Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
CAA Stats for January

Passenger numbers for January were -1.2% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of January were 561,184

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 9,569,796 -4.7% up.

So far Birmingham has been one of the best performing airports during this difficult period.

• Admin
Re: Passenger Figures

Airport records 5% passenger rise

The 'tsunami of recessional forces' is still taking its toll, the airport says

Passenger numbers at Birmingham Airport have risen by almost 5%, despite a decline at many other UK airports.

Figures from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) show that across the UK passenger numbers in 2008 were down for the first time since 1991.

But Birmingham experienced the biggest increase in passenger numbers of all UK airports, up nearly 500,000 on 2007.

A spokesman said the figures underline the airport's progress but the aviation industry continues to face challenges.

Chief executive Paul Kehoe said: "The tsunami of recessional forces hitting the region is having an effect on the airport, but Birmingham continues to perform better than the majority of other UK airports and remains an attractive proposition for airlines and other partners.

"Ryanair arriving last year certainly improved our passenger performance overall," he added.

The airport handled 586,356 passengers through its two terminals, including 492,482 scheduled passengers and 93,874 charter passengers.

UK airports handled 235 million passengers during 2008, a drop of 1.9%, the CAA said.

Source

• Admin

Birmingham Airport passengers fall by 7.7%

PASSENGER numbers at Birmingham Airport were 7.7 per cent lower in March this year than in March last year.

There were 674,301 passengers travelling through the airport near Bickenhill during March this year, a 7.7 per cent drop on March last year.

Birmingham Airport chief executive Paul Kehoe said: “These latest statistics again underline the challenging economic environment we are facing at the moment, conditions that are affecting the whole of the aviation industry both here and abroad.

“I have always said that this year will be a testing one but let’s not forget that Birmingham is performing better than the majority of other UK airports and we continue to see the launch of new routes and airlines from the Midlands’ premier airport.”

Source

Does anyone think that the US Air service starting in May will help or hinder the CO service?

I am hopefull that with US starting the figures will show a slight increase but I am worried that the new flight will dilute the passenger loads for CO (which I hope does not happen as they are a long standing supporter for BHX). When we had the BA and AA services here to JFK and ORD I was firmly of the opinion that we (as a community) must use it or loose it. We did not support the services enough and we all know what happened there. It is encouraging that the figures are going in the right direction for BHX as a whole but we need to ensure that it continues otherwise we shall start seeing more services being lost.

I would have thought the Birmingham catchment is big enough to sustain the additional service. The area has a very large business sector.

Wasn't it in 2006 that CO reduced its rotations from BHX to EWR?

I've checked some figures that show that in 2005 172,000 travelled on the BHX-EWR route, falling to 121,000 the following year, with 106,000 in 2008.

Even with the current world economic woes both routes are probably viable.

On the general topic of BHX, it seems to be coping with the credit crunch much better than most UK airports. I know the additional Ryanair services have helped but the airport's performance is still impressive.

• Admin

CAA Stats for June

Passenger numbers for June were -3.7% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of June were 898,382

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 9,411,163 -0.4% down.

One of the UK's best performing airports but I think the new Ryanair base will be masking the general downdurn the other airlines at BHX have probably seen.

Removing the Ryanair factor the overrall reductions are likely to be closer to the national average of around -7% down.

Expect the decline to worsen in the final two quarters this year in line with the worse then expected economic contraction. A recovery beginning next year?

• Admin

Spot on 'ericc' reductions starting to show in this months figures.

CAA Stats for July

Passenger numbers for July were -6.2% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of July were 967,953

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 9,347,101 -1.1% down.

Statistically, still the UK's best performing main airport largely because of the new Ryanair base there.

• Admin

CAA Stats for August

Passenger numbers for August were -5.7% down compared with the same month last year. Passenger numbers for the month of August were 1,013,418

The rolling year passenger numbers stand at 9,285,952 -2.5% down.

Much better than the national average.

Passenger figures for February were 548,346 down -6.3% on the same month last year. Rolling year figures stand at 9,014,372 which is -5.4% down on same period the previous year. Birmingham has now lost it's position as the UK's 6th largest airport pushing it into 7th place after Edinburgh.

[textarea]Passengers up at Birmingham Airport for the first time in 2 years

Passenger numbers have grown at Birmingham Airport for the first time in two years, the Birmingham Mail reports. A total of 522,562 people used the airport during January, up 0.2 percent on the same month in 2010.

Airport chief executive Paul Kehoe told the newspaper that although the increase was small, it hinted that the market was starting to recover. He said: ‘It says to me that we are at the bottom of the market and that we will come back. I say that cautiously because things are happening in the Middle East and north Africa and they could affect us. We’ve got to be realistic because the market is very twitchy and some established routes have closed at other airports. But our business passengers are coming back and the routes to European capitals are growing.’

Mr Kehoe added that the market had been buoyed by the number of passengers leaving Birmingham for Dubai smashing through the 1000-a-day barrier last year.

Source[/textarea]

According to latest CAA passenger statistics at total of 535,946 passed through Birmingham Airport (BHX) during February, -2.2% down on February last year.

Rolling year passengers stand at 8,554,851, down -5.1% on the previous 12 months.

Source: CAA

DfT forecast for UK airport passenger numbers in 2020 and 2050

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has picked up on the post I did recently in the Aviation Industry forum regarding the DfT's forecast for UK airport passenger figures for the years 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050.

I reproduced the figures for 2020 and 2050 for the current top 20 airports.

Perhaps the Aviation Industry forum is not well visited so I thought I'd mention the individual airport figures in the forums of the more popular airports on forums4airports.

The Dft is forecasting sparse growth until 2020 at many regional airports.

Birmingham Airport is forecast to be handling 20 mppa in 2020 and 25 mppa in 2050.

It's one of the exceptions to the sparse growth forecats in the next decade.

December 2011

CAA stats show that 569,796 passengers used BHX in December, up 4.1% on December 2010. Atms were up 2.9%.

The snow affected December 2010 probably accounted for the rise but the year has been solid if unspectacular.

Rolling 12-month total (ie the calendar year) was 8,608,828, up 0.5% on a year ago.

March 2011

CAA stats show that 631,139 passengers used BHX in March 2012, up 1.6% on March 2011. Atms were down 2.6%. Rolling 12-month total was 8,592,661, up 0.9% on a year ago.

Slow progress but progress nonetheless.

CAA Passenger Stats for May 2012

During May a total of 790,626 passengers used Birmingham airport up 1.6% on May last year.

Rolling year passenger totals stand at 8,621,419 down -0.3% year on year.

Overall Birmingham airport is performing well comparing it with other regional airports.

[textarea]Birmingham Airport sees numbers soar

Record-breaking numbers of passengers have flown from Birmingham Airport as bosses revealed big plans for thousands of jobs and new long haul destinations.

The airport has had its best growth in more than three years as thousands tried to flee the constant downpours and took advantage of a strong pound against the weak euro.

It comes as the airport is working to offer direct flights to Beijing and Shanghai to help West Midland businesses tap into the emerging markets in China as well as providing direct flights to the west coast of America.

Latest figures reveal 912,151 people flew from the airport in June, 5.9 per cent up on the year before.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012 ... z20BcmwJpO[/textarea]

A good increase for BHX. Lets hope it continues. The economy is still on the rocky side, hopefully bumping on the bottom as opposed to getting worse. Many airlines are showing signs of expansion for next summer so hopefully they view the future as being brighter than it is at the present.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock