Re: Church Fenton - Thread

I no nothing about church Fenton
Can the runway at church fenton handle the weight of a 737 or A320?

I've been unable to find the runway PCN weight restrictions.

The width of the runway is the standard 46m used by most airports around the world.

The length is 1876m

(374m shorter than Leeds Bradford's runway and 1,172m shorter than Manchester airports runways)

No great knowledge of the area but a quick look on Google Earth and it would appear a runway extension would be possible to around 2600m without too much hindrance to the local community. Any further and you'd take out much of the village or a railway line. Build another runway to the South of the existing main runway and 3048m is easily achievable. All hypothetical talk but it's much easier and cheaper building runway extensions and new runways on flat land than it is on hill tops or where you need new road alignment as at LBA or more recently at BHX.

Have just watched the following short news piece via YouTube on the reopening of the airfield.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbKG6meclM[/video]

It gives a small insight into what the future may bring, as outlined by the new owner. It all sounds very promising in adding a new dimension to aviation in the Leeds area. It seems a sensible start to me, developing a strong GA base, executive/private jet flying, and who knows what that may grow into. The scheduled european flying comment is an interesting one.

Nice little article about Sherburn (Leeds East) in the March edition of Aviation News Magazine.

I noticed that the following were all mentioned in the article: height above sea level (9M), the flat topography, rail / road access from Leeds, York, Hull etc and the ability to handle Dash 8’s and ERJ 145’s possibly for maintenance in the first instance.

I thought Church Fenton was being marketed as Leeds East, not Sherburn.
Was the article about Sherburn or Church Fenton?

Landed at East Leeds yesterday and had a look around.
Lots going on and big plans afoot according to the management of the airfield.
Runways in good condition and the Hangers are being re-furbished.
We were told they have 2 light aircraft based there and two helicopters. Very nice reception all round and a reasonable landing fee of £15 including vat.
I checked out hanger charges and they were as reported between Sherburn and Leeds prices.
Will be interesting to see how thing develop and it would be a good place to base our Aztec once it is flying again if we cannot afford the Lbia fees.

According to the Look North bulletin this morning, Leeds East Airport (change of thread name needed I think) is looking to get commercial flights to London within the next 12 months.

Right, coke and popcorn at the ready!!!

Nothing to see here Bigman, the suggestion was merely of the possibility of some kind of high end charter service to LCY on Bizjet type aircraft. A market for which is dubious on the outset given the frequent and fairly quick rail services from Leeds and York.

I think this was more about playing the media to their advantage.

Re: Leeds East Airport

Leeds only needs one airport considering the competition, but who thinks the site at Leeds East is potentially better than that at Yeadon?

You have to remember it is Leeds BRADFORD airport. So anything too far east drives passengers west!

According to the recent research considering runway lenghth , transport links , and environment
Church Fenton has potential.

I very much doubt anyone would be willing to put their hand in their pocket and invest in this as a new hub for Leeds.

Church fenton lies on flat ground to the East of Leeds. It is positioned next to the East Coast Mainline and it has a train station which serves the local village there. It's main runway is designation is 24/06 so it points more favourably into the prevailing wind. Church Fenton lies relatively close to the A1, M1 and the A64. Given a significant amount of investment there is room to develop the airfield into a major international airport comparable with Glasgow or Edinburgh airport comfortably.

That's where the positives for Church Fenton end because the airfield would need a significant amount of money to turn it into a fully fledged international airport to rival it's competitors. Arguably, Leeds Bradford airport is better positioned to the population centres and Leeds Bradford airport still has significantly more potential than is already realised.

Basically, the only way Church Fenton could be developed to rival Leeds Bradford or take Leeds Bradford airports place is by spending money from the public purse. No private company would commit to investing the sort of money which would be required to turn the airfield into a fully fledged international airport. Leeds Bradford airport requires a significant amount of money spending on it to enable it to grow further but significantly less money can be spent to achieve this.

Could there be a potential to have the Leeds East Airport Development working with Leeds Bradford for Long haul routes such as Australia, the Far East and Middle East and the Americas which LBA may not have the desirable things such as runway length ect... to be able to do so?
What would be needed at the Leeds East Airport? A rail spur connecting Leeds Railway and york to the airport, a link to connecting the East Coast mainline straight to the airport? longer runway (which can be fairly easily achieved as the area is more flat compared to LBA) and a large Terminal building? could it be used as Yorkshires Gateway Airport to the world? (all will cost a lot of money, but you have to spend money to make money.. look at the long term benefits... not the short term hurdles)
I think this would be a great opportunity for both Leeds Bradford Airport and Leeds East Airport working as partners

Yes - you have to spend money to make money -but wisely - easy to spend money and lose money - lots of it! Will DSA ever recoup the money spent, even the public money spent?

The land at the east end of the main runway belongs to a farmer and if the runway was extended it would end very close to the village of Ryther. To the West a road then further on the village of Church Fenton is right in line. So its not an easy option to extend the runway and its only 5610 ft long at present.

Of course on paper and with unlimited funds it could be a good option but there are many realities which mean this will stay a pipe dream to some.

Runways cost money, CF's will need lengthening and strengthening. Taxiways would also need to be completely overhauled and realigned.

ILS would need installing, not cheap and I would question the potential of granting full CAT on both ends due to the proximity of roads etc.

NIMBY's, yes it was an RAF base, but it has been decades since it was regularly used by jet aircraft, and even longer since it was used by fighters.. I find it hard to believe that such a development would not need to go to an expensive public enquiry.

Competitors.. DSA and LBA would kick up a huge fuss about such a proposal, and it wouldn't work if those airports are competing.. For such an airport to work it would require both airports to close and consolidation at the one. Given the amount of public funds invested into DSA (including EU objective one, which CF would not qualify for) there would be nobody interested in investing in the place.

You then must question the viability of long haul services from Yorkshire. Whilst undoubtably there is some demand, the consolidation of such services at MAN (which then generates critical mass and puts MAN in a position to attract more), I would argue is far lure viable for the M62 corridor cities..

LBA will grow to meet demand, it may even attract some long haul routes in future if demand is forthcoming.. I think CF will be nothing more than (hopefully) a theivjng GA hub which I believe this area needs..

Saturday 26th September Yorkshire Air Show.

I see the Yorkshire Air Show is back on at Leeds East Airport (Church Fenton) Aircraft due to attend are as follows.

• Vulcan Bomber XH558
• The Mighty Avro Vulcan
• Ferocious Frankie the Mustang
• Douglas DC3 Dakota (C47) C
• Meteor T7
• De Havilland Venom
• De Havilland Vampire
• Avro Anson
• Bell Huey
• Hughes Loach
• Hawker Sea Fury T-20
• VA Spitfire FR XIV
• JP-4
• Havard
• Two ship Gnats
• Bucker Jungmann
• Yak 18
• Global Stars
• Wildcat Aerobatics
• Miles Magister
• Ryan PT22
• Fokker DR1 (Tri-Plane)
• Broussard
• Comper Swift
• Aeronica Aviat
• Husky
• Arrow Active 2
• Luton Minor
• 2 Bulldogs
• Glider
• De Havilland Chipmunk
• Hunting Percival JP3

Further details and tickets for the event can be found here

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock