Wow - I think it may have been in one of our long lists? Didn't think it would start so soon and didn't think it would be daily!

Daily took me by surprise too.

I always thought that route would start 4 weekly and work from there. Oman Airs network isn't even half as extensive as the other Middle Eastern carriers, so, connections will be fairly limited, but, Muscat itself is a lovely city to visit, and the new terminal looks like it will be fantastic.

Should be made bookable in the coming weeks. It's been long rumoured this flight, we nearly got the route this year but Oman got the extra LHR slot. Once it gained that slot I thought the MAN route would be a little wait, but only 1 year, that's great.

The lack of decision in the SE is really paying off for MAN.

Off topic with the south east decision, but I suppose the point is that unless all demand for services on Oman Air originates in the south east it is merely a reflection of the demand pattern within the UK.

Good to see another one off the list - hopefully more to follow in summer 2017...

Summer 2017 shaping up to be another cracker, and so far, most of the good news is around long haul.

San Fransisco, more Boston, more Bridgetown, More Orlando, Santa Clara, Muscat, more Beijing, Xi'an. And we're only in May 2016!

And here's me thinking if rw3 didn't go ahead all this extra traffic would be heading to Paris,Amsterdam, Frankfurt etc ?

I hope the airport shout this from the rooftops. ... do we know what leakage there is from other airlines ?

Thanks user001 excellent news, i've read on another forum it will be B788s. Im suprised its daily flights, i would of thought a start of 4x weekly, then going daily when they bed in. Just hope now bookings go well and its a great success

Last edited:
Whilst great news do we deep down think this will be a success ?

I really hope so. They have best part of 12 months to build brand recognition and certainly a daily service means a real certainty of operation. I have no idea how good connectivity is.

One thing us for sure "if" this works I would have thought anything is possible.

I can't possibly see how airlines which I would have thought were ahead in the pecking order could fail ?

What price JAL or ANA Air Canada Kenyan Ethiopian Air India Alia, Kuwait and even Iran Air etc.

I would have put each of these ahead of Oman Air. Just a personal view.

It is interesting, for sure MAN has a huge presence and market from/for Middle eastern carriers and this may have impacted their decision.

The advantage of European runs from the Middle East is that it takes less than a day for an aircraft to perform a rotation. For example, 7 hours each way plus 2 hours on the ground gives around 16 hours utilisation.

For JAL, Ethiopian, Air Canada (on certain routes) Air India you are looking at around a 10+ hour flight which takes around a day of aircraft availability which I think alters such things as yield calculations.

It has worked so far for Cathay Pacific, and I would not bet against any of the above entering the marketplace over the next 2-3 years, barring any economic downturn.

Aces

Oman Air has long been rumoured, as, their new terminal and location means they will be looking to emulate their MEB3 peers.

Whether there is enough room for 4 large hubs in the area remains to be seen (5 if you count Saudia, who, let's face it, have a sizeable network also).

However, Oman Air have a great on board product, a growing network and Muscat is a great city to visit in its own right. It won't take much to fill their Manchester flights with onward connections.

The issue with JAL, Korean, ANA et-al, is that the route will be largely O&D based, given the further east you go, the connection opportunities decrease. I do believe there is demand to serve a route, but, at what price (yield) is another thing.

the lack of an India carrier is probably due to the fact we have a large, and still growing, middle eastern contingent, which will make it hard for any Indian carrier to compete. BHX has Air India due to the ethnic population that demands the ATQ link, and, let's not forget, the MAN eastern portfolio is about 3-4 times bigger than BHX meaning we have far more competition to get things set up.

Worth remembering, we do actually have Air Canada at Manchester. The fact it is via their 'rouge' offshoot is purely a distraction, and given it seems to be the direction air Canada are taking, it's likely the best scenario we will get.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock