Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Aer Lingus Considers Strategic Alliance

Recently, Aer Lingus has been weighing the idea of making a strategic alliance with a leading European airline. This would help it to be able to withstand the threat of the hostile takeover from Ryanair.

The carrier has been consulting with its financial advisors on a few potential alliances. Among some of the carriers being looked at are Air France, British Airways, and Lufthansa. This announcement comes just shortly after the news that the chief executive of Aer Lingus, Dermot Mannion, had resigned with effects that start immediately. Since then, Aer Lingus has been looking for ways to maximize revenue. Some think that an alliance with another airline could help to do just that. Colm Barrington will take over as the new successor until someone can be found to take over Dermot Mannion’s spot.

Ryanair has been trying to take over Aer Lingus now for quite some time. The first takeover attempt was blocked by the European competition authorities. The second takeover attempt was an all cash bid that was launched last December. It was set at €1.40 a share. This was a bid that was half as much as the original bid from Ryanair, which was €2.80. Since the second bid has yet failed again, the share price has almost halved once more.

The Irish government had opposed the second bid, this was for competition reasons, and said that it was in favor of Ireland having two leading carriers. More information about a strategic alliance with another European airline will be talked about more when more information has been released.

For more information visit: www.aerlingus.com

Source

• Admin
[textarea]Aer Lingus may quit Republic of Ireland, move base to Belfast or London

Aer Lingus may quit the Republic and move its operations to London or Belfast — in order to cut costs and stave off union problems.

Aer Lingus has applied to the UK's civil aviation authority for a UK operating license, according to The Wall Street Journal. This means that the airline could legally move its corporate headquarters to Belfast or London — lock, stock, and barrel.

That would allow it to essentially start over and force workers to reapply for their jobs under the new Aer Lingus UK rubric.

Currently, Aer Lingus is in tough negotiations with its unions to cut 676 jobs through voluntary layoffs. The company says it needs to make $150 million in savings by the end of 2011 to stay alive.

Aer Lingus has warned that if it doesn't get the labor cuts by Nov. 30, it will look at a different plan to shrink the airline with compulsory layoffs and a reduction in routes.

Aer Lingus has a huge issue with it long-haul pilots, who make up to $500,000 a year on the Atlantic route and have golden pension plans as well. Ryanair pilots, by comparison, are only paid half that amount.

By relocating to Belfast or Gatwick, the airline could force all those pilots to reapply to the new entity. It remains to be seen however, if such a drastic move will be necessary.

Source[/textarea]

Can that be right? Up to £300K per annum for Lingus pilots. And half that (£150K) for Ryanair pilots seems a lot for that airline.

• Admin
Ryanair claim that their pilots are the most highly paid in the low cost sector. I don't know if that's true or not.

Re: Ryanair

I wonder how FR will react at both LBA and NCL to Aer Lingus (AerArann) going into DSA and MME? I think that KLM at both MME and HUY may lose punters due to the far easier access to the US afforded by Aer Lingus. Time will tell!!

Bigman said:
I wonder how FR will react at both LBA and NCL to Aer Lingus (AerArann) going into DSA and MME? I think that KLM at both MME and HUY may lose punters due to the far easier access to the US afforded by Aer Lingus. Time will tell!!

I dont think they (Ryanair) will react at all. They have just announced big cut backs to a hell of a lot of there Dublin routes last week. With the Newcastle - Dublin been dropped to once daily from 9 weekly flights. By the looks of things they don’t have a good relationship with Newcastle at the moment.

The LBA - Dublin route is to get a better earlier morning departure as of when Ryanair base at LBA from March as well the route will remain to be operated twice daily.

By way I also dont think it will effect KLM's operations at NCL, LBA, MME and HUY that much. You’ve got to remember not everyone goes to Amsterdam and transfers onto an American service. KLM offer a wide variety of worldwide routes from Amsterdam and with there partner airlines offer connections all over the place.

Aer Lingus only operate Long Haul to Boston, Chicago, New York (JFK), Orlando, San Francisco & Washington for which they also dont have onward connections with US Airlines if i remember righly. I maybe wrong, Guess somebody will correct me! But don’t get wrong though the fact remains that going Aer Lingus to New York Via Dublin from Doncaster-Sheffield will be the quickest way to the US from the Yorkshire region.

New York Via Dublin from Doncaster-Sheffield will be the quickest way to the US from the Yorkshire region.
lbaspotter
Second Commander

Private messageWebsite

With the four hour wait at DUB surely a drive to MAN and flying direct is the quickest way to the US from the Yorkshire region. These services will have no effect on KLM as NYC is the only viable connection from DSA with the flight being a lunchtime rotation. People connecting to worldwide destinations will either still use KLM or go direct from MAN/LHR.

Humberside said:
SFO and IAD have been dropped. Aer Lingus offer onward conections with Jet Blue and United

Thanks humberside for that info. I only put the SFO and IAD routes on as they are still listed as operated by Aer Lingus on there website. Guess Aer Lingus have not got round to removing them from there system as like you also they have partner airlines that can offer onwards connections to these destinations,

pug said:
With the four hour wait at DUB surely a drive to MAN and flying direct is the quickest way to the US from the Yorkshire region. These services will have no effect on KLM as NYC is the only viable connection from DSA with the flight being a lunchtime rotation. People connecting to worldwide destinations will either still use KLM or go direct from MAN/LHR.

Yeh I agree with you now Pug, as before I posted my earlier message had'nt seen how bad the connection times at Dublin where for the JFK route. So my bad. But if the connection times where not as bad say something like the Boston service which is only a hour or so wait at DUB, I still think that it would be the quickest way to USA from the Yorkshire region.

But on a good note if you did go on Aer Lingus from DSA you do get clear US immigration at DUB before you fly on to the US. And once you arrive at JFK you get to go stright to domestic arrivals and dont have to cue to get through immigration at JFK. Which if you were on a direct flight form MAN it could take some time. As in the past I've heard reports for people cueing and waiting for upto 2 hours and more.

Also in my earlier I also said it i did'nt think it would have any major effect on KLM's operations.

AerLingus is terminating following routes from London Gatwick airport:

13FEB10 Lanzarote
21FEB10 Faro
21FEB10 Tenerife del Sur
24FEB10 Munich
24FEB10 Zurich
06MAR10 Bucharest
06MAR10 Vienna
27MAR10 Eindhoven
27MAR10 Vilnius
27MAR10 Warsaw

ex_crew said:
AerLingus is terminating following routes from London Gatwick airport:

13FEB10 Lanzarote
21FEB10 Faro
21FEB10 Tenerife del Sur
24FEB10 Munich
24FEB10 Zurich
06MAR10 Bucharest
06MAR10 Vienna
27MAR10 Eindhoven
27MAR10 Vilnius
27MAR10 Warsaw

So it's hardly 'happy days' for the airline. Their new venture will prove difficult for them, not just at DSA but CWL and DTV as well. All three airports have suffered from a stagnation of growth or even a decline in recent years. It will be an up hill struggle for them. Notably the airlines operation at Belfast International has been buckling under the pressure from other airlines particularly the ones serving Belfast City. One of the bosses of Aer Lingus was quoted for saying "Belfast should only have one airport", meaning the International one. So there is obviously cause for concern about their routes from the International airport.

It seems to me that EI are scratching at all surfaces at the moment in the hope there is a gap in the market somewhere. It must be very tough sharing a home -base with Ryanair.

I hope things improve for them.

Type Rated B767 said:
Has Aer Arran just become Aer Lingus Regional?

Well yes and no is the answer.

Yes they will operate as a franchise partner to Aer Lingus with there ATR72-500 aircraft on 12 Irish - UK routes under the Aer Lingus regional brand. Including routes from Dublin to DSA, MME, BLK and so on.

But No because they will continue to use there own livered Aer Arann, ATR72-200's and AT42's on there other routes, eg Cork to Belfast and so on

Check www.aerarann.com for further details.

Hope that helps a little. I guess somebody else maybe able to expain it a bit better than myself.

EI-REO ATR with its new colour scheme - aer lingus regional replacing the previous aer arran livery.

[rimg]http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/photos/EIREO.jpg[/rimg]

That's really nice. It will be good to see the Aer Lingus colour scheme more often again. I prefer it to the Aer Arann livery anyway.

[textarea]Aer Lingus flights hit by rosters row

More than 80 Aer Lingus cabin crew staff have been suspended and dozens of flights to and from its main Dublin base were grounded today, as a rosters caused travel chaos. More than 120 cabin crew have refused to co-operate with new rosters, which they say have been introduced without agreement and will cause excessive hardship for employees, with 82 of those removed from the payroll, or suspended without wages.

The disruption resulted in 34 flights (17 round trips) from Dublin to European hubs being cancelled today, affecting around 2700 passengers. Flights affected include services to Manchester, Birmingham, Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Heathrow, Amsterdam, Lyon, Hamburg, Lisbon, Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich and Edinburgh.

The Irish cabin crew union IMPACT has accused the airline of a confrontational approach and said members were available to work their old rosters.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Aer Lingus hit by industrial action

Aer Lingus has warned it may have to cancel all flights from next week after its pilots’ union decided to take industrial action.

Pilots, who are members of the Impact union, voted 87% in favour of strike action in the dispute over roster changes. The union has informed the airline that pilots based in Dublin and Cork will take industrial action from June 7.

The union said pilots will not work rostered free days or annual leave days, and will also report for duty one hour later than rostered reporting times.

Aer Lingus chief executive Christoph Mueller said this move “may lead to a full cancellation of operations from Tuesday June 7”.

He added: “This withdrawal of flexibility will destroy our ability to operate a proper schedule as we will miss our airport slot times, parking stands, gate positions and will be unable to fulfil flight connections for customers.

“In addition pilot and cabin crew operational duties will be out of sync which may result in cabin crew having insufficient hours to operate all flights.”

Aer Lingus said it continued to invite the union for talks “to work towards a mutually workable solution to this issue”.[/textarea]
http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout? ... l%20action

Very disappointing situation all round, especially in view of so many other obstacles that potentially stand in the way of air travel at the moment.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock