50 Black Country/Brummie sayings

How many do you know?
For me, its easier to to list the ones I'm not familiar with -

5. Scrage
13.Noggy
22. Back of Rackhams
24. Rocks (we would say 'a bag 'o' suck')
29. Oil Tot
33. Ackers
36. A face as long as livery street
41. Deaf it
42. Got a bob on
44. I know as 'This wo get the babby a new frock'

All of the rest, I heard regularly growing up in the Black Country.

Kevin

Also the ones that I don't know.

6. Fittle

11. 'Never in a rain of pigs pudding'

13. noggy

21. The Cut

26. bobowler

27. Fizzog

31. Keep out th’ossroad

33. Ackers - The only 'Ackers' I know of is in Small Heath.

35. You'll 'ave it dark

38. 'Well, go to the foot of our stairs!'

44. 'This ain’t gettin the babby a frock and pinny'

45. Chobbling

47. Riling

48. Slummocking

I found this review of Birmingham New Street Station on YouTube.

I remember a funny story from New Street. My two Grans and my Great Gran were going on a world cruise, so my family and my cousin's family went with them to New Street to see them off on the first stage of their journey to Southampton (we had platform tickets). I, being only around 7 years old had been given a sandwich containing cucumber. I didn't like cucumber at that age and picked it out and threw it on the track. It landed directly on the rail. As the train arrived, I noticed steam coming from one of the boxes under the carriages and was terrified that my slice of cucumber had done something terrible to the train.

Kevin

Last edited:
As a neutral football supporter who only wants the best for Brum.

Well done to the Villa for keeping the city in the Premier League, well done lads. We now have x 3 local teams in the top league.

As for the other team up the big hill going nowhere fast, MUST TRY HARDER. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reading and watching the coverage of the news concerning issues with Commonwealth Games and athletes accommodation being ditched. Was it political or medical reasons? Too soon to say until either the games are withdrawn from Birmingham or delayed as are the Olympics. A lot of passing of parcels or interference into the building of infrastructure comes to mind as with the delay in the confirmation that Birmingham would host the event, meaning the lead time was reduced.

I look forward to a sensible report via BBC or another outlet before coming to judgment, however one is extremely irritated that Birmingham will potentially be looked upon as a basket case never again to be trusted with a major event.

Reading and watching the coverage of the news concerning issues with Commonwealth Games and athletes accommodation being ditched. Was it political or medical reasons? Too soon to say until either the games are withdrawn from Birmingham or delayed as are the Olympics. A lot of passing of parcels or interference into the building of infrastructure comes to mind as with the delay in the confirmation that Birmingham would host the event, meaning the lead time was reduced.

I look forward to a sensible report via BBC or another outlet before coming to judgment, however one is extremely irritated that Birmingham will potentially be looked upon as a basket case never again to be trusted with a major event.

And what do we expect from Birmingham City Council, they are a bunch of incompetent councillors who run this city more akin to a Vicar of Dibley parish council. They are blaming Covid of course, however I was told they were well behind schedule in December last year which was well before the pandemic hit these shores.

As you say its a bit embarrassing for the city, however Perry Barr still gets its makeover so good for this part of the city.

As a champion of this city, this makes me sad :(

BrumX is spot on with this news. I recall late last year reports of how far behind work was on the competitors village and concerns about it being ready in time. It's typical of Ian Ward to make excuses for incompetence in Birmingham City Council, but to blame Covid-19 really takes the biscuit. He must think we don't remember that far back. How wrong can you be?.

I miss being resident in the city but I also feel the worst is to come, and as the weather here is rapidly tearing my area apart, I hope something can be salvaged as any games events needs an athletes village.

I miss being resident in the city but I also feel the worst is to come, and as the weather here is rapidly tearing my area apart, I hope something can be salvaged as any games events needs an athletes village.

A positive that could come out of this drama is that a lot of the athletes will be put up at Birmingham university and what a fantastic backdrop for Brum with Big Joe looming in the background with all the new towers on the city skyline. Sorry Perry Barr but you don't have the same appeal, lol.

Trying to make a positive out of a bad situation folks :unsure:

A positive that could come out of this drama is that a lot of the athletes will be put up at Birmingham university and what a fantastic backdrop for Brum with Big Joe looming in the background with all the new towers on the city skyline. Sorry Perry Barr but you don't have the same appeal, lol.

Trying to make a positive out of a bad situation folks :unsure:

Apart from the negative headlines feeding those who love nothing more than to give Birmingham a good kicking I can't see the problem. There couldn't be a better media setting than the grounds of Birmingham University and I'm reliably informed that Warwick Uni isn't half bad either. From the right angles even the NEC can look pretty spectacular with Pendigo Lake and Resorts World forming the backdrop. Perry Barr, One Stop and the A34 just cannot compete :)

I just hope that the athletes are accommodated close to where their events are happening as excessively long journey times could make for some very bad headlines.

Welcome to Birmingham :)

1597437971940.jpeg

1597437996426.jpeg

images

All pictures from Google Images with full credit to whoever took them.

Apart from the negative headlines feeding those who love nothing more than to give Birmingham a good kicking I can't see the problem. There couldn't be a better media setting than the grounds of Birmingham University and I'm reliably informed that Warwick Uni isn't half bad either. From the right angles even the NEC can look pretty spectacular with Pendigo Lake and Resorts World forming the backdrop. Perry Barr and the A34 just cannot compete :)

I just hope that the athletes are accommodated close to where their events are happening as excessively long journey times could make for some very bad headlines.

And let's hope and pray that University station is completed on time as there is currently no activity on site at all, this would be the final nail in the coffin if this is cancelled or not built on time ? :unsure:

And let's hope and pray that University station is completed on time as there is currently no activity on site at all, this would be the final nail in the coffin if this is cancelled or not built on time ? :unsure:

There's always one spanner in the works :nailbiting:

If memory is functional, University Station is geared to serve the medical side of the campus although walkways link to all parts and shuttle buses were available. I spent a while there and agree it is quite a place to be. A proper University and one feels it every time I go back.

Just a bid to those interested.

a formation of thunderstorms have formed in Worcestershire and is moving slowly ENE and a larger group is over East England moving same direction, according to Met Office radar, South Birmingham is affected. Given humidity is currently 77% suggesting large amounts of rainfall.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock