A Russian passenger jet flew into a flock of birds then crash-landed in a cornfield just outside a Moscow airport Thursday, according to Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency.

The Ural Airlines Airbus A321 was carrying 226 passengers and a crew of seven from Moscow's Zhukovsky airport to Simferopol -- a city on the Crimean Peninsula -- when it ran into trouble.

Shortly after takeoff, the plane "collided with a flock of gulls," according a statement from the agency.
Some of the birds were sucked into its engines, it added.

Emergency services assist at the scene on Thursday.

The emergency landing took place in a field less than a kilometer (0.62 miles) away from the airport's runway.

Videos posted to social media show the passengers of flight U6178 evacuating from the plane and making a path through the field.
In one video, a female passenger walking through the tall green stalks can be heard saying "second birth," noting that she was lucky to just be alive.

Pilot Damir Yusupov, 41, and co-pilot Georgy Murzin, 23, were praised by the airline for their professionalism in difficult circumstances.
"Precisely due to their professionalism, self-possession and coordinated actions (they) managed to land a plane without tragic consequences," a Ural Airlines statement said.

Read more

A miraculous escape for these lucky passengers. Although it's not something anybody would want to experience it's good to know the airbus range is proving very trustworthy in this kind of event.

A Russian passenger jet flew into a flock of birds then crash-landed in a cornfield just outside a Moscow airport Thursday, according to Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency.

The Ural Airlines Airbus A321 was carrying 226 passengers and a crew of seven from Moscow's Zhukovsky airport to Simferopol -- a city on the Crimean Peninsula -- when it ran into trouble.

Shortly after takeoff, the plane "collided with a flock of gulls," according a statement from the agency.
Some of the birds were sucked into its engines, it added.

The emergency landing took place in a field less than a kilometer (0.62 miles) away from the airport's runway.

Videos posted to social media show the passengers of flight U6178 evacuating from the plane and making a path through the field.
In one video, a female passenger walking through the tall green stalks can be heard saying "second birth," noting that she was lucky to just be alive.

Pilot Damir Yusupov, 41, and co-pilot Georgy Murzin, 23, were praised by the airline for their professionalism in difficult circumstances.
"Precisely due to their professionalism, self-possession and coordinated actions (they) managed to land a plane without tragic consequences," a Ural Airlines statement said.

Read more

A miraculous escape for these lucky passengers. Although it's not something anybody would want to experience it's good to know the airbus range is proving very trustworthy in this kind of event.
Superb work on the part of the flight deck crew it would seem. Hats off to them.

This Russia Today shows some actual footage from the accident. Truly heroic actions of the pilots to quickly find a suitable location to carry out a belly flop saved many lives.

A Ukraine International Boeing 737/800 has crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport killiong all on board.

The aircraft involved is UR-PSR, which is registered as a Boeing 737/800NG/MAX and is only 3 years old.
The word "MAX" sends out alarm bells.

Last edited:
I bit suspicious that one if you ask me...what with all these missile strikes going on. UR-PSR is an NG and was delivered in July 2016. Wouldn't be the first newish 737NG to go down. Wasn't it a relatively new Pegasus one that went down at Schiphol a few years ago?

Whilst we must await the facts of this crash, to say the NG version is free from faults may not be correct.
The MAX investigation is revealing the flaws with this aircraft, one of which also relates to the NG version as the same concept.
The FAA last week identified additional potentially flaws in the MAX relating to a possible short circuit in the wiring bundles in the tail of the aircraft, the same wiring complex is also found in the NG version.
Add in that investigation by CFM International has revealed a possible weakness in an internal rotor, in the engines that can shatter and Boeing has advised the FAA that a manufacturing problem on the MAX has made the planes engines vulnerable to a lightening strike.
The FAA also no longer agrees with Boeing that pilots can move from the NG to the MAX version without additional flight simulator experience.
These problems are totally unrelated to the cause of the two MAX crashes, but certainly in respect of the wiring bundles a full check of every NG and Max aircraft will be required and the FAA must wonder what still may be missed.
We must be near a redesign of the MAX, before its allowed back in service and the FAA must never again allow a manufacturer to take control, certainly The New York Times has been told by a reliable source that the wiring upgrade alone of the NG and MAX will be a huge repair job and the FAA must decide soon with the NG what measures must be implemented on the tail wiring.

I have seen loads of posts on social media today speculating as to the cause of the tragedy of the Ukraine International Boeing 737-800NG, UR-PSR which crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport this morning and in doing so killing all those onboard.
Anybody who claims to know the cause is lying and at this stage connecting it to any other event is nothing more than speculation. Please do not fuel the rumours, instead wait for facts!

Last edited:
I have seen loads of posts on social media today speculating as to the cause of the tragedy of the Ukraine International Boeing 737-800NG, UR-PSR which crashed shortly after departure from Tehran Airport this morning and in doing so killing all those onboard.
Anybody who claims to know the cause is lying and at this stage connecting it to any other event is nothing more than speculation. Please do not fuel the rumours, instead wait for facts!
I agree. By international Convention Iran is the lead investigative agency in this, with Ukraine as the state of registry having the right to send observers. Normally the state of manufacture is also permitted to have a presence at the investigation but, given the current situation between Iran and the USA, it will be interesting to see how much access if any Boeing is given.

An Iran-led investigation is always going to cause dissatisfaction amongst some people, especially in the current geopolitical climate, but let's wait to see what they come up with.

Makes me wonder, given the fine tooth comb inspection the Max is undergoing, how many other types of aircraft, both Boeing and Airbus, would be found to be “faulty” if subjected to the same in depth scrutiny.

Plane Spotter saves Pilot

A plane spotter viewing at RAF Lakenheath noticed unusual sparks from the rear of a departing F-15 and notified the base. The aircraft returned to land safely.
I've always believed that aviation enthusiasts offer an extra level of security at airports and airbases and will report any aircraft problems that they notice, or any unusual activity around the airfield which could be terrorist related.

Full credit to Ian Simpson for his quick response to the above situation. A true aviation enthusiast.

Kevin

Yes but it's amazing and frustrating how many airports are actively discouraging enthusiasts by closing viewing areas. Incapable of thinking outside the box!

My spotting area (BHX) is a local council run park. Some bright person decided to put open rubbish bins to supplement covered ones. Complained to council online and they removed them. Possibly all the zeros after the £ for cost of engine damaged crystallised their thoughts

Some airports used to have a police officer who liaised with spotters. Sadly again, they seem to have disappeared.

Yes but it's amazing and frustrating how many airports are actively discouraging enthusiasts by closing viewing areas. Incapable of thinking outside the box!

My spotting area (BHX) is a local council run park. Some bright person decided to put open rubbish bins to supplement covered ones. Complained to council online and they removed them. Possibly all the zeros after the £ for cost of engine damaged crystallised their thoughts

Some airports used to have a police officer who liaised with spotters. Sadly again, they seem to have disappeared.
I suppose there are two particular aspects that militate against the provision of viewing areas at airports.. One is the cost and the other is security. Cost in terms of setting up and operating, or at least overseeing, the facility and earmarking an area of the airport that might otherwise be more profitable with an operational-based use.

Police units at UK airports are of course members of the police force for the region or county in which the airport is sited and the airport has no operational control over what they do. My local airport is Bristol and there was a time when the police based at the airport thad a good relationship with regular spotters, being aware that at times they could be useful sources of information when crimes were committed in and around the airport. That might still be the case. I'm not a spotter - my interest in civil aviation lies elsewhere - so I have no direct knowledge of the present situation. Given that for much of the past 17 months there has been little to see, ergo few spotters, so any police/spotter relationship might be in abeyance anyway.

With many young people seemingly more and more worried about climate change and convinced that aviation is one of the villains, the industry needs to educate youngsters that this is not the case. One way is to encourage their interest in aviation with making it easier to watch aircraft at airports a good start.

LocalYokel, your comments are very true.

Yesterday, I ventured to my usual spot at BHX, breaking rule about not going during school holidays. It was bedlam for about two hours!

As it's a council run park which just happens to include approach lights and a crash gate, the council has taken measures to protect the integrity of the airport. The grass isn't cut by the perimeter fence to deter ball games. There are regular patrols by airport security inside the fence. For the small amount of litter present, luckily recent heavy rain had kept it firmly on the ground. In 4 hours I was there, no visible police presence.

Yes, aviation only accounts for 1-2% of climate change (in normal times). I admire Greta for her conviction but as is often the case, she is misguided. Heavy industry in Russia, China and USA causes more damage. Education is always a good start....

Sadly, there have been a few fatal crashes in the last week involving Russian aircraft.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock