Buschi2201

Jan 4, 2012
Hi,

in two weeks I travel to Dubai. In case of that I tryed to collect some impressions.

DUBAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Greetz Buschi2201

Re: Dubai International Airport

Use Dubai regularily as my son leaves there with his wife. Fly KLM from Leeds to Dubai via Amsterdam. If you haven't yet chosen your seat suggest you reserve at seat on the right hand side of the aircraft on the way in to Dubai, normal approach is over the sea and the city including the magnificent Burj Khalifa (worlds tallest building) is visible on approach from this side. Likewise book on the left hand side on return leg again for great pics of the city as aircraft normally take off over the sea. The airport is big, spacious and ultra modern with all facilities. Shopping is good but duty free prices are not that cheap. Passport control can be a problem on arrival, hit it at the wrong time and it can take up to 45 minutes to get through.

Re: Dubai International Airport

I've used Dubai Airport four times in the past year or so - twice en route from UK to Australia and twice coming back.

It's certainly big and modern though there are one or two scruffier and older bits, especially if you leave from a remote stand. The bussing can take up to 15 minutes journey time.

The four occasions that we've used the airport have been for 2-3 hours at a time between 0500 and 1000 (each time to await ongoing Emirates flights) and, being a real 24-hour airport, the terminals are always busy.

What my wife and I dislike though are the crowds that seem to be constantly on the move inside the terminal. It's rather like pushing your way through a huge shopping centre on sales day - not a pleasant experience at all.

I can certainly vouch for the incredible views below on approach and departure. Emirates aircraft are equipped with forward and downward facing cameras that make the experience even better.

Hi,

I created a new video after my last trip to Dubai a few days ago. I hope you like it.

Greetz

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dubai International Airport (DXB) - Thread

It's a great video, many thanks. When you say you created it did you take all the shots? The reason I ask is that some are obviously from above as well as a tracking shot of an aircraft on the ground.

I've been using DXB as a transfer airport to Australia for the past four years and it's a truly modern airport, although it still has small areas that are reminiscent of the 1970s but I think they are being eliminated. Dubai itself is a breathtaking resort especially when viewed from the air.

I've always found DXB very crowded in the public areas although the new EK 380 concourse seems to be addressing that to a degree. The snag is that if you arrive or depart on a 777 for transfer to/from a 380 it's still a jaunt including a train ride to reach the 380 concourse.

DXB is rapidly catching up with LHR in terms of passenger numbers (over 66 million in 2013). When you see all the 380s lined up (and that's nothing to what will be the case in a few years' time) the sheer scale of the place is mind blowing.

And that's not all. I saw a reference in your video to Al Maktoum International Airport a few miles away. That has an intended capacity of up to 260 million passengers a year!

Concourse A

To continue my last post of October 2014, I note that Emirates is getting more and more A 380s in service and that Concourse A (the Emirates '380 Concourse') can only accommodate (I think) 20 of these aircraft). Qantas 380s can also use Concourse A as part of their tie-up with Emirates.

Concourse A was opened in 2013 and is connected by train to the older parts of terminal 3 of which it forms a part. Since my previous post I have used DXB again with Emirates to/from Australia and this time it was 380 on all four sectors. However, our inbound flight from LGW to DXB and outbound DXB-LGW on the return both parked away from Concourse A meaning we had to negotiate yet again the thoroughly unpleasantly overcrowded DXB, where signage is also poor and misleading, as the MEL flights both departed and arrived at Concourse A.

Looking at Wiki Emirates currently has 74 380s in service with another 66 on order so it can be seen that Concourse A is never going to be big enough for all 380s even taking into account that they won't all be at DXB at the same time. The Qantas 380s will add to this number of course.

Although my wife and I have used EK regularly since 2010 and will use them again later this year the DXB aircraft changeover is always the worst part of what is generally a good experience.

Welcome to Forums4airports Juliathomas1 what makes the parking the best you"ve ever seen?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock