What I am failing to understand is if quarantine is to last for “14 Days” why are things expected to be closed for 6 Months? I know it’s worst case scenario Isn’t that a bit to extreme? I understand 1 month or maybe 2 but 6 is a bit to OTT. It’s sad that in our that technically advanced world can come to a completely stand still over something so small and temporary it’s scary. In good news now China has managed to pretty much almost get rid majority of COVID19 by 2 months as no new cases have come up. If we can survive SARS back in 2003 (I was 4 years old) and Swine Flu in 2009 we survive COVID19 and I really hope things get better by the end of April.

This image by LTNman shows what Luton Airport (normally packed to the gills) looked like the other day.

jzEBRzg.jpg

On the positive side for planet earth, pollution has been reduced by 50%. What also amazed me is that the canals in venice have become crystal clear and you can now see little fishes swimming in the water becouse there is no pollution or tourists. It does get you thinking.

It must also be strange for people living next to airports with no or very little aircraft activity.

Very true regarding people living near airports, and particularly flight paths such as myself. The airport gets quieter by the day. It seemed busier on Christmas day!. So strange!

Compost them, or dig a small pit if you have a garden, and bury what cannot easily breakdown in water. Burning them would irritate the neighbourhood.

Without going into too much explicit detail, when I was growing up in the 1950s we lived in a cottage in the country with no mains sewers. We had what we called a 'bucket lavatory' with the 'produce' having to be buried in the garden after every event. Fortunately, we had a very large garden and the self-service compost led to excellent vegetable production. Incidentally, the toilet paper, sometimes in the form of cut-up newspapers (no kidding), was buried alongside the waste.
It must also be strange for people living next to airports with no or very little aircraft activity.
The cottage I mentioned in my reply to JENNYJET above was next to the A38 which in those days was the main route for traffic between the North and Midlands and the further South West. Our cottage was situated where the A38 climbs a long hill (Redhill) just to the south of what is now Bristol Airport.

All night long lorries would grind up the hill noisily changing gear in the process - the lorries of the 1950s were often pre-war models and extremely noisy, with 'double de-clutching' (two depressions of the clutch pedal via neutral in time with moving the gear lever twice) invariably required, with revs having to be synchronised to meet the lower gear selected.

We quickly got used to the lorry noise and if we went on holiday sometimes found sleeping difficult as it was quiet. The same might apply to some who live near airports.

What I am failing to understand is if quarantine is to last for “14 Days” why are things expected to be closed for 6 Months? I know it’s worst case scenario Isn’t that a bit to extreme? I understand 1 month or maybe 2 but 6 is a bit to OTT. It’s sad that in our that technically advanced world can come to a completely stand still over something so small and temporary it’s scary. In good news now China has managed to pretty much almost get rid majority of COVID19 by 2 months as no new cases have come up. If we can survive SARS back in 2003 (I was 4 years old) and Swine Flu in 2009 we survive COVID19 and I really hope things get better by the end of April.
This virus is the new Spanish Flu. China is not out of the woods. New cases are increasing as people return from abroad, Europe in particular. And there will most likely be another epidemic later in the year.

Until we either have a vaccine or herd immunity, punitive and Draconian measures will remain in place.

Through cooperation governments are now basically printing money. A collaborative effort should minimise the threat of inflation and support businesses. A recession is inevitable.

Humans are puny compared with the environment and the environment will always win. This is a wake up call and it will be interesting to see at what lower level of transport, and economic activity we reach and what that level will mean for bringing the temperature down to within targeted limits.

What has happened in Italy proves how dangerous this virus is.

Worrying times not helped by the morons on ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- spreading crap and alarm for a sick kick. Mark Puckerberg should be forced to shut it down.

Keep safe and healthy.

Just watching the BBC news, I see journalists doing outside broadcasts seemingly in ignorance of public safety, interviewing people for the story. My blood pressure cannot take much more of this

To be fair I saw an interview on the BBC yesterday and the reporter was deliberately standing 2 meters away from the person they were interviewing.

The normal panel on Question Time was also gone in favour of panelists sitting at least 2 meters apart.

