IanFarquharson

Jul 23, 2015
Balsall Common
bhxmovements.blogspot.co.uk
Not sure what is happening here but there are workmen on site this morning removing asbestos etc.
I did here last week the building was going to be painted !
So it looks like it will be staying.
Will it become the focal point of a development on the Elmdon ?

It's a huge part of Birmingham's history so I really hope that it does stay.

It would be great if it could somehow be incorporated into a new terminal building.

Isn't the old airport a listed building? I somehow had it in my mind that it was..

I remember Bill Clinton getting off AF1 parked by the Elmdon terminal for the G7 as it was.

You could read his lips on the footage as he looked and said WOW!

It would be a travesty to lose this.

A few years back, I was did a job in south London and drove past the old Croydon terminal which looked well looked after as part of a business park. I hope the old terminal can be looked after as well, maybe as a hotel or function rooms.

Not only is the old terminal a great piece of 30s architecture it holds some very special memories for myself and probably quite a few others. I would be gutted if it was demolished but not surprised.

Isn't the old airport a listed building? I somehow had it in my mind that it was..

I've seen it suggested that they applied to have the listed status revoked. I don't know if that is true but I've looked at a few websites that show listed buildings in the region and it's not on there?

The Elmdon Building was the first 'Terminal' I ever entered back in the Sixties. Just two memories ....When you walked through the lobby, to the left was Lloyds Bank, but to the right was a small counter no bigger than a small kiosk size, but very important to spotters. As well as operating as an information point there was a large book on the counter within which all the daily arrivals were written in long hand. If there was no one in attendance we would sneak a quick look, if there was we would ask to have a peak...sometimes they said yes ! Great ! As there was no screens in those days the Arrivals/Departures board was done by hand with something like magnetized numbers and letters I think. Really ! I can remember any delays were updated on a board with chalk ! I would be sad if it went.

Not only is the old terminal a great piece of 30s architecture it holds some very special memories for myself and probably quite a few others. I would be gutted if it was demolished.

Absolutely!

The hours that I spent in there in my childhood/early teens :joyful:.

When you walked through the lobby, to the left was Lloyds Bank, but to the right was a small counter no bigger than a small kiosk size, but very important to spotters. As well as operating as an information point there was a large book on the counter within which all the daily arrivals were written in long hand. If there was no one in attendance we would sneak a quick look, if there was we would ask to have a peak...sometimes they said yes ! Great !

Just a little before my time, but I do remember a board (black felt, with horizontal indentations) into which white plastic letters/numbers were pushed, to show arrivals/departures.

Cheers

Kevin

Last edited:
No you weren't hallucinating! Someone mentioned them earlier and after searching my memory I could just about recall them. I think we tried them out once but to be honest we tended not to watch too much telly back then anyway. Sometimes would catch seaside special and Starsky and hutch on a Saturday night! (At home not in the departure lounge )

The Elmdon Building was the first 'Terminal' I ever entered back in the Sixties. Just two memories ....When you walked through the lobby, to the left was Lloyds Bank, but to the right was a small counter no bigger than a small kiosk size, but very important to spotters. As well as operating as an information point there was a large book on the counter within which all the daily arrivals were written in long hand. If there was no one in attendance we would sneak a quick look, if there was we would ask to have a peak...sometimes they said yes ! Great ! As there was no screens in those days the Arrivals/Departures board was done by hand with something like magnetized numbers and letters I think. Really ! I can remember any delays were updated on a board with chalk ! I would be sad if it went.

I think those were the landing logs i got hold of for my Book I was writting, i had about 2 tons of them.

E.

Does anyone have any pictures of the old terminal from the inside?

Can anyone envisage it becoming a proper terminal with international traffic using it? Or even airbridges? But it would be nice to see some use put to it.

Love to see some pics inside the elmdon building both then and now, have a vague memory of waving my Gran off to Spain from there

I asked the same question about pictures of the inside. There are two on the net if you look hard enough. Anymore news on what's going on? If it is going to be demolished I will get a hi viz jacket and try to blag my way in for one last look.
:(

Yes, welcome Jasgreeny.

I think we're going to have to wait for the release of the master plan before we know for certain what's happening.

If it is in line for demolition I wonder if the airport could organise some small tour groups, I'm sure it would be very popular.

Yes, welcome Jasgreeny.

I think we're going to have to wait for the release of the master plan before we know for certain what's happening.

If it is in line for demolition I wonder if the airport could organise some small tour groups, I'm sure it would be very popular.
Not sure if the management would want the publicity. I really really hope that it won't get knocked down but it does seem as though its all being kept a bit quiet which will have the effect of preventing any campaigns to save it. Can imagine the first time the Midlands today cameras are there it will be to film a pile of rubble

Good point.

If we think positively it's now having asbestos removed and is in line for new carpets and lighting, it's also been suggested that the outside will be painted.

If there were plans for demolition then surely they'd prefer to let it rot?

I'd love to see it given a new lease of life as part of a new terminal development.

Is that rumour or fact about it having some renovation work done?
From what I could see when I walked down there a few weeks back it already looked very much like it had been left to rot.
I would also love to see it given a new lease of life as a terminal building once again.
If we could get one elevens, Viscounts and Tridents back in production even better!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock