Re: Covera International Airport - Thread

I think the main reason the airport was built was because the San Javier airport is essentially a military airfield that isn't open to commercial flights 24 hours a day. The new Covera International Airport will be open 24 hours offering the flexibility the airlines need.

Aviador said:
I think the main reason the airport was built was because the San Javier airport is essentially a military airfield that isn't open to commercial flights 24 hours a day. The new Covera International Airport will be open 24 hours offering the flexibility the airlines need.
I thought SJV was no longer restricted due to 2nd runway and control tower?

You might well be right about restrictions being lifted since the building of the new tower and second runway at San Javier. From what I gather (second hand information) the second runway was built without full planning consent, I don't know how true that is? According to an article about the new Covera airport in one of my previous links, it said they intend to keep the Murcia San Javier airport open for summer 2015 to recover some of the costs of building the second runway before closing the airport. It seems like madness closing the airport after spending so much money on building new runways and things but it seems to be how the Spanish work. Prior to the recession the Spanish were building airports and runways like they were going out of fashion, not quite to the extent of the Chinese though! Digressing, the new Murcia Covera airport does look mighty impressive though!

Re: Covera International Airport - Thread (RMU/LEMI)

Just found this promotional video about the new Covera international airport. You get to see much of the new facility and what it has to offer. The airport has been built in a way that allows for future growth and expansion.

Re: Corvera International Airport (RMU/LEMI) - España

The video give some interesting facts:

Runway 3000m x 45m
Parallel taxiway
4 baggage reclaim belts
Motorway link access
2030 passengers per hour initial capacity
7 security lanes
2 air bridges
11 commercial aircraft parking stands with 8 stands for general aviation with a two phased expansion from 11 to 24 then to 28
9 boarding gates with expansion to 14 then 17
34m high ATC tower
Cat 1 ILS DVOR/DME
Standard operating hours 16h per day (24h permission)
2800m2 food and beverage area

Cost of building the Covera International Airport 250m Euros (£185m)

AENA and Edeis airport operators have been shortlisted to run the new Murcia Corvera International Airport. Corporación América has been knocked out of the bidding to run the airport. The Murcia Government are still to announce an official opening date for the airport. #murcia #RMU #Corveraairport

Aena and Edeis visit Corvera airport as tender date nears

Tenderers must submit their economic offers by 30 October
lg.php

Administrators and technical staff from Aena and Edeis, the only two companies still in the race to manage Corvera International Airport, visited the complex last week as they continue to prepare their respective bids to win the ten year contract.

Read more: http://www.theleader.info/2017/09/24/aena-edeis-visit-corvera-airport-tender-date-nears/#_

Without a miraculous change of direction by the Murcia regional government it is looking likely Aena will take the contract for the new Murcia Corvera International Airport after the other remaining contender running for the airport contract pulled out.

In his address to the Murcia Assembly last week the Minister of Development, Íñigo de la Serna, said that Aena had made their bid to manage Corvera airport because it is a “profitable” asset with “significant” growth expectations. He then added that “when their management is confirmed It does not make any sense to have two airports separated by only 23 kilometres,” and that civil flights should be transferred from San Javier.

http://www.theleader.info/2017/11/06/days-numbered-san-javier-airport-aena-gets-corvera/#_
So it's looking like San Javier will be closing it's doors to passenger flights over the course of the next couple of years. #new-murcia-airport #corvera

Reported elsewhere in the forum the Covera Airport will finally be opening it's doors later this year. Scheduled flights are to cease at Murcia San Javier airport (MJV)

hi,

Just discovered this forum, I hoping that someone may be able to help.

Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo, Murcia.

Found out that there will be a new airport opening at Corvera.

I’ve read some Spanish government aviation authority proposals re new airport, the proposals were some years ago.

What I’ve found is that back in 2008 the proposed flight paths were going to be flying over Hacienda del Alamo, but the constructors objected to the planning proposals re the flight path and they changed the flight path

This is from Murcia Today (an English online newspaper), written in April 2018

“Will the flight path come over the top of my urbanization?
Technicians explained that the flight path agreed will follow a central corridor through the military airspace of the San Javier air training base and the Alcantarilla parachute training base and the path does not run over the top of any urbanisations at a low level. It is parallel to the Corvera Golf development and where it does run over urban areas will be too high for there to be noise disturbance; most of the approach path runs over rural countryside.

The technicians in charge of the logistical details of opening this new airport confirmed that the transfer of operations between the existing airport of San Javier and Corvera will guarantee continuous flights, and that “operations will conclude in San Javier one day and resume in Corvera the next“, the former airport of San Javier reverting fully to military use.

They confirmed that an agreement has been made with the military agreeing a dedicated approach corridor through military airspace, so there will be no conflict between the training activities of the military in San Javier and the civilian activities of the airport.

This also relates to the angle of the approach corridor and its course over the surrounding countryside, meaning that the aircraft will not be approaching the airport directly over any urbanisations at a low level.

The nearest urbanization, Corvera golf, lies parallel to the runway course, so noise disturbance will be minimal as the construction is not directly under the flight path.

An interesting point which came up in the conversation related to the Hacienda del Álamo development in Fuente Álamo; apparently some of the rumours relating to the approach angle of the runway actually relate to the first project to build the airport which was objected to by the constructors of the urbanization. As a result of this the flight path was modified to ensure minimal urban disturbance.

The flight path does not pass directly over any urban developments at a low level, the path completely over open countryside.

So the internet warrior who so confidently posted that “Aena was in for a shock on Saturday as it would be saddled with an airport that can´t be accessed through military airspace and has a wonky runway” was wrong.”

Can you or anyone on this forum tell me from the info above what the actual flight paths will be?

Thanks

The 2 runways are 05 and 23, Spanish government aviation proposal are shown in pic below

Generally most inbound flights will commence their final approach descending into an airport from about 7-10 miles out. Prior to that the aircraft will likely follow the same arrival tracks tracking over Alicante down the coastline before turning right towards the final approach track. Departure tracks will often lead to a turn within three miles of the airport and they will usually avoid heavily populated areas where possible.

I've tried to locate some maps but I've not been able to find any yet.

Thanks, there are some Spanish government aviation maps, I’ve seen them and I think it shows restricted airspace, but I really don’t understand them, and now cannot find them, I’ll search again for them.

You mention that departure flights would normall turn within 3 miles after taking off, what approx height would they be when making their 3 mile turn?

You mention that departure flights would normall turn within 3 miles after taking off, what approx height would they be when making their 3 mile turn?

It's in the interests of the airport authority to route aircraft away from populated areas. Departure aircraft will be climbing out so it's difficult to give precise hights. At some airports aircraft will climb initially to 4000 ft but this can vary.

In a surprise move Ryanair has announced it is withdrawing flights between Murcia Covera and Luton and East Mildands airports. Passengers who have already booked are being told their flight will now operate into Alicante airport.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock