Just passed through AMS on my way to LCY.
Security has been fitted with 3D luggage scanners meaning you do need to remove anything from your hand luggage - what a joy!
Just place your bag in the tray along with your bits from your pockets and that's it! Then move through the 3D body scanners and you're done!
There was no waiting time for the whole of security and it took me exactly 1 minute to get through, very impressed.
Unfortunately I don't share your optimism regarding 3D scanners.

why? have you experienced them?
Yes. So long as the ownas remains with the scanner operator nothing really changes. The numerous scanner technological changes have done little to improve passenger security. In most cases (all in fact) technology has only reduced search ratios not necessarily by increasing the detection rate.

Yes. So long as the ownas remains with the scanner operator nothing really changes. The numerous scanner technological changes have done little to improve passenger security. In most cases (all in fact) technology has only reduced search ratios not necessarily by increasing the detection rate.

they are faster and much better to use from a passenger point of view. i have used them several times in AMS and also use the US security points under TSA Precheck which is an equivalent process where you don't have to remove lapstops and liquids from your bag.

Yes from a passenger perspective not from a safety perspective.

Why are they not at least as safe? Presumably the technology allows a better view of what is inside the bag so that laptops and liquids can remain inside?

I would love to elaborate but its probably inappropriate here. I have around 15 year experience using airport scanners. Rapiscan, Vivid, Smith's and the various other detection systems.

I would love to elaborate but its probably inappropriate here. I have around 15 year experience using airport scanners. Rapiscan, Vivid, Smith's and the various other detection systems.

Any experience using these new ones? I am surprised the regulators in the Uk and Holland and the US would allow scanners which are less able to detect things than the previous generation.

That's exactly the point. The scanner doesn't do the detecting it's the human that does that. Leaving laptops inside bags just because you can have a 3D image does NOT help detection.

This is the taxi and takeoff video from my flight to Manchester from Amsterdam at the beginning of the month, the flight departed from the Polderban runway hence the very long taxi.

This is the taxi and takeoff video from my flight to Manchester from Amsterdam at the beginning of the month, the flight departed from the Polderban runway hence the very long taxi.
Thanks Jerry. The taxi is longer than some flights! We used AMS regularly in the 90s and in the first part of this century and even then it could be like taking a sightseeing tour of outer Amsterdam when taxiing in and out.

I remember once we landed after an overnight flight from the USA or Canada (I forget which) at the time they were building the Polderbaan. Not only did the taxi go on for ever it was also something of an obstacle course.

I've always found Schipol to be a decent airport.

Thanks Jerry. The taxi is longer than some flights! We used AMS regularly in the 90s and in the first part of this century and even then it could be like taking a sightseeing tour of outer Amsterdam when taxiing in and out.

I remember once we landed after an overnight flight from the USA or Canada (I forget which) at the time they were building the Polderbaan. Not only did the taxi go on for ever it was also something of an obstacle course.

I've always found Schipol to be a decent airport.
Yes it is! I know from experience that it's not nice if you have a tight connection and land on it! But i do believe KLM do factor in that taxi in the block times of their flights and i'd assume other airlines do as well but it must cost the airlines quite a bit in extra fuel increasing their costs. Thanks for watching!

The full taxi and takeoff video from my flight with Delta from Amsterdam to portland. It's a long taxi!

No it's due to a shortfall in security officers at the hub. The same as everywhere else.

It's a bit more than that. It is chronic lack of staff in all parts of the airport, not just security.

Just returned back this evening from Amsterdam on an Easyjet to Manchester. Beautiful city however the airport is the most shocking experience I’ve ever had in travelling. It took 4 hours to get through security it’s only luck that we made the flight as the pilot delayed it. Otherwise we’d be stuck there. Such a shame as the rest was great.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock