DarloPlaneBoy

Oct 9, 2018
Darlaston/Wednesbury Border
Generally known as 'smog'. It's been responsible for many thousands of deaths in the 1950's and 1960's (due to breathing difficulties), until the introduction of smoke free coal.

On a different note, I remember many years ago, being in the viewing lounge at BHX on bonfire night. There was a Lufthansa flight on approach and I was listening in on my radio. I remember the pilot asking in a heavy German accent 'vhat are all zees fires ve are seeing?'

Kevin
Haha classic Yeah Smog still looks it a bit today the Smog on Sunday Morning was thick Could barely see lights of Moxley or High rose

wolfheze

Dec 26, 2015
Have found an old photograph from 1975 but despite deleting all my past pictures ( or at least I think I have) still can't upload it. Any ideas?
Post automatically merged:

Regarding the fog I grew up in the late sixties/seventies in a village about 5 miles from the airport. Our house was brand new but was still built with an open fireplace. In winter the fog or smog would sometimes be that dense that you literally couldn't see an outstretched hand and when you got home your clothes would smell of smoke. We were normally out on our pushbikes if not at the airport and only got around because we were so familiar with our surroundings. Listening to surveillance radar approaches on the radio was quite a tense experience, if they got down on a 33 approach you'd just be able to hear the thrust reversers, if they didn't and had to go around or overshoot as it tended to be called back then you'd hear the engines spool up to full power.
With central heating now largely replacing coal fires and possibly climate change playing a part those 'peasoupers' are largely a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Kevin Farnell

Staff member
Watching the Germany v Japan game, I noticed a lone flag draped over a wall on the opposite side of the stadium from the TV cameras. It took me a while to be sure, but it says 'WALSALL FC' on it. I've seen Walsall play at home, many, many times but I had never seen this flag. I found it after a short web search -

c1a9fa87064f41e2640f1cfb1500e41e368dcfdc_2_1024x575.jpeg

Credit: Up The Saddlers forum

Great to see Walsall represented in Qatar.

Kevin

Kevin Farnell

Staff member
Surely, that's Spain. So probably the Spain v Costa Rica game not Germany v Japan.

Kevin

I think there may be more to the WALSALL FC flag than first realised. It is basically the old Persian flag (pre Iranian Islamic revolution) that is being used by the protestors in Iran. I wont say any more on it, so as not to drag F4A into political problems.

Kevin

Last edited:

Vile8er

Nov 30, 2014
Surely, that's Spain. So probably the Spain v Costa Rica game not Germany v Japan.

Kevin

I think there may be more to the WALSALL FC flag than first realised. It is basically the old Persian flag (pre Iranian Islamic revolution) that is being used by the protestors in Iran. I wont say any more on it, so as not to drag F4A into political problems.

Kevin
Ooops you are correct. My bad

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.