If it couldn't get any worse right now this is a statement from Edinburgh Airport. :inpain:

Edinburgh Airport has warned that it is potentially facing the scenario of receiving no passengers in the next three months because of coronavirus.

In a statement released on Friday, a spokesman for the airport said: "We are facing an unprecedented situation, looking at the potential of three months of zero or close to zero passenger demand.

"We have spent the last few weeks looking at how we deal with the immediate and longer term effects and unfortunately that means taking some extremely tough decisions as the industry continues to react."

More than 100 jobs at the Scottish airport are said to be at risk.

At least if BHX end up in the same position, it would give them the opportunity to get the R33 ILS fixed.

Kevin

As of this morning the UK has more cases than UAE, Qatar, India & Pakistan have combined.

I doubt the UK government would ban arrivals from the UAE given they only currently have 85 cases (vs 590 in the UK), and I doubt the UAE government would ban arrivals from the UK as they'd also have to ban arrivals from countries with more cases than the UK, something that would decimate Emirates network.

Now is the time to remedy airfield shortcomings, such as taxiway ability to accommodate long wheelbase aircraft. The gorgeous A346 and the newest B777x should not struggle whilst A380 serenely glides into it's allocated gate.

If course, getting the R33 ILS sorted would please me immensely.

Now is the time to remedy airfield shortcomings, such as taxiway ability to accommodate long wheelbase aircraft. The gorgeous A346 and the newest B777x should not struggle whilst A380 serenely glides into it's allocated gate.

If course, getting the R33 ILS sorted would please me immensely.

Just like the airlines, airports will be wanting to limit what they're spending until their cashflow returns towards a more normal level. That is why we've seen airports like Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester close some of their terminals - to reduce the money they're spending day to day.

I'm afraid the days of seeing A346's flying are numbered with most operators retiring them due to Covid-19. Even without the pandemic, BHX would only likely see one on a diversion - upgrading taxiways just for a slim chance of aircraft on a diversion is not cost effective.

I'm not sure of the wheelbase of the 777X - does anything need to be changed to accommodate it?

Again, the only airline we'd likely see regular 777X operations from would be Emirates. If they did want to operate the 777X into BHX and the taxiways couldn't accommodate it, I suspect they'd communicate that to airport management. Either they'd pay up and get the taxiways done, or they'd say its not worth it for only a couple of flights a day, in which case Emirates would continue to use the A380 and/or A350/B787 when they arrive in the Emirates fleet.

As for the R33 ILS glide slope, operationally the impact is very little. On days when aircraft need the full CAT3 capabilities (due fog), winds are light in which case they can land on R15.

A side story about A380 operations - with the exception of Heathrow, whenever an A380 takes off or lands at an airport, the next few aircraft to land have to fly a non ILS approach (at most airports it will be an RNAV/GPS approach). This is due to how large the A380 is, it interferes with the ILS signals. Interesting factoid for the day.

Hi All, hope you are all well. I've been keeping track of how many Departures we are currently having on a daily basis. Does anyone know where there would be any figures to show how many weekly or monthly movements there were last year to do a comparison? Many thanks.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock