Ryanair

Advertisement

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Tenerife North (TFN) handles around 5.5 mppa at present - Tenerife South (TFS) double that.

TFN is mainly an airport for routes to Spanish territory.

Vueling has about a dozen routes but the only non-Spanish one is Lisbon. Ryanair operates to Madrid and Barcelona.

There are no UK routes but there are a handful of routes to outside Spanish territory, mainly seasonal: Alitalia to Rome Fiumicino; Binter to Lisbon, Marrakech and Agadir; Finnair to Helsinki; Royal Air Maroc to Casablanca; Bulgaria Air to Sofia.

I have a vague recollection of someone like Thomson operating a TFN service from the UK (probably LGW) many years ago - in the latter years of the previous century. It was complementary to TFS, not a replacement for the southern airport.

TFN would be an interesting route but whether it would have a market is another thing. You have to wonder why no-one flies there from the UK.

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
Tenerife north weather wise get a lot of rain. Tenerife south gets lots of sun and not much rain.Most of the fruit products are grown in the north.Perhaps that's why they built TFS to give the holiday punter a much better idea of weather,rather than rain.

Cardiffbay

Feb 18, 2018
Cardiff
TFN was where the pan am and klm 747 crashed into each other in fog. Wasn’t that one of the main reasons TFS was built to take advantage of the better weather!

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Tenerife north weather wise get a lot of rain. Tenerife south gets lots of sun and not much rain.Most of the fruit products are grown in the north.Perhaps that's why they built TFS to give the holiday punter a much better idea of weather,rather than rain.
Looking at the history of Tenerife South (TFS), it was built because Tenerife North (TFN), then called Los Rodeos, did not meet the technical requirements because of the adverse weather.

A lot of preparatory work had already been undertaken at TFS when the Los Rodeos air disaster occurred in March 1977 involving a collision between a Pan Am B747 and a KLM B747 that was in the act of taking off. The adverse weather (fog) was the major reason for the disaster.

TFS was opened in November 1978.

geoff

Aug 3, 2018
Port Talbot
Dan Air also had a fatal crash many years ago, when it crashed into the nearby mountains, which brought into question of the airport safety, it was then talks began about building an airport in the south. I flew from TFN to Las Palmas on an internal Spanish flight several years ago, the airport was very old fashioned compared to newer airports,

Severn

Staff member
Subscriber
Mar 24, 2012
Bristol, UK
I spotted that CWL-TFS was no longer on sale after the 24th October, but then realised it is not bookable from anywhere in the UK or Ireland so I'm assuming so schedule updates must be happening! Will be interesting to see what comes next!

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I spotted that CWL-TFS was no longer on sale after the 24th October, but then realised it is not bookable from anywhere in the UK or Ireland so I'm assuming so schedule updates must be happening! Will be interesting to see what comes next!
Fingers crossed it'll be positive news for Cardiff!

Severn

Staff member
Subscriber
Mar 24, 2012
Bristol, UK
Must have been a temporary glitch, all flights UK-TFS now bookable again.
CWL-TFS is bookable 1x weekly until the beginning November, and then 2x weekly until 6th January.

Pontyboy

Oct 20, 2018
London
I wonder how many people have now booked elsewhere because of the premature call out on CWL Facebook Groups page. Us enthusiasts/people in the know should be more careful about announcing things like a route stopping when we don't 100% for sure that is the case.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I wonder how many people have now booked elsewhere because of the premature call out on CWL Facebook Groups page. Us enthusiasts/people in the know should be more careful about announcing things like a route stopping when we don't 100% for sure that is the case.
Except as far as we know it is stopping? Flights aren't onsale after January 6th.
All that has been reported is fact. The flights were taken off sale not just here but at other airports. At no time on social media has anyone connected to the airport or Ryanair tried to deny that. The airport has been its usual quiet self when it comes to lost routes.

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
I see Ryanair started to cancel flights from FAO from jan 7th. Does this mean FAO base to close I wonder. Nothing cancelled from CWL yet but worth keeping eye on it.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I see Ryanair started to cancel flights from FAO from jan 7th. Does this mean FAO base to close I wonder. Nothing cancelled from CWL yet but worth keeping eye on it.
Or that it's down sized? We'll only find out when summer goes on sale.

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
You have read it then Jerry on the BRS thread as you liked. Faro base to close then.As Marko 1 said with BRS a bit strange with 2 of the weekly flights run by BRS based aircraft.Lets hope its wrong as CWL will loose out again.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
You have read it then Jerry on the BRS thread as you liked. Faro base to close then.As Marko 1 said with BRS a bit strange with 2 of the weekly flights run by BRS based aircraft.Lets hope its wrong as CWL will loose out again.
I read on the BHX forum that some routes had been stopped but others continue.
I think it's going to be a case of most probably Cardiff will lose the route because that's just Cardiffs luck with airlines, someone called it an airline graveyard the other day, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the route survives!

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I think Cardiff's biggest hope is that the Faro base remains open but with less aircraft, Severn just posted that it goes down to 3 based aircraft in January so fingers crossed this is a good sign that there may be a chance of the route remaining.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
There is a post on prunne saying that Ryanair Summer 2020 will be the same as 2019 but with no tenerife. At the moment i can't see anything onsale.

Top Bottom