Random Stuff!

Advertisement

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Does anyone have the april LBA total passenger figures! :nailbiting: :cry:
It isn't on the CAA website yet. As TLY would tell you, it would have been before they updated their system 3 years ago. I doubt if they will be available for a week at least.
Still waiting for March's CAA figures for these airports: Aberdeen, Bournemouth, Bristol, Glasgow, Guernsey, London City, Southampton and Southend.

twevsmiff

Platinum Member
May 9, 2014

The Red Arrows will be staying in Lincolnshire when their current base at Scampton closes. They are moving to Waddington

rip

Jan 28, 2009
LINCOLN
The RAF/MOD must have had a change of parameters because the last time The Red Arrows were moved from RAF Scampton they couldn't go to RAF Waddington because it was an operational station unlike RAF Cranwell which was and still is a training station.
One other point which hasn't been addressed is where will they carry out their training, when they were moved last time they had to fly back to RAF Scamptonand use its airspace because RAF Cranwell couldn't accommodate them neither could RAF Waddington because WADDO was and still is an operational station.
I am pleased they are staying in Lincoln but rather they had stayed at RAF Scampton as i only live 2 miles away

paully

Premium Member
Subscriber
Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
There`s a shortage of housing at Waddo but if they get red of the Red Arrows from Scampton the MOD Can flog it off...at a pittance as they normally do. Cranwell would have been ideal but there are plans to relocate all training there from Halton, as well as diverse units like CAM (Centre for Aviation Medicine) from Henlow as well. Plans bogged down due to a lack of forethought, at present. As soon as they close Scampton they`ll realise they needed it.
Wittering would have been adaptable but they`ve turned it into a truck park!!..

rip

Jan 28, 2009
LINCOLN
The MOD Im afraid do not own any housing as it was all sold off to a private company in the 1990s, 90% of the homes at Scampton are in private hands. A few years ago a large Strike Command unit was due to move in, a lot of money was spent on the station before it was dropped because of this policy, they wasn't enough married accommodation available on camp
If any of the quarters at Waddo are sold to private buyers I'm afraid the MOD or Government will see a penny.
I agree RAF Wittering would have been better but they may have had the same problem with the motorists on the A1 rubber necking as they had when the Harriers arrived there in the 70s

paully

Premium Member
Subscriber
Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
The selling off of the housing was a scandal that never made the headlines..My son and his family are presently living in MOD property so yes the MOD will only get what the airfield is worth. On the other hand Leeming has spare capacity and unlike Wittering is still maintained, and sometimes used, for operations.

rip

Jan 28, 2009
LINCOLN
I don't know about RAF Leeming now but in the mid 70s I went on detachment with 617 sqn (vulcans) there and a few years later RAF Leeming and RAF Scampton swopped commands and 617 ended up there permanently with the tornado
As for the selling of the houses yes it was a scandal

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
My only memory of Leeming was staying there for a couple of weeks in the mid 60's on a course (non RAF). I recall the grub in the officers mess was very palatable indeed. Don't remember too much else though.
On the question of MOD accommodation our friends at Brize still had houses on camp in the late 90's as I used to send one of my instructors there quite frequently. Most of the time he would stay in a pub not a million miles away but there was once when nothing was available and I had to ask for accommodation on camp for him. He wasn't impressed however.

fight2win

Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
14 day quarantine period on all returning passengers from abroad to be introduced from 8th june! so a 2 week holiday abroad will require 4 weeks off work plus all the extra hassle of giving boarder force your contact details inc address and tel number to track your where abouts.
Guess this will pretty much end all air travel until restrictions are lifted! :cry:

fight2win

Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
I've stopped watching the news. It's just too depressing. Until the R rate goes down we will be stuck like this.
Im always one for watching the news (usually to have a laugh at the poor bbc coverage) but like yourself ive stopped watching the news myself with this virus. Its just the same depressing news everyday which usually consists of the daily death count, another biz gone bust and a load of so called experts talking on webcams! we are about two weeks into the slight easing of the lockdown so it will be interesting to see what happens to the R rate and the infection rate is over the next week, if it goes down that's a good sign.
Its just unbelievable whats happened this year, who would have thought all this would of happened!

paully

Premium Member
Subscriber
Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
My own opinion on this quarantine is that it is for a very limited period and I agree with Heather that a restart date around early July is very likely. As for Shearings, its actually the parent company that has gone bust. Shearings and National were profitable so they will rise from the ashes. What this virus is showing up is just how these companies have worked. Buy everything up on cheap money, load the firm with debt and use new bookings money to fund the day to day activities. Nothing in the bank, nothing for a rainy day, just maximise the profits to feed the share price. It might herald a new beginning.
Jet2, on the other hand, worked to a rainy day principle....and it shows..

Just don`t get me started on the media or we`ll be here all day!!

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
The aviation industry at least should be well aware of rainy days. It's part and parcel of this cut throat industry. So while some airlines take the necessary precautions, others don't and we know what happens to them.

ls27

Aug 19, 2009
Gildersome
I have been watching a Dr John Campbell on the Internet for a while now. He gives good common sense in what is going on. Yesterday he gave a talk about the lock down. He said that if we had worn face masks as a population we wouldn't need a lock down as wearing one was just as effective as staying in. Cheaper and not as damaging to the economy.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
If you think about it the aviation industry is a sort of giant ponzi scheme where we as the customers pay a deposit maybe a year ahead and then are required to pay in full maybe 8 weeks or more in the expectation of receiving the product we want in the hope enough other people will buy the same thing as us.

When the rainy day comes and it's p*****g down now theres a distinct lack of umbrellas.

Top Bottom