne . Another video of a successful take off demonstrates how little room for error these pilots were leaving

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Admin #147
Most accidents occur due to an unfortunate series of events coinciding, this was caused by a criminally stupid decision to attempt a non stop flight at the absolute limit of an aircrafts range with no allowances for diverting to another airport, being put in a holding pattern or even encountering a stronger than expected headwind. I apologise for sounding a bit harsh but this accident has made me quite angry because people have lost their lives needlessly due to the reckless actions of one person.
I didn't realise at the time that we had a picture of this airline in our database. I'm so far unable to ascertain if this is the same aircraft involved in the crash but our image was used in a couple of press articles. http://sipse.com/mundo/gerente-aerolinea-lamia-accidente-chapecoense-233606.html and https://regnum.ru/news/accidents/2220042.html

Credit to IL76MAN @ Forums4airports.com

Advertisement

Top Bottom