The 14 days to self isolate was originally if you'd just returned from an infected region e.g. China or Northern Italy. The 14 days was to give time for any symptoms to develop at which point you would self isolate until you were over the virus.

What is currently unknown is how long someone remains contagious after they've "recovered" from Covid-19. The concern about going into lockdown is that whilst we're under lockdown the number of cases will reduce, maybe even to zero, but once the lockdown ended and we all go back to our normal lives, the virus would continue to be spread.

The number of cases in China has greatly reduced, with the only new cases being people coming in from outside the country. China still is largely under lockdown, so I imagine every other country will be keeping a keen eye on what China does next, and what impact lifting the restrictions there will have.

I work in a large secondary school over in Knowle, and to go from 1800 students plus staff, to then being at home seems very unreal. I keep thinking that unless you are actually seeing things in hospital or know a sick person, it seems like everyone is going about this as normal.

School was extremely 'buzzing' and some teachers upset. It's a real bizarre scenario. I do think that we might see full lock down if numbers get worse.

I work in a large secondary school over in Knowle, and to go from 1800 students plus staff, to then being at home seems very unreal. I keep thinking that unless you are actually seeing things in hospital or know a sick person, it seems like everyone is going about this as normal.

School was extremely 'buzzing' and some teachers upset. It's a real bizarre scenario. I do think that we might see full lock down if numbers get worse.

My wife's school is staying open to look after the children of key workers.

A huge part of me wants to tell her to stay at home and not put herself or our family at risk but then I think about how I'd feel if (God forbid) any of us got ill and a nurse or doctor wasn't there to help as they were stuck at home with the kids.

So many very difficult decisions are being made right now :(

My wife's school is staying open to look after the children of key workers.

A huge part of me wants to tell her to stay at home and not put herself or our family at risk but then I think about how I'd feel if (God forbid) any of us got ill and a nurse or doctor wasn't there to help as they were stuck at home with the kids.

So many very difficult decisions are being made right now :(
Ours too...we have volunteered for those of key workers. I feel strongly to play my part. Lots have volunteered over Easter also.

Ours too...we have volunteered for those of key workers. I feel strongly to play my part. Lots have volunteered over Easter also.
I am still going into work. Most staff working from home. Local government must be kept going so no let up. Fortunately I have my own office to self isolate in. I am thinking of getting a cheap kettle for company, though.

All very worrying and upsetting. Not sure if it is for real and I will soon wake up and know it is a bad dream.

We are home educating the kids. Eldest is at secondary school and 'attends' online lessons. The youngest has come home with workbooks, online tools and loads of ideas so he will have a full school day with those. It is so important that they keep learning otherwise they will go backwards and bonkers. So tough on them.

I am still going into work. Most staff working from home. Local government must be kept going so no let up. Fortunately I have my own office to self isolate in. I am thinking of getting a cheap kettle for company, though.

All very worrying and upsetting. Not sure if it is for real and I will soon wake up and know it is a bad dream.

We are home educating the kids. Eldest is at secondary school and 'attends' online lessons. The youngest has come home with workbooks, online tools and loads of ideas so he will have a full school day with those. It is so important that they keep learning otherwise they will go backwards and bonkers. So tough on them.
Sounds like you have the kids doing the right thing. As a teacher we are all trying really hard to set work. You are right though, it's so tough for them. They need to routine and it looks like they have that.

You and every other teacher out there preparing to work through this have my utmost respect.

Looking after the kids of front line healthcare workers presents challenges in itself. Those workers have maximum exposure to this disease and as children are reportedly the most likely category to be asymptomatic, the potential for unknowing onward transmission from those kids must be greatly increased.

As I say to my wife every morning.......please do whatever it takes to stay safe.

The Coronavirus bill that is going through Parliament has provision to force the closure of airports to passengers for the safety of the population, if a risk has been identified. Schedule 19 of the bill refers to Border Force being able to sufficiently provide cover at any relevant port, interpretation of this being any port of entry requiring the presence of immigration and/or customs, land, sea or air, may be closed.

Things continue as is, nothing but cargo will be able to move. I expect amendments to include closure of motorways to private vehicles. This is wartime style management of crises, new territory for most of us.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock