Stand to be corrected but I believe ther are reserve days for the semi finals and final but not the qualifying round.

Stand to be corrected but I believe ther are reserve days for the semi finals and final but not the qualifying round.
I think that's the case, otherwise they'd have to do something like tossing a coin or bowling at a single stump to decide the winners of these matches. What they would do if the reserve day was also washed out would be interesting.

The dogs training at the airport reminded me of some thing happened a few years back. I used to be a mobile truck fitter repairing trucks every where. I was at a customer that is a big parcel carrier and the police used to bring the dogs to train.They would plant drugs around the warehouse and let the dogs find them.One day they did this and the dogs found a lot more drugs in parcels that were nothing to do with training as someone was sending drugs through the parcel system.This was unexpected and a good find.Never did hear how this panned out.

Felt sorry for Weston Super Mare air day. The cloud base dropped with rain. The red arrows did a safe display with no height involved.It was basic fly bys with colored smoke. They did not hang around long. Such a shame.

Felt sorry for Weston Super Mare air day. The cloud base dropped with rain. The red arrows did a safe display with no height involved.It was basic fly bys with colored smoke. They did not hang around long. Such a shame.
I note that Saturday and Sunday evenings were/are also scheduled for a 'Balloons on the Beach Ascent'. I'm not sure whether that means they will be tethered. Does anyone know what happened last night?

If they are free-flying they could be taken out over the estuary or even the Channel with certain wind directions. I wonder about this evening anyway. The air seems unstable with thunderstorms around.

Further to my previous post, I've found a link to the local rag's 'rolling report' about the Weston Air Festival. One of the pictures shows what appears to be heavy rain at Weston an hour ago. Where I live on the south-east edge of Bristol it's been muggy and overcast all day but we've only had some spasmodic very light spits of rain.

I did not see any over my house last night. Today the wind would take them over the channel. BRS been on 09 all day. Last year if I remember correct they were tethered and did a night glow thing. Not heard any thing about balloons what so ever. Suppose to be fire works tonight off the pier,dont know if that will happen.

Temple Meads Station

West of England Combined Authority has earmarked nearly £27 million to provide a new eastern entrance to Temple Meads station and to Temple Quarter. In addition, Network Rail will provide £40 million over the next five years to refurbish the station roof.

All this is well short of the £100 million to improve the station that has been talked about for years. In fact, when the sum was first mentioned it was so long ago that it would be worth well over £100 million in today's values. Even that doesn't seem a lot compared with the sort of money spent on other main UK stations in recent years.

Part of TM's problem is that the station is grade 2-listed. I suppose that means most things are more expensive and more restrictive than with a more modern station. When the A1 Airport Flyer bus became a double-decker service its station stop had to be moved from the top of the station incline to half-way down because double-deckers cannot get under the listed canopy at the top of the incline. This means that passengers now have to wait in the open air for the Flyer in all weather conditions.

Another BP article for you, which may be of some interest.... (always good to restart the transatlantic debate...)

Bristol could soon have trade links with Boston, New York and Chicago
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...920#ICID=ios_bristolpost_AppShare_Click_Other

City Mayor Marvin Rees certainly gets around. He was in China last year trying to drum up investment for his Bristol underground railway aspiration.

He is a supporter of Bristol Airport, unlike his predecessor.

City Mayor Marvin Rees certainly gets around. He was in China last year trying to drum up investment for his Bristol underground railway aspiration.

He is a supporter of Bristol Airport, unlike his predecessor.
It would be interesting to know if they flew from Bristol airport or elsewhere?

It would be interesting to know if they flew from Bristol airport or elsewhere?
My guess is that they did not fly from Bristol. Had they done so I would have expected a press release by the airport with pictures. The visit took place earlier in June.

I doubt that Mayor Rees used BRS either when he went to China last year.

LHR is convenient from the area when it comes to inter-continental travel - the Bristol region owes some of its prosperity to its relative proximity to LHR. We've looked at using BRS in the past for our Australia trips but, with at least two aircraft changes en route and longer overall journey times, it's not really a viable option for us, nor I suspect for many others.

In its current master plan, admittedly published in 2006, BRS recognises the limited market for scheduled long haul travel. Whether the new master plan - we are still awaiting the draft - brings an alteration to this view will become apparent in due course. Part of the airport's already stated rationale to challenge the climate-change lobby is the fact that so many people still use surface transport from the South West to fly from London airports. More opportunities from BRS would (in theory at least) reduce the numbers.

Whether this includes a larger scheduled long haul market than was the airport's opinion in 2006 might also become clearer when the new draft master plan is published. They might well be awaiting the not inconsiderable hurdle of gaining planning permission for the annual passenger figure limit to be raised.

Bristol's elected representatives do seem to blow hot and cold about the airport. The Lib Dem-led city council of 2011 formally objected to North Somerset Council when that authority was considering the airport's major expansion planning applications at that time. The plans were passed and much of the work has now been carried out. In 2015 the city elected its first city mayor and the newly-elected incumbent (nominally an Independent but with a Liberal history) had always been anti-airport expansion. He softened a little when in office but was never a true supporter. Now there is a city mayor who is four-square behind the airport.

Bristol Portishead railway line

North Somerset Council is about to submit a Development Consent Order to the Planning Inspectorate seeking formal approval for the re-opening of the Bristol-Portishead line to passenger trains (it's currently open for freight traffic as far as Royal Portbury Dock). The application would allow environmental consent to be gained, permit works to the freight line through the Avon Gorge and obtain compulsory purchase powers for the acquisition of necessary land. A new formal agreement with Network Rail would also be entered into.

The project is part of the so-called MetroWest phase one which also includes increased frequencies on the Bristol-Bath-Keynsham line and on the Temple Meads-Avonmouth-Severn Beach line.

The Portishead line has been recognised for many years as essential to ease the gridlocked commuter road route from Portishead into Bristol.

Once up and running and hopefully established the Portishead line could also be marketed as a tourist attraction, running as it does through the stunning Avon Gorge. The TM-Avonmouth-Severn Beach line is an attractive journey itself once clear of the central and north-western Bristol suburbs, and after leaving the long Clifton Down tunnel runs in sight of the Portishead line on the opposite bank of the River Avon for a short distance.

Its been said many times that the freight line to Portbury is not suitable for passenger trains.Is this something to do with the track or signal upgrades. I have looked at some parts of track from Portbury to Portishead and that will have to be replaced.It was a strange one as when beehing closed the entire line the track was left,where as other lines shut the track was removed.When they reopeed the line to Portbury the rails and sleepers were replaced.

Its been said many times that the freight line to Portbury is not suitable for passenger trains.Is this something to do with the track or signal upgrades. I have looked at some parts of track from Portbury to Portishead and that will have to be replaced.It was a strange one as when beehing closed the entire line the track was left,where as other lines shut the track was removed.When they reopeed the line to Portbury the rails and sleepers were replaced.
I think you are right. It's to do with upgrading signalling and probably the track too. Do you remember that in 1985 steam and diesel trains ran through from Temple Meads to Portishead as part of the GWR 150th anniversary celebrations? The track was obviously still suitable for a limited service in 1985 all the way to to Portishead, but things have deteriorated significantly since then.

I rode in a DMU diesel from TM to Portishead and back in 1985 - one of the old ones where you can sit behind the driver and view the line ahead. It was specially painted in the GWR's colours of chocolate and cream - the original and proper GWR that is, not the ersatz First version currently operating. I took some cine film (pre my video days) of the journey and of various shots of steam trains around Bristol than ran in connection with the anniversary. I've since transferred the cine to video but it's analogue as are the many scenes I've taken at BRS since the 70s, in later years direct to video. I no longer do any video.

Re the DMU's, by coincidence I rode in one (late 1950s vintage) last week on the Mid Norfolk Railway, a 'heritage' line between Dereham and Wymondham (about eleven miles in length). My wife and I managed to get front seats looking ahead along the track. It was very enjoyable - even my wife enjoyed the scenery although she's certainly not interested in trains for their own sake.

I admire all the volunteers that keep these old lines going. Its hard work working on the line and also fund raising.The sleepers on the Portishead line look rotton,dont know if track would be replaced as well.They got replaced from Bristol to Portbury dock.

Seen the airport bus from Weston this morning. The bus was fairly full with pax. Is this because of the summer services or is the route picking up in general.Do we know.

Seen the airport bus from Weston this morning. The bus was fairly full with pax. Is this because of the summer services or is the route picking up in general.Do we know.
This time of year there are more people using the airport which is obviously a help to all the bus services that serve BRS. I often see the A3 on its journey between the airport and Weston and it does seem to be more popular than in its early days when few people appeared to use it. I can't remember ever seeing it 'rammed' with passengers but 10-12 are not uncommon when I've seen it, sometimes more. The A3 is a mid-size single-decker so I presume the airport doesn't anticipate hordes of people using it.

Its predecessor, the old A2 (this route number has been re-assigned to the half-hourly airport-Bristol city centre service) was a village tour bus between the airport and Weston and seemed to carry more passengers on intermediate journeys along the route than to and from the airport. The A3 is an airport bus, albeit operated by First for them like the A1 Bristol Flyer, and would be unlikely carry non-airport passengers.

Incidentally, the new A2 seems to be quite well patronised. It's a liveried double-decker service and uses the airport stop that the A1 Flyer double-deckers use. People not wanting to go to Temple Meads or the bus station often seem to use the A2 as I believe it's cheaper - and quicker to the central area (not having to go via Temple Meads) - and it terminates almost outside the bus station anyway.

Extinction Rebellion to 'occupy Bristol' for five days and disrupt traffic

This climate change group, whose members have caused disruption in and around Bristol in the recent past, now intends to begin a five-day protest and will try to disrupt key transport routes and take over public spaces. The action will begin on 15 July and it appears the focus in Bristol might be the Harbourside area because of the city's maritime history and the perceived threat of rising sea levels.

The last of the five days coincides with the first day of the Bristol Harbour Festival, one of the city's major annual festivals that attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors.

Similar five-day protests are planned for London, Cardiff, Leeds and Glasgow.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock