Random Stuff!

Advertisement

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
interesting analysis lbaspotter and thanks for the work you have put in to arrive at your conclusions. However, given the state of airline changes which we all expect, I feel that a 10 year period is too long to show be significant. Airlines start and drop routes regularly and we always find that many routes that are dropped re-appear again not too long after they have been dropped due to the particular airline having a change of heart or, I'm thinking Ryan in particular here, of squeezing a better deal from one of the airports concerned.

But good work anway and thanks one again for highlighting the chop and change world of aviation which doesn't just apply to LBA.

twevsmiff

Platinum Member
May 9, 2014

A Ukraine International Boeing 737/800 has crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport killiong all on board.

The aircraft involved is UR-PSR, which is registered as a Boeing 737/800NG/MAX and is only 3 years old.
The word "MAX" sends out alarm bells.

Last edited:

Bigman

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
I bit suspicious that one if you ask me...what with all these missile strikes going on. UR-PSR is an NG and was delivered in July 2016. Wouldn't be the first newish 737NG to go down. Wasn't it a relatively new Pegasus one that went down at Schiphol a few years ago?

Tarn Spotter

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2012
Whilst we must await the facts of this crash, to say the NG version is free from faults may not be correct.
The MAX investigation is revealing the flaws with this aircraft, one of which also relates to the NG version as the same concept.
The FAA last week identified additional potentially flaws in the MAX relating to a possible short circuit in the wiring bundles in the tail of the aircraft, the same wiring complex is also found in the NG version.
Add in that investigation by CFM International has revealed a possible weakness in an internal rotor, in the engines that can shatter and Boeing has advised the FAA that a manufacturing problem on the MAX has made the planes engines vulnerable to a lightening strike.
The FAA also no longer agrees with Boeing that pilots can move from the NG to the MAX version without additional flight simulator experience.
These problems are totally unrelated to the cause of the two MAX crashes, but certainly in respect of the wiring bundles a full check of every NG and Max aircraft will be required and the FAA must wonder what still may be missed.
We must be near a redesign of the MAX, before its allowed back in service and the FAA must never again allow a manufacturer to take control, certainly The New York Times has been told by a reliable source that the wiring upgrade alone of the NG and MAX will be a huge repair job and the FAA must decide soon with the NG what measures must be implemented on the tail wiring.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
I have seen loads of posts on social media today speculating as to the cause of the tragedy of the Ukraine International Boeing 737-800NG, UR-PSR which crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport this morning and in doing so killing all those onboard.
Anybody who claims to know the cause is lying and at this stage connecting it to any other event is nothing more than speculation. Please do not fuel the rumours, instead wait for facts!

Last edited:

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
I have seen loads of posts on social media today speculating as to the cause of the tragedy of the Ukraine International Boeing 737-800NG, UR-PSR which crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport this morning and in doing so killing all those onboard.
Anybody who claims to know the cause is lying and at this stage connecting it to any other event is nothing more than speculation. Please do not fuel the rumours, instead wait for facts!
I agree. By international Convention Iran is the lead investigative agency in this, with Ukraine as the state of registry having the right to send observers. Normally the state of manufacture is also permitted to have a presence at the investigation but, given the current situation between Iran and the USA, it will be interesting to see how much access if any Boeing is given.

An Iran-led investigation is always going to cause dissatisfaction amongst some people, especially in the current geopolitical climate, but let's wait to see what they come up with.

Len Fish

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Batley
Makes me wonder, given the fine tooth comb inspection the Max is undergoing, how many other types of aircraft, both Boeing and Airbus, would be found to be “faulty” if subjected to the same in depth scrutiny.

Len Fish

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Batley
Further info. on the test:
The CAA has powers under the Civil Aviation Act 2012 to license airport operators that pass a market power test.
This test consists of three parts:
a) that the airport operator has, or is likely to acquire, substantial market power in a market, either alone or taken with other such persons as the CAA considers appropriate
b) that competition law does not provide sufficient protection against the risk that the airport operator may engage in conduct that results in an abuse of the substantial market power
c) that, for users of air transport services, the benefits of regulating the airport operator by means of a licence are likely to outweigh the adverse effects

Len Fish

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Batley
I once worked with a lad who had a Triumph Spitfire and he drove me on work business to the Yorkshire Dales. At over 6 foot tall you can imagine the lack of space and getting out of it was a nightmare, with it being so low down I virtually had to roll out sideways onto the ground. Plus my back has never been the same since (did they actually have a suspension?)Oh, and did I mention that the hood leaked!:)

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Im over 6ft and my first car was an R reg Spitfire. Loved it. Im thinking of getting another one once I finish my current restoration project.

Top Bottom