The problem with Edinburgh is that it already a well served trans Atlantic wise with all the US3 serving the 2 big New York airports. A lot of New Englands connection to the British Isles is through Irish immigration so Norwegian may have been better off flying from Glasgow as that has it's own Irish connection.
Plus with the pricing by the time you pay for everything a lot of the time Norwegian doesn't work out cheaper.

I just read elsewhere as well that Norwegian are blaming the delay of a tax cut they were promised for the ending of the route. I can only assume that is APD.

I just read elsewhere as well that Norwegian are blaming the delay of a tax cut they were promised for the ending of the route. I can only assume that is APD.
Almost certainly.

The Scottish Parliament had planned to replace APD with an air departure tax (ADT) from April this year but the problem is the Highlands and Islands region. Currently the Highlands and Islands airports don't have to levy APD as they claim an exemption through EU legislation because of their sparse population density.

The European Commission has to assess whether exempting Highlands and Islands airports from ADT would comply with state aid rules. The delay centres around a row as to whether the UK government should have been more proactive in the initial stages in placing the matter before the EC or whether it's a matter for the Scottish government to do. Consequently, there is a delay and APD will continue in Scotland under the auspices of the UK government until the matter is resolved.

No doubt Norwegian had anticipated operating from Scotland from April under the reduced ADT rates.

It looks like they are adding flights to their Irish routes where their is no APD.
Makes you if it will make them cautious in launching any other routes from the rest of the UK where APD isn't devolved.

Norwegian in recent schedule update made additional adjustment to Providence for summer 2018 season, effective from 25MAR18. Operated by Norwegian Air International (D8) Boeing 737 MAX 8, latest adjustment as follows.

Edinburgh – Providence Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly (Initially the airline planned to increase to 6 weekly, however this has been reversed)
D81604 EDI1710 – 1925PVD 7M8 6
D81604 EDI1715 – 1955PVD 7M8 24

D81605 PVD2125 – 0905+1EDI 7M8 6
D81605 PVD2125 – 0925+1EDI 7M8 24

Sorry EDI its not your day im afraid (n) but we all have these days from time to time.

Second US route from Edinburgh halted by Norwegian Air

Norwegian Air is to halt budget flights on the second of its three US routes from Edinburgh.

The airline again blamed air tax cuts for the decision to suspend the route to Providence, Rhode Island from October.

It halted flights between Edinburgh and Bradley in Connecticut last month.

The latest cut will leave just one of the three routes launched last June still operating - to Stewart, in New York state, north of New York City.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....m-edinburgh-halted-by-norwegian-air-1-4718373

You have to wonder, if the airline was depending on tax breaks in Scotland to make a success of these routes, how they would manage at English airports where such help is not likely to be forthcoming in the foreseeable future.

I honestly think they may have been better off operating those routes from Glasgow as there is more of an Irish connection with Glasgow than there is with Edinburgh.
You have to wonder, if the airline was depending on tax breaks in Scotland to make a success of these routes, how they would manage at English airports where such help is not likely to be forthcoming in the foreseeable future.
I believe the CEO of Norwegian has said that they have no plans for the English regions transatlantic wise and I'm assuming that means Wales. Their focus is on Gatwick.

I honestly think they may have been better off operating those routes from Glasgow as there is more of an Irish connection with Glasgow than there is with Edinburgh.

I believe the CEO of Norwegian has said that they have no plans for the English regions transatlantic wise and I'm assuming that means Wales. Their focus is on Gatwick.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Norwegian turned up eventually . CWL-SWF I imagine would be a cheap flight to operate depending on what package the Airport could offer them. Although the focus marketing wise for the next year or so will be on Qatar, that's more important to get right than chasing Norwegian.

From what I’ve seen elsewhere PVD-CRK/SNN/EDI are just being suspended for the winter. Whether they return for Summer 19 remains to be seen.

Edinburgh – Newburgh Stewart eff 28OCT18 Increase from 3 to 7 weekly
D81600 EDI1615 – 1900SWF 7M8 D
D81601 SWF2045 – 0805+1EDI 7M8 D

Source: Airlineroute

Other than wishful thinking there has never been any solid proposal to scrap APD in Scotland. Sound more like a case of they just failed in Scotland IMO

APD no doubt doesn't help their yield but i also wonder if the lack of a Premium cabin also hurts them not to mention the competition! I'd have thought the aircraft and crew will end up in Dublin.

APD no doubt doesn't help their yield but i also wonder if the lack of a Premium cabin also hurts them not to mention the competition! I'd have thought the aircraft and crew will end up in Dublin.

Or Paris, Brussels Berlin ...

Other than wishful thinking there has never been any solid proposal to scrap APD in Scotland. Sound more like a case of they just failed in Scotland IMO
When they were given the power the Scottish Government said its intention was to abolish APD but later they realised the financial burden would be too much so a 50% reduction was planned, re-named air departure tax (ADT). It was meant to commence in April this year.

However, because of technical legal issues the exemption from APD enjoyed by Highlands and Islands airports (because of the low and scattered population density) would not automatically continue with ADT until the matter was agreed with the EC. Both the UK and Scottish governments blamed each other for failure to pursue this with the EC.

Negotiations are now on-going but it does not look likely that ADT will commence in April next year which was the date pencilled in after April 18 was missed. Until the matter is settled the Westminster Government's APD will continue in Scotland, with the Highlands and Islands continuing to enjoy exemption.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock