Manchester Statistics - September 2019

Introduction

Destinations that are either new (no passengers since my records started in January 2005), or have not been served for a number of years - if the latter then the month and year of the last service is shown.
Astana (in Kazakhstan) was a new destination served in September 2019.

Million passenger routes (Rolling annual figures)
Amsterdam - 1,057,640 passengers

The following domestic statistics are missing from the CAA report for September.
All airports are included.

Moving monthly and annual figures - based on CAA statistics/MAG statistics
Monthly passengers – 2,951,752 +3.80%
Annual Total – 17,475,079 +5.13%
Moving Annual Total - 29,510,599 +5.50%

Monthly Movements – 19,566 +2.35%
Annual Movements – 115,256 +2.22%
Moving Annual Movements – 204,178 +2.02%

Manchester Airport's September statistics
Screenshot-408.png

Top 25 destinations - by passenger numbers
Screenshot-492.png

Top destinations with highest percentage increase.
Screenshot-493.png

Figures for the European and long-haul destinations that I consider to be the main points for our connecting traffic.
Screenshot-494.png

Istanbul figures are affected by the start of the Pegasus service to Sabiha Gokcen airport. The combined figures for both airports gives an increase of 58.8% over the same month last year.

Comparison of top 25 destinations - September 2009 versus September 2019
Screenshot-495.png

Major changes to Domestic traffic
Screenshot-497.png

Load factors analysis on certain routes
Screenshot-499.png

Calculations are based of FlightRadar24 for days of flight operation, Planespotter.net for Seat Plans and CAA data for monthly figures.
Please remember when looking at these figures that they only reflect passengers per flight. One needs to take into account that Addis Ababa and Houston/Singapore are destinations which are part of a route that serves not just Manchester but another city enroute.

I don't understand the CAA. September's data was only released 6 days ago and here we are with October's figures - minus 6 UK airports who have not yet reported.

I've started my usual analysis and hopefully will have it done for tomorrow evening. Right, back to the whisky after an evening of late night shoppng in Cockermouth where - believe it or not - shops were offering glasses of wine whilst you perused their wares.

Manchester Statistics - October 2019

Introduction

Destinations that are either new (no passengers since my records started in January 2005), or have not been served for a number of years - if the latter then the month and year of the last service is shown.

No new destinations were included in October

Amsterdam - 1,061,781 passengers

The following domestic statistics are missing from the CAA report for October.
Aberdeen, Belfast City, Glasgow, and Guernsey whose total passengers, in 2018, totaled 56,355

Moving monthly and annual figures - based on CAA statistics/MAG statistics
Monthly passengers – 2,505,175 -1.86%
Annual Total – 19,980,245 +4.20%
Moving Annual Total - 29,483,197 +4.81%

Monthly Movements – 17,737 -2.50%
Annual Movements – 132,993 +1.56%
Moving Annual Movements – 203,724 +1.61%

Manchester Airport's October statistics
Screenshot-468.png

Screenshot-522.png

Screenshot-523.png

Figures for the European and long-haul destinations that I consider to be the main points for our connecting traffic.
Screenshot-524.png

Istanbul figures are affected by the start of the Pegasus service to Sabiha Gokcen airport. The combined figures for both airports gives an increase of 61.8% over the same month last year.
New York (JFK) – Although the monthly figures is down by 17,391 one must remember that Thomas Cook in September had carried 12,558 passengers until their sad demise on 23rd September.

Comparison of top 31 destinations - October 2009 versus October 2019
Screenshot-525.png

Screenshot-526.png

Screenshot-527.png

Calculations are based of FlightRadar24 for days of flight operation, Planespotter.net for Seat Plans and CAA data for monthly figures.
Please remember when looking at these figures that they only reflect passengers per flight. One needs to take into account that Addis Ababa and Houston/Singapore are destinations which are part of a route that serves not just Manchester but another city enroute.

New York...ouch. It's also by far the biggest Thomas Cook route no one has announced any extra capacity on for next summer.

New York...ouch. It's also by far the biggest Thomas Cook route no one has announced any extra capacity on for next summer.
Probably happy to increase their yields and divert other passengers onto other flights at other airports to help increase their yields there.

It would be disappointing if Virgin didn't increase capacity on JFK next summer. I assume they are still working on aircraft availability in developing plans for further expansion. They've certainly applied for, and obtained, plenty of slots. It's also worth emphasising the high loads UA achieved this summer on EWR with the B764 so New York has been a very strong market for MAN.

Just to annoy TheLocalYokel I'm pleased to be able to provide Manchester's November statistics - and only 3 days into December

I believe that to only be just under 28,000 down on the same month last year is actually a positive outcome.

Screenshot-545.png

Just to annoy TheLocalYokel I'm pleased to be able to provide Manchester's November statistics - and only 3 days into December

I expect the CAA will publish their own stats for November around next Easter - if they get their skates on.

Whilst I was studying the November stats I did notice the very large increase in numbers under Private/Misc passengers.

When queried with the airport it has been confirmed that there is an error in the allocation of passengers. The final numbers won't change but I'll amend the spreadsheet to show the correct breakdown and then repost.

It does delight me that, having nurtured contacts over a period of time, I do receive prompt responses to questions.

I've manipulated the US DOT' T-100 statistics to produced this route/airline breakdown for our US routes. Bear in mind that these statistics only cover the period January to May

78721479_10219793907574768_7644322147929686016_n.jpg

To have had Thomas Cook getting over 90% loads on their routes makes it all the more harder to have had them fail as part of the overall group. Yes, predominantly holiday led but which airline over the Atlantic does not have a decent proportion of passengers taking advantage of a tie-in between an airline and it's holiday division. Find it quite interesting that SFO has considerably more inbound passengers than outbound so it does kind of require a question to be asked if there would be any airline wanting to risk this route as it appears that it may not wholly be reliant on outbound traffic.

It can clearly see where some frequency enhancements can be done by Virgin should they desire and also "rightsizing" aircraft to routes ought to see them getting better seat load factors and potentially boosting the profitability of route but as we know with batch of A339s and A350 due over the coming years, it's a case of wait and see..

American really do seem to be struggling. Quite why they want to cede the transatlantic market to DL/VS and UA baffles me as relying on passengers to route over LHR/DUB when others seem to be of a different mindset.

Manchester Statistics - November 2019

Introduction

No new destinations were included in November.

Amsterdam - 1,062,610 passengers

The following domestic statistics are missing from the CAA report for November.
Glasgow whose total passengers, in 2018, totaled 4,176

Moving monthly and annual figures - based on MAG statistics
Manchester Airport's November statistics
Screenshot-545.png

Screenshot-607.png

Screenshot-608.png

Screenshot-609.png

Istanbul figures are affected by the start of the Pegasus service to Sabiha Gokcen airport. The combined figures for both airports gives an increase of 50.5% over the same month last year.

Comparison of top 31 destinations - November 2009 versus November 2019

Scheduled flights to Glasgow ceased at the end of October, so the number might be actually zero rather than missing.

Many thanks for bringing me back to the present time. For some reason I thought that Loganair still operated the route after flybe quit.

Finally I have managed to lay my hands on a copy of the December statistics and we at last have a month with a positive passenger increase (just!)

Screenshot-640.png

Closing numbers for 2019

Terminal Passengers - 29,375,150
Transit Passengers - 69,708
Total Passengers - 29,444,858

Over 4000 passengers on Ethiopian's service in December. Up a small matter of 129%. edited as it was only 3 weekly for half of December meaning I make it around 130 passengers per flight.

Last edited:
Over 4000 passengers on Ethiopian's service in December. Up a small matter of 129%. edited as it was only 3 weekly for half of December meaning I make it around 130 passengers per flight.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have my review of December's traffic uploaded on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Most of the long haul performed really well with QR, EK, OMA, ETH, doing very well especially QR and ETH

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock