Good news for the airline. They do have a lot riding however on this Summer. Allegedly they've spent quite a bit in the way of infrastructure, hotel stock etc for their holiday side of the business all for S20, which didn't happen, so really start need to claw that back this summer.

They are a good airline and very much needed and hope that they do bounce back. This is good news however.

easyJet has just reported on its key Christmas quarter. These are some of the headlines.

+ Just 10% of services are being operated in the current quarter

+ There is pent-up demand ahead after March but the airline admits customers are booking late because of Covid uncertainty

+ The airline has a record number of aircraft at Gatwick

+ First quarter revenue including Christmas earnings fell by 88% to £165 million with passenger numbers down 87% on the same period last year

+ Cost-cutting initiatives have helped reduce cash burn to £40 million per week in a 'fully grounded scenario'.

+ Company shared fell by 4% on the news but had recovered to finish the day up 4.6%.

One financial analyst believes that the issues facing easyJet go well beyond cash management. Their rivals Ryanair and now Wizz Air have lower cost bases which has enabled them to be more aggressive in putting back capacity online which may find easyJet caught 'on a dangerous middle ground' between more aggressive low-cost carriers and legacy carriers.

From today's Travel Trade Gazette:

Johan Lundgren, easyJet chief executive, said progress made since 2020 meant he was optimistic.

Speaking at World Aviation Festival Virtual, he said: “We are not at all looking at a summer like last year.”

Lundgren said the vaccine roll-out in the UK and other countries would facilitate travel. “That gives us a completely different stability.”

He said governments and the industry now had data and statistics “that were not there before”, which would flag up areas of concern and give the industry early warning of possible border closures.

“The UK is looking at producing a watch list to see where countries are headed so we don’t get a surprise,” he said.

“That’s down to the stats and facts that are there, so there’s no evidence we are heading for a summer like last.”

He predicted UK travellers would have access to most of Europe. “I have high hopes for a strong summer. I can’t see right now, with the developments taking place as we speak, with the roll-out of the vaccine, that there should be really any large number of countries not being in the green category.”

Lundgren said he was “suspicious” of digital passports but added: “We are not against it as such if it is there to exempt you from other restrictions.”

EasyJet was prepared even if this summer turned out to be difficult, he said, with £5.5 billion having been raised, £2.9 billion of which was readily available. Costs had also been cut and aircraft deliveries postponed.

Post-pandemic, Lundgren said easyJet would look for growth opportunities.

“We have taken new positions at Gatwick and have 71 aircraft there. Our strategy is to have better positions at core airports and we are keeping our eyes open for that.”

easyJet is concentrating on building up its European network to the detriment of the UK.

Wizz have really turned their business into a formidable force. Although I never saw that coming I can't imagine easyjet being sold off anytime soon.

That would be an interesting about turn. easyJet bought BA's low-cost airline, Go, albeit by then it had been sold by BA in a management buyout and now BA's parent company might be buying easyJet.
Yes it would it be. Considering the size of Easyjet and especially their dominance at airports like Gatwick would interesting to see what the competition authorities would say. In the UK for instance IAG would end up dominating the UK market especially London.
Buying Easyjet though would save BA having to set up a LCC subsidiary for Gatwick.

easyJet bolsters investment in seasonal bases with five new aircraft across Malaga, Palma and Faro bases in 2022​

Even though this a Press piece primarily it does show that EasyJet have realised that they need to look for business that previously they haven't bothered with. Hard times for all the airlines and those who go out a looking for business will be rewarded or so they hope. Probably not quite as simple as that but it shows that they are trying.

It does make me wonder their strategy , from Liverpool, they have dropped a number of long standing busy routes Berlin ,Paris , Venice , Lisbon for example. Now they are looking for business :unsure:

Easyjet have removed 43 routes from sale. Most of these were for Summer 21 only but who knows if they could return in Summer 22.

Some of the UK routes that have been removed are:
Birmingham-Corfu
Birmingham-Jersey
Edinburgh-Bournemouth
Belfast-Bournemouth
Liverpool-Bournemouth
Jersey-Newcastle
Manchester-Aberdeen
Bristol-Aberdeen
Bristol-Jersey
London/Luton- Palermo.

easyJet plc Results for year ending 30 September 2021

Published today. Some headlines:

+ pre-tax loss of £1.1 billion

+ £4.4 billion of liquidity held 'providing renewed strength to capture opportunities'

+ Radical reallocation of aircraft to higher contributing bases

+ Cost base restructured

CEO Johan Lundgren commented:

“Having delivered FY’21 ahead of consensus, we have seen an encouraging start to this year with strong demand returning for peak winter holiday periods, coupled with increasing summer demand with Q422 capacity expected to be close to FY’19 levels. As the UK’s largest carrier, easyJet expects a significant benefit as the UK bounces back next summer. Our winning formula combined with the improvements made during the pandemic will accelerate our recovery."

The report was fairly upbeat but added that it was too soon "to say what impact Omicron may have on European travel and any further short-term restrictions that may result. However, we have prepared ourselves for periods of uncertainty such as this. While we’ve seen an increase in transfers with some softening of trading for Q1 it is really encouraging to see that we are still seeing good levels of new bookings for H2 and we still expect that Q4 FY’22 will see a return to near pre pandemic levels of capacity as people take their long awaited summer holidays."

easyJet is to 'pour capacity' into the UK this summer following the lifting of travel restrictions. The UK will be a 'key battleground' for airlines emerging from the pandemic.

Bookings are said to be 'surging' with easyJet deploying two-thirds of pre-pandemic seating capacity this quarter with summer 2022 seeing 'near normal' levels of seats.

easyJet's CEO said that the UK is now ahead of Europe on bookings for the first time in nearly two years. He went on to say that the airline is targeting Greece and Turkey and that Spain is also showing 'quite encouraging signs'.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock