I have a suspicion that Ryanair have been encouraged to keep away from our main Summer routes in order to satisfy Vueling.

How would that work (in the sense how could it be achieved)? The only way I could see Ryanair not treading on Vueling's summer-sun routes (assuming Ryanair wanted to) would be for the airport not to accede to the sort of cut-price airport charges that Ryanair usually expects, and gets. To do that might then upset the apple cart for other Ryanair routes that the airport might want.

How would that work (in the sense how could it be achieved)? The only way I could see Ryanair not treading on Vueling's summer-sun routes (assuming Ryanair wanted to) would be for the airport not to accede to the sort of cut-price airport charges that Ryanair usually expects, and gets. To do that might then upset the apple cart for other Ryanair routes that the airport might want.
I'd imagine it would be by not giving them discounts for Alicante and Malaga but discounts for new routes like Malta and underserved routes like Faro. Also with Alicante and Malaga Vueling is quite strong on so that could be a discouragement for Ryanair. It would be interesting to see if they may in the future look at PMI as Vueling does only have 4 weekly flights on it but TUI and TCX also operate 7 weekly flights between them which could put Ryanair off.
What will also be interesting is if Ryanair will continue BCN through the winter which is something Vueling have never done i believe.

I get the feeling that FR will step on VY’s toes so to speak in the not too distant future now that BCN has disappeared. I fear that this is the beginning of the end for VY at Cardiff now, with FR well poised to move in on PMI, ALC and AGP.

I fear that this is the beginning of the end for VY at Cardiff now, with FR well poised to move in on PMI, ALC and AGP.
I suppose it depends on the frequency Ryanair put on those routes. Up until now Ryanair have launched routes which are 2 weekly. If they went 2 weekly on each then it's possible they could live together but if they went for 4 to 5 weekly then that could lead to Vueling leaving which hopefully won't happen.

I’m not sure how logistically encouraging Ryanair not to Operate certain routes however personally I can’t see why Flybe has no interest in Amsterdam and Ryanair have no interest in operating some of the bread and butter sub routes. There appears to be some explaination which I am not privy to.

As for Vueling then the most important in my opinion was the Barcelona as was a link to another hub and people did users to use the connecting facility to other Spanish destinations.

The other services to Palma, Alicante and Malaga could easily be picked up by the likes of Ryanair, Flybe or even the Charter operators if they so wished.

I did a lot of promotion for Vueling when they first started and was invited to the event marking the start of the service at the Senedd so do have a bit of a soft spot for them. Unfortunately some large delays, not ideal scheduled days/times on some routes probably don’t help.

Vueling have been pretty stagnant of late and CWL needs to grow, if Vueling don’t want to grow then the airport has the confidence to look elsewhere.

Thank for that insight, mathers.

Going back to previous posts, I'm not sure that Ryanair would react favourably if the airport tried to pick and choose its routes from them. My feeling is that if you want them you take what they want to offer.

First post on this forum. Good to have Ryanair come in quickly and pick up BCN. Great for the airport too as a few years ago the airport used to struggle to get a new operator in if a route had been axed. Looking at BCN specifically - even though it looks like quite a big reduction in capacity, from 4 to 2 weekly, Ryanair will offer around 3,400 seats a month and that isn't too far from the actual stats this summer with VY who carried around 3,500-3,900 a month. I think Ryanair will get better LF's on this route.

I would hope the airport isn't stemming Ryanair expansion because of wanting to protect VY. VY have had a monopoly on the routes as a LCC and have had plenty of opportunity to add or change timings to improve loads. In VY's case, BCN was doing very well a few summers ago with good flight times and some A321 rotations in August so the demand was and still is there. The airport can accommodate both on the same route. There is still plenty of Welsh holiday makers travelling to BRS, BHX, London and MAN for flights to Spain.

Welcome to F4A, Pontyboy. We look forward to your active participation.

Ryanair seems to have embarked on a new regime for next summer with new flights to CWL from Malta and Barcelona; their first ever association with EXT with flights from Malaga, Malta and Naples; new routes from BOH to Prague, Paphos and Dublin; a continuation of their NQY operation with flights from Alicante, Faro and Hahn.

With their 80-odd bases the airline is well placed to offer destinations to smaller airports without necessarily having to set up a base. This time next year will be of interest to see if Ryanair expands its offering in aummer 2020 to all or some of the airports I've mentioned including CWL. Given the way Ryanair operates, there could yet be more announcements for summer 2019.

Welcome Pontyboy to F4A!

I'm probably adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 7 here but Flybe didn't release Berlin or Dusseldorf with the rest of their flights and i don't think Ryanair has released Germany yet so is their s chance they might takeover those routes as well?

I agree with tly, that it will be interesting to see what happens with summer 20, as there wasn't much speculation about growth for next year, I also wonder if another one of the canaries might be possible in winter? Oh and a big welcome to pontyboy!

If they are going to introduce a canary islands flight I'd have thought that Lanzarote would be favourite.

Dublin would seem an obvious choice, surely.

Ryanair used to operate to CWL from DUB until they fell out over airport charges in 2006.

In their last summer at CWL (2005) Ryanair operated a daily Dublin with a second rotation on Mondays and Fridays. Air Wales was also on the route with their ATR42s operating on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays (2 rotations) and Sundays (2 rotations).

Ryanair operated the smaller Boeing 737-200 then (around 126 seats?). The airline has announced a Bournemouth-Dublin route commencing next summer although I believe it's only 4 x weekly, which is of limited value to business travellers. If Ryanair did restart CWL-DUB in a substantial presence it would likely cause Flybe a serious problem on its own CWL-DUB route.

Dublin would seem an obvious choice, surely.

Ryanair used to operate to CWL from DUB until they fell out over airport charges in 2006.

In their last summer at CWL (2005) Ryanair operated a daily Dublin with a second rotation on Mondays and Fridays. Air Wales was also on the route with their ATR42s operating on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays (2 rotations) and Sundays (2 rotations).

Ryanair operated the smaller Boeing 737-200 then (around 126 seats?). The airline has announced a Bournemouth-Dublin route commencing next summer although I believe it's only 4 x weekly, which is of limited value to business travellers. If Ryanair did restart CWL-DUB in a substantial presence it would likely cause Flybe a serious problem on its own CWL-DUB route.

I think a 737 capacity would be way over the top for this route, twice a day is sufficient to be honest and winter loads can sometimes be a bit hair raising on certain days. Weekends always do well but if it couldn't work with EI/BE both doing the route then BE/FR with a big capacity increase wouldn't produce the results.

Whilst i welcome Ryanair i'd rather see some different routes or more "holiday route" capacity such as some more greek or canary flights which will get them the yield they want as on board spend will be sky high.

If Ryanair did restart CWL-DUB in a substantial presence it would likely cause Flybe a serious problem on its own CWL-DUB route.
I think a 737 capacity would be way over the top for this route, twice a day is sufficient to be honest and winter loads can sometimes be a bit hair raising on certain days. Weekends always do well but if it couldn't work with EI/BE both doing the route then BE/FR with a big capacity increase wouldn't produce the results.
I think they would be more worried about just shifting some of their passengers from Bristol though they may want to target any Aer Lingus passengers from Wales using BRS. Dublin is a route which increased frequency would be nice but maybe better from Flybe, i do know last Wednesday my sister would've flown from CWL if there was an afternoon flight, instead she had to go to BRS and fly with Ryanair.
If Ryanair are going to look at routes that Flybe operate then maybe routes like Rome or Milan or Venice or Berlin would be better? In the long run maybe it would be better if Ryanair took them over allowing Flybe to concentrate on increasing frequencies on shorter routes like Dublin and Edinburgh and Paris and look at launching regional France and UK routes as well?

Ryanair didn't seem worried about diluting their BRS service on the likes of TFS and FAO from CWL, nor do they on MLA: the same applies with their EXT and NQY routes to FAO, ALC, AGP and MLA, all of which they also serve from BRS. In 2005 when Ryanair was operating 9 x weekly on CWL-DUB they were operating 19 x weekly on BRS-DUB (as now) plus a daily Aer Lingus A320 at Lulsgate too.

That worked for them then so why not now? Had the airport and the airline not disagreed on airport charges Ryanair would almost certainly have stayed at CWL and would likely be operating at least a double-daily CWL-DUB by now.

I take the point about onboard spend being higher on holiday routes but I still believe that CWL-DUB is a route that ought to and could see more passengers.

So far as I can determine the best year for scheduled traffic on CWL-DUB (I've ignored the charter figures as they usually relate to rugby matches and can be variable from year to year) was 2005 (Ryanair's last year on the route) when 118,000 were carried. In 2017 it was 98,000 and in 2016 108,000.

In 2017 BRS-DUB handled 429,000 scheduled passengers. Is the BRS-DUB market really four times bigger than CWL-DUB? I struggle to believe it is. I accept that Ryanair might kill off Flybe on the route but there is no sentiment in business.

I accept that Ryanair might kill off Flybe on the route but there is no sentiment in business.
It might not if Faro is anything to go by. They seem to coexist there so could they complement each other especially when Flybe go all E175?

I agree with DUB - the Ryanair affect would fill the aircraft even if Flybe stayed. Flybe would perhaps lose out but in all it would be a net gain in pax for CWL.

FAO and other holiday destinations is a different market entirely, no comparison.
A weekend only schedule by FR on the DUB route they could probably sit side by side no problem but be careful what we wish for here.
Would you want to see the airline that has basically breathed life into the airport be run off routes because the route can't sustain itself due to letting another airline in bringing too much capacity.
Yes BE did that to EI but was on the basis that they come in with 2 aircraft and operate numerous routes creating jobs and pax numbers.
As the 195's go then we may see more concentration on shorter flights which would then allow for someone like FR to come in and operate routes like the FCO/MXP/VRN/FAO etc.
But for now, let's get the routes we do have working good and broaden the range of destinations, not start a dog war when things are so fragile.
Get the numbers in on what we do have and then look at starting head to head competition on demand that could be sustained.

Would you want to see the airline that has basically breathed life into the airport be run off routes because the route can't sustain itself due to letting another airline in bringing too much capacity.
It is a balancing act no doubt for the airport as airlines like Flybe and Vueling are very important and yes Flybe have been great for the airport but they themselves have benefited from their relationship with Cardiff Airport.
The airport needs airlines that can grow it's network and ones that have a big brand awareness to attract new passengers which Ryanair does. Also another key point is that the airport can now say Ryanair will fly there daily which is good PR for the airport. Hopefully we'll continue to see them add more routes at CWL!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock