Random Stuff!

Advertisement

Ianbutty

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2016
Essex
The good news about the HS2 review is that ideas such as this are being tabled. What a sham...sorry, shame....that we have not had a national intercity transport strategy. A figure of 8 of high speed rail: London to Bristol/Cardiff. Bristol and Cardiff to Brum. Brum to Glasgow with stop off at the villages along the way. Glasgow to Edinburgh or Newcastle. Newcastle to Brum stopping of the Yorkshire somewhere. Brum to London. Sorted. Oh and Essex to Alsace.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
The good news about the HS2 review is that ideas such as this are being tabled. What a sham...sorry, shame....that we have not had a national intercity transport strategy. A figure of 8 of high speed rail: London to Bristol/Cardiff. Bristol and Cardiff to Brum. Brum to Glasgow with stop off at the villages along the way. Glasgow to Edinburgh or Newcastle. Newcastle to Brum stopping of the Yorkshire somewhere. Brum to London. Sorted. Oh and Essex to Alsace.
A lovely thought but in the entire South West we don't even have electric trains. The largest city, Bristol, is all diesel except for the newly-electrified London-Cardiff route that passes just to the north of Bristol.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
Is it early April or just the media having done their in depth research before informing the nation of the facts?

JENNYJET

Premium Member Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
I never watch morning 'BREAKFAST' type programmes, too lightweight for my patience to bear! Inaccurate reporting I can work around but a cheery chappie wanting to be my friend is intolerable when I am dealing with life maintenance medication. I am a bit of a monster until the drugs start working, usually around 5pm.

I am sure we will be informed in good time that it is no longer possible to fly direct to NEW YORK from Birmingham.

Ianbutty

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2016
Essex
Anyone catch Midlands news this morning on Breakfast? If not the you should be aware that all British Airways flights from Birmingham have been cancelled today - well that’s a large loss of traffic!!!!
I saw that. Even though I live in Essex I watch the Midlands news where I can to keep in touch. More misinformation like that and I won't bother. Can't blame the newsreader who appeared to doubt what she said as she finished saying it.

IanFarquharson

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2015
Balsall Common
bhxmovements.blogspot.co.uk
Flying Jet 2 BHX-TFS in a couple of weeks I have been with them before and I cannot recall paying the extra to sit together / choose seats and pretty sure we have always got 4 seats together.
They are trying to sell me the option this time at £9 per seat which ramps up to £72 for 4 pax 2 flights !
Dilemma - do I risk it again and not pay ?
Anyone experienced any issues of being split up because they have not paid the extra ?

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
As we travel with the kids I always book seats, it definitely adds up though.

I memory serves I think Jet2 online check in opens 28 days before the flight, I'd be doing it as soon as it becomes available.

Is it worth checking the seat maps for the day you go to see how the seats are filling up and what is available?

big vern

Nov 24, 2015
Flying Jet 2 BHX-TFS in a couple of weeks I have been with them before and I cannot recall paying the extra to sit together / choose seats and pretty sure we have always got 4 seats together.
They are trying to sell me the option this time at £9 per seat which ramps up to £72 for 4 pax 2 flights !
Dilemma - do I risk it again and not pay ?
Anyone experienced any issues of being split up because they have not paid the extra ?
When I went to krakow I didnt pre book seats and thought I would choose seats at the online check in. Going out we sat together but coming back no mater what seats I selected they would not sit us together only C and D seats even though there were blocks of empty seats.
I went on the web chat to ask why i couldnt select a pair of the many unbooked seats and they came up with B/S of the booking engine selected the next 2 available seats from the middle of the aircraft, but no matter how many times i tried to select different seats around the aircraft it always selected seats apart and said we had to pay to sit together, funnily enough the couple in front of us were also in front of us on the way out who also had C and D seats inbound but sat together outbound
At the same time I had read on the news that the CAA were looking into airline booking system algorithms that purposely split passengers up so they would have to pay to sit together, I mentioned this to the agent during the convesation who denied it but by some strange coincidence the EF seats next to me on the return sector were both empty with the aircraft nearly full so me and er indoors did sit together in the end.

JENNYJET

Premium Member Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Just a note to inform anyone interested, Freeview Ch 30, 5Star 9pm Wednesday, Phuket airport gets a reality tv treatment. The channel 5 stable have been good recently with aviation stuff with Secrets of the Royal Flight coming up on 5 Friday night 9.15pm.

GliderPilot

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2017
England
pretty strong evidence from Alex Mach-eras on twitter that TCX has already gone under

See attached tweet

Tweet

There is some rather sceptical people in the comments to his thread of tweets, therefore I am not going to say for sure until an official press release, but its not looking good...

big vern

Nov 24, 2015
pretty strong evidence from Alex Mach-eras on twitter that TCX has already gone under

See attached tweet

Tweet

There is some rather sceptical people in the comments to his thread of tweets, therefore I am not going to say for sure until an official press release, but its not looking good...
I doubt if anything has been said yet, it will be early in the morning. When monarch went under the CEO and co new on the friday ( he registered a consultancy company also on the friday) but they kept it secret until the last aircraft landed on monday morning before announcing the enevitable.

GliderPilot

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2017
England
similarly with Monarch however there was leaks from different aspects of the industry of the news, people chose to dismiss it as speculation but when the news came it was of the airlines demise

by no stretch am i saying that its for certain that is going on right now, but its looking more and more likely

its really sad

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
I feel like a rant.

So in a week that most people are hoping will come to an end pretty quickly regarding BHX, not only does our airport not match our cities status but now it is creating issues for development in the city with its stupid high rise policy. You couldn't make it up.

One Eastside | James Watt Queensway | Residential | 51/15fl | 155/51m | Prop

Goes to committee on the 10th

Quote:
7. Conclusion
7.1. The proposal would provide a well-designed tower development and result in a high quality brownfield development on a prominent and sustainable City Centre location in accordance with the aims and objectives of both local and national planning policy. Issues raised by objections have been appraised, and on balance, the wider benefits of the scheme would outweigh any potential impacts. Therefore subject to the signing of the S106 agreement, the proposal should be approved.

8. Recommendation
8.1. That consideration of planning application 2019/04239/PA be deferred pending the removal of Birmingham Airport’s objection.
8.2 If insufficient information is submitted to remove Birmingham Airport’s objection then the application be refused for the following reason:
a) Insufficient information has been submitted to demonstrate that the cranes needed to construct the development would not adversely impact on aviation safety contrary to High Places SPG and NPPF.
8.3 That consideration of planning application 2019/04239/PA be deferred pending the completion of a planning obligation agreement to secure the following:
a) 20 one and two bed Affordable Private Rent units. The provision of these units shall be split 50/50 and pepper potted across the site. 50% of the units shall be provided by first occupation, with the remaining 50% provided by 75% occupancy. The rental cost of these units shall be retained at 20% below local market value in perpetuity.
b) A mechanism to secure a review of the financial appraisal/contribution should the development change from a PRS scheme to market sale.
c) Payment of a monitoring and administration fee associated with the legal
agreement of £10,000.
Objections:

Quote:
Birmingham Airport – Object as the information does not assess the impact of the towers or the cranes on the safeguarding zone of the formalised flightpath.

Top Bottom