I find it sad BLK went, seemingly so quickly, I did fly from there a few times on Ryanair, Jet2 and Manx2.

Surely the current government who support local regional airports could come up with some funding.
Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...port-or-we-ll-boot-you-out-of-power-1-9327643
The UK government, unlike the Welsh and Scottish governments in their countries, will not offer any financial support to English regional airports. The best that can be hoped for is central funding to improve road and, via Network Rail, rail connectivity.

We aren't likely to see the UK government buy ailing airports such as Blackpool or Durham Tees Valley, or even closed ones such as Plymouth, in the way that the Welsh and Scottish governments breathed life into CWL and PIK respectively.

One argument is that England (especially) has too many airports anyway. I don't necessarily subscribe to that but it's undeniable that our airport map grew in a haphazard way throughout the first and mid part of the last century. Every town or city of any size wanted its own civic airport prior to WW2 and after the war many former RAF station sites were turned into civil airports. The result is an uneven spread of airports geographically with some unpropitiously sited within their local area.

The UK government, unlike the Welsh and Scottish governments in their countries, will not offer any financial support to English regional airports. The best that can be hoped for is central funding to improve road and, via Network Rail, rail connectivity.

We aren't likely to see the UK government buy ailing airports such as Blackpool or Durham Tees Valley, or even closed ones such as Plymouth, in the way that the Welsh and Scottish governments breathed life into CWL and PIK respectively.

One argument is that England (especially) has too many airports anyway. I don't necessarily subscribe to that but it's undeniable that our airport map grew in a haphazard way throughout the first and mid part of the last century. Every town or city of any size wanted its own civic airport prior to WW2 and after the war many former RAF station sites were turned into civil airports. The result is an uneven spread of airports geographically with some unpropitiously sited within their local area.

Unless they can get a local company with deep pockets interested, someone like Stobart. The Walker Steel group were I believe behind JEA and Later Flybe at one time, which was why there was the BLK-BHD service .
They could do with a better rail operator than Northern Rail who is doing Blackpool no favours at all.

Last edited:
One argument is that England (especially) has too many airports anyway.

It's not the first time I've heard that mentioned but I don't agree. Personally I believe it's more a case of a disproportionate number of passengers being forced to use a small number of large airports, namely Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester airports. Of course people aren't literally forced to use the big three, but airlines predominantly focus on the big three rather than offering local departure points.

Up until Blackpool pulled the plug on passenger ops, Jet2 had said it had a viable operation from there just prior to it's closure.

It's not the first time I've heard that mentioned but I don't agree. Personally I believe it's more a case of a disproportionate number of passengers being forced to use a small number of large airports, namely Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester airports. Of course people aren't literally forced to use the big three, but airlines predominantly focus on the big three rather than offering local departure points.

Up until Blackpool pulled the plug on passenger ops, Jet2 had said it had a viable operation from there just prior to it's closure.

I think BLK future is still evolving. It is actually still very much open but not for scheduled flights since the terminal was knocked down. It wouldnt surprise me to see passenger flights return in the future. The airport has good road access already with the M55 close by , will see how it developes.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...ispeed-looking-to-create-extra-jobs-1-9304081

I think Jet2 operation had steadily grown at BLK too. Prior to them both Ryanair and Monarch had flights operating from Blackpool.

I suppose it's getting a critical mass that leads to an economy of scale for major airlines at the big airports that they wouldn't get at smaller airports - I'm thinking mainly of long haul here. Some manage to spread the load around the UK, particularly Emirates and Qatar, albeit the London airports in total still have a greater frequency than anywhere else.

It almost certainly would not be good business for an airline if it reduced services at, say, LHR and moved some of its capacity to let's say Newcastle, Leeds-Bradford and East Midlands.

Perhaps one obvious example of this is the former Continental Airlines that operated a daily service between Bristol and Newark for five and a half years which at the time they began the route had no LHR access rights. As soon as they gained such rights they almost immediately switched their LGW operation to LHR and within a couple of years or so had moved their daily BRS flight to LHR as well because it obviously made no sense to them operating 4 x daily Newark flights from LHR with a fifth operating from a small airport just 100 miles away. There were other contributory factors but undoubtedly LHR access was the main one.

I'm probably not as set against the idea of a handful of major airports serving most of the country's inter-continental needs as are some who follow aviation. I entirely accept that this might be a selfish attitude on my part because LHR with its myriad of choices is within relatively easy reach of my home. Then again, if an airline decides it's better off serving just one or two major airports in the UK I think that's better than trying to be all things to all people and falling flat on its face. Other people will take a different view.

One point is how we can keep it all relevant in this thread to Blackpool Airport which with the best will in the world would never be one of the airports that an airline would switch to from LHR or MAN - again I'm thinking mainly of long haul.

more on BLK

Resumption of commercial flights from Blackpool airport ‘unviable’
by Phil Davies Oct 29th 2018, 08:10
easid-314943-media-id-16578.jpg

Commercial flights from Blackpool airport have been deemed as unviable in a report compiled by aviation experts.
York Aviation analysed the market to assess how likely it is that commercial air services might be re-introduced after an absence of two years
The firm looked at a number of holiday routes operating on an annual or seasonal basis that could theoretically sustain passenger levels to justify services to rival competition from the likes of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds Bradford airports.
The report suggests that the total anticipated market for passengers from the region is estimated at 250,000.
But such volumes at Blackpool would require high levels of investment in new terminal facilities, security, operational equipment and staffing, the cost of which would far outweigh the income generated and could see an annual seven figure financial loss.
Around 1.5 million passengers a year would be needed to justify the level of investment required to support a full-scale return of mainstream passenger services.
Historically, the maximum annual passenger numbers at Blackpool airport peaked at 700,000.
The report summarises that on that basis commercial passenger services have been deemed unviable, although this could be revisited in future subject to any changes in market conditions.
York Aviation explored the potential for a resumption of regional air services to the Isle of Man, Dublin and Belfast which operated from the airport until 2016.
The opportunity for re-introduction of such services will continue to be reviewed, but the report advises that “careful consideration and financial scrutiny” would need to be given to the increased costs of staffing and operational requirements.
Councillor Mark Smith, cabinet member for regeneration, enterprise and economic development for Blackpool Council which acquired the airport last year, said: “The York Aviation report provides clear guidance for future marketing opportunities and identifies priorities for investment.
“It gives an invaluable steer on management roles and responsibilities to enable a long term, sustainable, operational airport and the successful delivery of the overall Enterprise Zone.”
But he added: “At this stage, it is clear that the reintroduction of commercial flights is not financially viable. Similarly, the operation of smaller services such as flights to the Isle of Man, Dublin and Belfast, would break even at best.
“If we are to maintain an operational airport in Blackpool it is critical that we take heed of the financial reality.
“The airport is an integral part of the future development of the Enterprise Zone and a much loved and valued transport asset for Lancashire. Our focus and dedication is to support the business sectors already operating and to promote opportunities for new growth for the airport.”
As a key element of the wider Blackpool Airport Enterprise Zone strategy and development, £28.8 million has already been allocated for the next three years which includes £3.45 million towards the initial activity of relocating and replacing older aircraft hangars, providing new apron and a new offshore helicopter terminal.
A summary of the report will be considered by the council on November 5.

A local councillors response to recent report.

There's still chance of bringing holiday flights back to Blackpool, says councillor The last Jet2 flight leaving Blackpool Airport SHELAGH PARKINSON Email Published: 15:01 Wednesday 31 October 2018 Share this article Sign Up To Our Daily Newsletter Sign up Fancy 100’s of hours of FREE TV and films? Promoted by Virgin Trains 0 HAVE YOUR SAY Blackpool Airport should mimic the success of other small airports in order to bring back holiday flights, a leading councillor has claimed. Coun Tony Williams, leader of the Conservative group on Blackpool Council, said a new masterplan for the Squires Gate hub was "disappointing" due to its lack of ambition about the potential to accommodate big jets. Read more Blackpool Airport: Exciting new masterplan is ready for take off, but will holiday flights return? The report, produced by industry consultants York Aviation on behalf of the council which bought the airport in September 2017, says the reintroduction of commercial passenger services cannot currently be justified on cost grounds. It recommends the airport focuses instead on the niche market of executive jet travel, and highlights the importance of retaining off-shore helicopter flights. Is a part time job worthwhile? Universal Credit can top up part time wages so it's a great way to get back to work and boost your skills. Find out more Sponsored by Universal Credit Coun Williams said: "I was quite disappointed to read the report on Blackpool Airport and feel it is quite negative in regard to the potential growth and opportunities. "Saying the airport would lose £500,000 per year if it introduced commercial jet flights would seem to contradict the success of smaller airport growth in other parts of the country such as Leeds/Bradford, Bournemouth and Exeter. "In essence the report states the whole viability of Blackpool Airport rests on keeping the offshore helicopter contract. "It also states the life span of that business has only got a 10 to 15 year window. So what happens after that? "I’m not an aviation expert but like many residents in the town I can see the bigger picture. "Why can’t we find inward aviation investors and follow in the footsteps of other regional airports which have successfully grown their international business. " The report, which is due to go before the council's executive on Monday for consideration, says increased costs associated with commercial passenger flights would result in an annual loss of around £590,000 per year. Its research found 1.5 million passengers a year would be needed to justify the investment required for holiday flights, but current demand is estimated to be enough to attract only around 250,000 passengers a year. McDelivery:

Read more at: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...s-back-to-blackpool-says-councillor-1-9422247

Visit by UAE officials to BLK

A delegation from the United Arab Emirates visited Blackpool Airport to talk about potential investments in the enterprise zone.
The VIP visit is the latest overseas interest in the project after the council confirmed it had been in talks with Far Eastern businessman Henry Teh who recently met Blackpool FC fans to talk about a possible bid for the club.
image.jpg
A delegation from the UAE visited Blackpool to discuss investment possibilities. Back row, left to right, Ratif Malik, Emile Heskey, Talha Yakub'Front left to right, Neil Jack Chief Executive Blackpool Council, His Excellency Mahmood AlHashmi, CEO Ajman Media City Free Zone.

The UAE delegation included His Excellency Mahmood AlHashmi, a prominent businessman and Atif Malik of AM Corporation, Manchester, who had a guided tour of the Enterprise Zone and Blackpool Airport and signed a Memorandum of Understanding pledging a mutual collaboration with Blackpool Council.

The document sets out potential areas of co-operation and objectives for both parties to explore the commercial and investment opportunities at the airport, the wider Enterprise Zone and other prospects that are part of the town’s £1bn Growth and Prosperity development plan.
You have 4 free articles remaining this week
Subscribe today
Neil Jack, chief executive of Blackpool Council said: “We were delighted to welcome His Excellency to Blackpool to discuss the exciting investment opportunities that are available in the town.
“Both parties have agreed to work together, co-operating and learning from each other and to seek to achieve the optimum development potential for Blackpool.”
“His Excellency has a wealth of experience in developing similar commercial employment projects around the world and we will seek to share information and experiences as we move forward with the different phases of development at Blackpool Airport Enterprise Zone.”
Mr AlHashmi said: “We have developed several investment destinations in the UAE and have successfully attracted over 27,000 companies in the UAE that have brought in strong FDI.

“We will use the wealth of our experience to replicate the success that we have enjoyed in the UAE to Blackpool.”
Atif Malik said, “The Enterprise Zone and Blackpool Airport will be an exciting project and I am looking forward to start work on this later in the year.
“Opening up the North of England to The Middle East was a dream of mine.”
n On the possible Henry Teh interest in the airport, a council spokesman said: “Blackpool Council can confirm that we have an ongoing dialogue with Henry Teh, Global Ports Asia, regarding a variety of potential investments.

“We have ongoing open discussions with various potential investors who have expressed an interest in a wide range of investment opportunities across the Fylde Coast.

New managing director for Blackpool airport​

Blackpool Airport has a new managing director tasked with establishing its growth strategy.
Steve Peters joins the team from his previous role as commercial director-Asia Pacific and board member for an aviation MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul) company at its UK head office.
Originally from New Zealand, Steve’s career break into aviation came in the UK in the early nineties with a corporate aircraft management company, where he was responsible for aircraft sales and acquisitions.
His extensive experience also includes aircraft management, remarketing, and consultancy work, working with eminent companies such as Japan Airlines and Mitsubishi Corporation in Tokyo, and establishing a flight simulator company back in New Zealand.
Steve also spent time as GM-commercial for a general aviation aircraft manufacturer.
He said: “The role at Blackpool Airport appeals on multiple fronts, not least the opportunity to work with the airport and Enterprise Zone teams to help realise aviation growth opportunities in aircraft operations and support.
“The first steps will be to fully understand the challenges and potential of the airport as a business, with a view to quickly establishing strategy around how the airport can grow over the next three to five years and developing the plans and timelines to deliver on that strategy.”
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Chair of BOAL (Blackpool Airport Operations Ltd) said: “After successfully transferring the CAA licences back under the control of the airport in November last year, the airport has been eagerly anticipating Steve’s appointment as the final piece of the puzzle to kick start the airport’s new independent journey, and we are delighted to welcome Steve to the team.
“We chose Steve for the position as we believe he has the right skills, experience and enthusiasm to lead the airport towards a brighter, more profitable, sustainable future as an important strategic transport hub for Lancashire.”

( from Lancashire Business View )

Does this mean that in due course that Blackpool will become a 'real' airport again with commercial flights, or is it just going to be a case of developing business on the site? I am unclear as to where it is supposed to be going.

It would be nice to see but I can't see that ever happening.

In the days of Jet2 offering flights from there, they were almost pushed out so I'm not sure the business model of larger airlines fits with a small airport operation.

There was always Irish Sea traffic in the past, but they would be competing with Easyjet and Ryanair from LPL and MAN , so fares would be higher. I was always amazed that Carlisle had a rebirth recently.

It would be nice to see but I can't see that ever happening.

In the days of Jet2 offering flights from there, they were almost pushed out so I'm not sure the business model of larger airlines fits with a small airport operation.

From what i understand from someone I know in Blackpool who worked in aviation, they never made any money from Jet2s ops.

Blackpool Airport: Flights to Isle of Man being considered​

• Published
      4 days ago
Blackpool airport circa 2015

Image caption,
Commercial flights from Blackpool Airport stopped in October 2014
The possibility of reinstating commercial flights from Blackpool Airport to the Isle of Man is being explored, a council leader has said.
Lynn Williams, of Blackpool Council, said discussions were ongoing regarding flights to the island.
It comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson suggested the airport should reopen for holidaymakers.
But Ms Williams said the future of the airport was not a political issue but "purely about financial risk."
She added that the resort's Squires Gate Lane air terminal, which closed to commercial flights in 2014, was "competing with the likes of Manchester and Liverpool, both of which have benefited from massive investment and subsidy".
She confirmed that talks were ongoing about the prospect of flights to the Isle of Man.
During a visit to Blackpool Airport in June, Mr Johnson challenged the council, which owns the airport, to look again at the possibility of bringing commercial flights back, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

Financial losses​

Ms Williams said the council could look at reinstating flights if the government was willing to underwrite its losses.
She said: "I agree that flying in and out of Blackpool to European destinations was a great experience with no queues and rapid arrival and departure in an uncrowded terminal.
"I totally understand why people would like the opportunity to do that again, but it is the fact that there were no queues that is the problem.
"At our peak in 2007, the airport lost £2m and during Balfour Beattie's 10-year ownership, it lost about £27m."
She added: "If the government was willing to underwrite losses, then absolutely we can look at the reinstatement of European flights."

( FROM bbc)

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock