some good results from LPL at moment.

Liverpool John Lennon airport sees passenger growth of 3% in first half of year
by Phil Davies Jul 4th 2018, 10:48
easid-203336-media-id-8303.jpg

Passengers using Liverpool John Lennon airport rose by 70,000 to 2.4 million in the first half of the year.

The growth of 3% meant the first six months of 2018 were the busiest at the Merseyside airport in seven years.

Figures for the past 12 months show that the airport’s annual passenger numbers have now exceeded five million for the first time since 2011.

Throughput in June was up 2.5% year-on-year to almost 470,000 passengers.

New services by Blue Air to Majorca and Malaga, Shannon by Ryanair, special Champions League final flights and higher passenger loads on existing routes helped to boost passenger numbers.

Growth is expected to continue during the second half of the year, with a number of new routes announced including easyJet to Pula, Dalaman and Palermo; Wideroe to Bergen in August and Ryanair to Paphos in October.

Aviation development director Paul Winfield said: “The first half of 2018 has been another successful period for the airport with more and more passengers taking advantage of the convenience of flying from Liverpool.

“The recent completion of the latest terminal improvements gives our growing numbers of passengers an even better customer experience and as we build up to the busiest time of the year with the start of the school summer holidays just a few weeks away, we expect to see further growth in passenger numbers during the second half of the year.”

COMMENTS

Unlike some other uk airports Liverpool is lucky it hasn't had to endure the loss of a major airline. LBA, MAN and BHX were hit hard by the loss of Monarch last year. All have made good progress to replace lost services but it's been an uphill struggle.

Unlike some other uk airports Liverpool is lucky it hasn't had to endure the loss of a major airline. LBA, MAN and BHX were hit hard by the loss of Monarch last year. All have made good progress to replace lost services but it's been an uphill struggle.

That's true, but Liverpool did suffer from quite a lot of routes transferred by Ryanair and Easyjet to Manchester a few years back when they decided to open bases there too. So it's also been an uphill struggle to get back to where it was, it looks like Liverpool may have just about got to where it was prior to transfers which is good to see.

Whilst Easyjet and Ryanair have shown increases in seat in June 2018, there are reduction for Blue Air (-19%) less Hamburg and Larnaca , but plus Palma and Malaga however these routes have only just started. Wizzair is less 30 % with routes to Riga and Craiova not operating. Thomson is -36%, no route changes but 4 rotations less than 2017. Thomson are taking seats on Easyjet and Blue airs services now however. Flybe is 1% down over June 2017.

An odd thing that looks like it may happen is Easyjet transferring the LPL-LIS to MAN, even though this route has been running for a number of years and is probably the highest L/F of all routes from LPL being 96% in April and 94% in May. Being such a popular service I don't understand why Easyjet would do this particularly being they will encounter direct competition at MAN. It would be a prime route for Blue Air to grab if this happens.

The reason I ask is because Manchester is supposedly going up by 1 for the winter to 14

Liverpool Statistics - July 2018 (Part 1)

Monthly figures - based on CAA statistics
Monthly passengers - 490,347 -0.4%
Moving Annual Total - 4,965,888 +2.8%

Monthly Movements - 3,333 -1.9%
Moving Annual Movements - 35,472 -2.3%

Liverpool Statistics - July 2018 (Part 2)

Top 25 destinations - by passenger numbers
Note: Belfast City and Jersey have yet to submit figures.

View attachment 9712
CAA statistics for July 2018 are provisional

Liverpool Statistics - July 2018 (Part 3)

Top 25 destinations with highest percentage increase.

View attachment 9713

CAA statistics for July are provisional.

Liverpool Statistics - July 2018 (Part 4)

Comparison of top 25 destinations from July 2008 with July 2018.

View attachment 9714

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock