Pity if the airline was viable. They should have ring fenced it from the downfall of their other businesses.

I think the airline was profitable because it relied to a large extent on the the amount of business it gained from the rest of the group and was not seen as a viable stand alone business when I belive Thomas Cook tried to sell it off and or separate it from the group.

Hi there all, just read an article in the independent news from transport secretary Mr Grant Shapps, that if another airline or travel company were to experience the same again, then the government would step in on temporary measures for stability, till another buyer found, yet funny, but when Monarch collapsed, the government didn't step in, but allowed it to go under, just like Thomas Cook, so why does another airline have to go under, before any help maybe offered.

Hi there all, just read an article in the independent news from transport secretary Mr Grant Shapps, that if another airline or travel company were to experience the same again, then the government would step in on temporary measures for stability, till another buyer found, yet funny, but when Monarch collapsed, the government didn't step in, but allowed it to go under, just like Thomas Cook, so why does another airline have to go under, before any help maybe offered.
Because it's estimated that the Thomas Cook collapse will cost the government £1 billion and if you look at the airlines left many are a lot bigger than them so if they did go bust it could cost them a lot more!

They would bail out BA.

Better to dig out the interview on Radio 4 with the former MD of Thomas Cook to get to the bottom of what went wrong than the Secretary of State. Shame as the core business was strong, but they screwed how they wrote down their debt.

Extremely simple yet so poignant. I only flew with Thomas Cook on one return trip - to Fuerteventura. I did use MyTravel Airways and Airworld a few times, both of which found their way by various routes into the Thomas Cook stable.

Let's hope that many of the staff find positions with other airlines and travel companies.

This could appear on EasyJet and Jet2 thread but put it here for now. Jet2 bought additional slots at BHX although dont have any detail

Thomas Cook airport slots bought by EasyJet and Jet2

EasyJet plane

EasyJet and Jet2.com have bought all of the take-off and landing slots owned by collapsed travel firm Thomas Cook in UK airports.
The slots at London Gatwick and Bristol were bought by EasyJet for £36m, the government's liquidation service said.
Jet2.com has bought slots at Manchester, Birmingham and Stansted airports for an undisclosed amount.
Thomas Cook's UK business and airline entered insolvency in September, when a court appointed an official receiver.
EasyJet bought 12 summer take-off and landing slots, called pairs, at Gatwick and eight winter slot pairs.
It also bought six summer slot pairs and one winter slot pair at Bristol.
The slots will expand the airline's presence at each airport.

Last month, the receiver sold all 555 Thomas Cook retail outlets to Hays Travel, saving up to 2,500 jobs.
The independent travel agent said the move gave it shops in areas where it had little or no presence, including Scotland and Wales.
Thomas Cook's Condor airline in Germany was rescued with the help of a loan from the German government.
Its Nordic business was bought last month by Norwegian billionaire Petter Stordalen and private equity firms Altor and TDR Capital.
Stordalen's Strawberry group and Altor took a 40% stake, with TDR Capital buying the remaining 20%.
The deal for Thomas Cook Northern Europe saved 2,300 jobs.

Thomas Cook are back, well the name as a travel agent is.

From Birmingham they have Kefalonia, Corfu, Kos and Rhodes in Greece along with destinations in Turkey and Cyprus all with TUi flights. Dublin is also available with Aer Lingus and holidays in Italy with easyjet flights to Naples.

It's just a shame that we don't have more from easyjet as they are offering Rome, Venice and Reykjavik from BRS :(

Yes it's great to see the name resurrected. It will still have a decent amount of positive brand awareness even if it's by a different parent company. It's just a shame they're now faced with Covid-19. I hope they can make it work.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock