jfy1999

Staff member
Apr 25, 2015
Birmingham/Austria
I thought I would start this thread after seeing BMW's latest scheme for powering their electric cars. They intend to have streetlights all over cities rigged with charging equipment.

Some people may think this silly or but it is a sign of how much our cities are gradually being adapted to accommodate these things.

Electric cars take more time and expenditure to produce than normal cars, and ironically their production causes more greenhouse gas emissions thanks to the various exotic materials used in the batteries.

Maybe seeking alternative fuel, not alternative power, is the way to go as some perfectly normal cars can run on vegetable oil and many electric cars are very expensive.

Also I like the idea of biofuel flights which I believe have been undertaken by Thomson from BHX before.

I think an A380 used biofuel in one engine on a test flight from Filton (no longer open as an airfield) to I think Toulouse.

On a bus route that passes close to where I live one of the buses runs on bio fuel - human waste. There are drawings of figures 'seated on the throne' along the side of the bus. It's known as the poo bus and the route it operates is the number 2.

I've not been able to confirm the rumour that if you turn up with a bucket of fuel you get a half price ride and if you've been out on the curry the night before you get a free ride.

TheLocalYokel said:
I've not been able to confirm the rumour that if you turn up with a bucket of fuel you get a half price ride and if you've been out on the curry the night before you get a free ride.

:LOL:

jfy1999 said:
Also I like the idea of biofuel flights which I believe have been undertaken by Thomson from BHX before.

It was a BHX-ACE flight.

THOMSON AIRWAYS TODAY MAKES AVIATION HISTORY WITH ITS FIRST FLIGHT FOR UK CUSTOMERS ON SUSTAINABLE BIOFUELS

Thomson Airways will today be the first UK airline to fly customers on sustainable biofuel when flight TOM 7446 takes off from Birmingham Airport to Arrecife. Carrying 232 passengers on a Boeing 757-200 it is scheduled to depart on 06th October at 14:25 HRS for the four hour flight.This landmark flight reiterates Thomson Airways’ position at the forefront of sustainable aviation. The airline already operates one of the highest load factors in the UK industry and therefore makes the most efficient use of its fleet and of the airport slots made available to it. It operates with an emission rate of 75g CO2 per passenger kilometre flown, significantly lower than average emission rates for both low cost and full service scheduled carriers.

I found the last paragraph interesting. I've not seen any follow up articles as to how it went?

Following the first UK commercial sustainable biofuels flight, there will then be a short gap before the daily operations start from early 2012 for approximately six weeks. Birmingham Airport is supporting the sustainable biofuel operation through the provision of a dedicated fuel truck, independent technical oversight and storage infrastructure. As sustainable biofuels become more commercially viable, Thomson Airways plans to expand its use of sustainable biofuels across its fleet.

TheLocalYokel said:
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/2-route-Poo-powered-bus-ready-service/story-26183969-detail/story.html

James Freeman, managing director of First West of England said: "Since its original unveiling last year the Bio-Bus has generated worldwide attention and so it's our great privilege to bring it to the city, to operate – quite rightly – on Service 2.

In a world where everyone seems to be afraid of their own shadow it's great to see there are still some out there that still have a sense of humour :D

There used to be a bus in Brighton called The Big Lemon that ran on used cooking oil! Not sure if that will ever work for planes though :-/
It does make me think about my contribution to the environment as a pilot. You hear all of this stuff about how bad flying is for global warming etc, and it makes you think doesn't it? The biofuel flights sound good, I agree.
Anyway, my wife and I decided that we would go on camping holidays from now on, to try and reduce our air pollution! We are a bit old to sleep in a tent so we have decided to hire a caravan, found this company online,https://www.campanda.com/ . I know caravan's make pollution as well but it's alot less than flying, and we used to fly to Spain for our holidays which just started to feel like one more flight to add to my list! I recycle and everything as well, but after reading alot about global warming online I have decided to try and reduce the old carbon footprint! Do any of you have any eco-friendly lifestyle tips?

I must be starting to get old as I am starting to be more environmentally conscious. We went to Spain last summer, this summer we were planning on several shorter breaks. Originally we'd planned to fly to Dublin but the prices when we wanted to go have got too expensive so we're rethinking. We've planned a trip to Center Parcs and a trip to Scarborough as well as a weekend break with the kids to Camp Katur - glamping. So all in all our carbon footprint will be much less than last year.

DfT speaks with forked tongue. The government abandoned electrification on the Great Western main line to Bristol between there Bath and west of Chippenham and in Bristol itself to save a hundred million quid or so which wouldn't even be petty cash for HS2, having already spent more than that on preparatory electrification work on the sections that won't now be electrified.

Instead Bristol and Bath will have to put up with the new bi-mode trains operating under diesel power in their areas with the resulting harmful emissions. In fact, the entire South West will have to put up with diesel power for probably decades to come. No plans are in place to electrify Somerset, Devon or Cornwall, or large parts of Dorset and Wiltshire.

And yet the government is talking about banning new diesel cars within a couple of decades. Talk about hypocrisy.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock