Assuming the cost is affordable and reasonable, I think they would seriously regret not implementing USPC.

It opens up so many short and long term possibilities for MAN and it's airline customers.

As an example - look at the success of SQ51/52. It would make the thinner MAN-IAH sector that much stronger. There is no reason why this cannot be replicated with other far eastern airlines.

Also, look at our UK airlines. Both VS and TCX focus on TATL flying. It would be a significant leg up on the competition. We also have our flag carrier as a potential expanding customer in the mid term as well as the US legacies and the likes of jet blue.

Anyway - if they decide against it, I'm confident it would be remembered as an opportunity lost.

I suspect they are having second thoughts.

Great example by Dobbo but not sure MAG would use creative accounting to see the bigger picture and the unique USP this would bring.

The prestige element alone would create masses of publicity.

Cowan may have brought in not just to oversee infastructure build but keep a tight rein on costs.

Other example - just look at DUB.

A much smaller potential market (compare the populations of Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool with the island of Ireland) and look at the growth of Aer Lingus and Ethiopian's operation at DUB.

Most of this can be directly attributed to USPC.

As I was also at the TAS presentation last evening, I can only confirm what EGCC_MAN has written. I don't recall any reference to ongoing negotiations with the US (although I suppose these could still be happening) and the message seemed to be that at this stage the ball was firmly in MAN's court as to whether they want to commit or not.

It was also stated that Pier 2 is not in the present costings / plan. That also has financial implications as to who pays, airline requirements, etc. However, as mentioned in a previous TAS magazine article, the a/c stands will be so positioned that a pier could be dropped in later if necessary. Think I've got that right. Perhaps EGCC_MAN can confirm.

Personally, I hope that USPDC is introduced at MAN. But allow me to play Devil's advocate for a minute. USPDC comes at a considerable cost both financially and in terms of physical resources (segregated pier etc.). These costs must be passed along to airlines which must be willing to pay. Meanwhile, immigration technology is evolving at a rapid pace. Most major airports are installing or already using e.gates. At a US airport, most US passport holders (barring the very young) could be encouraged to use these. Then passport-holders from predominantly 'safe' jurisdictions including the UK and EU could be similarly processed. And those who hold frequent visitor credentials. Within five years, it should be possible to reach a stage where only around 10% of arriving passengers would need to be directed to a staffed booth. And that means that queueing times should be drastically reduced. The USP of USPDC - avoidance of notoriously slow queues stateside - could become a minor concern for most ex-UK passengers by the time it could be introduced at MAN. But the high costs associated with it would remain. The pace of technological change could be driving a rethink at MAG. The business case becomes less persuasive by the day.

Meanwhile, I would discourage a direct comparison with DUB based on population counts alone. Eire has a historic bond with the USA. The Irish diaspora in the US significantly outnumbers the population of Eire itself. And there is a high propensity amongst Irish-Americans to visit the old country. The market-size associated with US-Eire transatlantic flights is way out of line with what population statistics would suggest at first glance. These ethnic flows are a far smaller factor on transatlantic routes between MAN and the US.

Meanwhile, I would discourage a direct comparison with DUB based on population counts alone. Eire has a historic bond with the USA. The Irish diaspora in the US significantly outnumbers the population of Eire itself. And there is a high propensity amongst Irish-Americans to visit the old country. The market-size associated with US-Eire transatlantic flights is way out of line with what population statistics would suggest at first glance. These ethnic flows are a far smaller factor on transatlantic routes between MAN and the US.
I completely agree with this and it is certainly a major factor on flights to Boston, JFK and Hartford (I don't think MAN would even be able to support a flight to Windsor Locks), however, Aer Lingus has grown at an astonishingly fast pace in the transatlantic market since Dublin has had USBPC and does wonders with marketing with many in the UK viewing Dublin a great place to transfer to the US and it also is advertised a great deal in the States and could help fill our fledgling services with a boost of US-originating traffic. In my opinion, USBPC is a big opportunity for Manchester and it would be regretted should the opportunity be missed.

However, as mentioned in a previous TAS magazine article, the a/c stands will be so positioned that a pier could be dropped in later if necessary. Think I've got that right. Perhaps EGCC_MAN can confirm.

Agreed, Land23R. That was my understanding as well.

Who has merged the infrastructure thread with the T2 build one?

I thought it was agreed on general concensus that the T2 build merits its own thread? Also, why now after all this time.

Explanation required please.

Agree with all points.

Dublin marketing has I would argue, been much sophisticated in terms of attracting traffic from UK regional airports compared to Manchester although EI / EI connectivity is possibly less cumbersome than a Flybe/TCX codeshare in terms of a seamless transfer.

One other point again playling devils advocate if USPC is all its cracked up to be and trust me I was evangelical about this, why all the traffic flows ex Dub to Manchester and then the US?

Price price price.....!!!!!! ?

Last edited:
I have done it to provide continuity throughout the forums and to avoid unnecessary thread sprawl on the Manchester Airport Forum home page.

http://www.forums4airports.com/help/newthread/

Guys, if it's related to Manchester Airport Infrastructure, Developments & Construction then you're in the right place. If it's off-site ie. related to Road, Rail & Access then please use the respective thread for that topic.

I have moved a number of posts to the Road, Rail & Access Thread.

Just noticed on ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- that T1 petrol station due to be demolished, starting on 10th September. Apparently site to be used for temporary multistorey car park.

Similarly T2 fuel station to be closed in December.

Can this story be confirmed by any of our 'roving reporters'?

Is there any news yet on whether any new lounges are planned in the rebuild? Specifically, carrier or alliance lounges.

Are CX/QR's combined frequencies enough to justify a OW lounge?

If VS's expansion proves sustainable, then a VS club lounge? JNB and several US cities with far fewer services than MAN have lounges.

From memory, we know (or think we know) that there will be Escape and Aspire lounges in the new T2.

I gather there will also be airline lounges from Emirates, Etihad and BA.

If VA continue to add flights the clubhouse cannot be far off. The big issue is that from 6 aircraft this summer, they drop to 4 (I think) this winter. They probably need 6 based aircraft (or more) all year to justify the investment.

As for the rest, I don't know whether they will look for alliance lounges or airline lounges. I'd expect QR to be interested and Hainan's ambitions might lead to a lounge investment.

Whether CX or SQ go the airline or some other option remains to be seen.

First visit to the airport for many a month, or maybe even a year!

Nothing visible at T2 as the hoardings are too high to give any decent view.

T1 did not deliver anything constructive to comment on. The only item worth a small mention is the construction of a mini-multistory car park within the existing long-stay surface car park off Ringway Rd (opposite the concrete acoustic barriers). This may only be a temporary structure as its based on a metal framework.

OAN 64/2017 - RECONFIGURATION OF STAND 55 (synopsis)

A programme of up to 4 weeks duration to reconfigure Stand 55 into a three centreline MARS (Multi Aircraft Ramp System) arrangement. Stand 56 will be permanently withdrawn from use.

Work will be during the hours of 1100-1900 Monday-Friday from Thursday 7th September until Thursday 5th October. Outside of these hours Stand 55 will be available for use although limited to B757-200.

On completion Stands 55L and 55R will be able to accommodate aircraft up to B739/A321 size and Stand 55 an A333. Stand 55L will have a separate (bespoke) marking for Ryanair B738 to stop short.

Enterprise way will open on 19th November with a big cycle ride in collaboration with team Sky cycling.

A new BP Petrol station and drive through Costa will be built in front on the DHL shed in the logistics area. This is to alleviate the loss of the 2 Texaco petrol stations that were lost in the terminal areas.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock